free hit
counters
If you could "Lotus" a car, what would it be? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

If you could "Lotus" a car, what would it be?

So Lotus have a known history for taking somewhat humdrum cars and making them into serious weapons. The Cortina and the Omega are two examples that spring to mind.

If you could choose any car for Lotus to fettle from a current manufacturer's line-up, what would it be? I wouldn't mind seeing them re-team with Vauxhall and have a go at a VXR

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Porsche just to rub their noses in it, after the evo article, well they need the help dont they ! 

Dacia sandero - now there's serious scope there - nothing would make it worse

I think that this is a really good question - lots of interesting speculation to be had!

I thought that it would be interesting seeing what they could do to any of a range of cars from one of the big manufacturers.  Initially, I considered something like the Focus RS but soon realised that at best it would be a weight saving exercise, probably just producing a stripped out hardcore version of limited appeal. I bet that they could do something incredible with the Fiesta ST, however! I suppose what would genuinely catch public interest, and truly shine a light on Lotus talent, would be to take something pedestrian, but which has potential, and create something epic from it (think Lotus Carlton, here!) The Mondeo has always been praised for the handling side of things but (to my recollection) there's never been a 'properly' sporty variant; perhaps, it would be interesting to see what a fire-breathing Lotus version would be like! Imagine the horror on an M3 owner's face to be trounced by a Mondeo ..

No special reason for choosing Ford, here - the same principles of taking something mundane and adding Lotus spiciness could be applied to many makes. Maybe they should curry favour with Toyota (I'm thinking contracts for future engines ...) and make an uber-Avensis! :o

I like your thinking @Bee - A Lotus Mondeo would be a mighty thing.

Am I correct in thinking the previous Ford GT had a Lotus hand in there somewhere?

Taking the Toyota route, a Lotus Camry would be quite fun, as they already seem familiar with the engine. Alternatively they could do something a bit mad and skunkworks - like Rover did with their 75, replacing the whole drive train with the mustang unit.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Unfortunately today most carmakers have their own tuning divisions. Vauxhall have their RS-models, as does Audi, BMW their M-line,  Daimler their AMG,  etc. Those carmakers that don't seem to have taken a strong decision not to do something similar.

So, I don't see many chances.  Where would the Lotus brand add marketing value? 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I think Ford is probably a strong contender - yeah they have the RS division but everyone is hopping on the classic bandwagon now and I bet they'd love to emulate the iconic cream-and-green livery.

There have been much more dubious connections in the past. Rover BRM, or Civic Jordan anyone?

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

I like the idea of a Lotus Mondeo! The Mondeo may be a large car, but so was the Carlton. And the lines of the Mondeo are more sporty and pleasing IMHO, so a good sporting point. Certainly not as dull as anything from say VAG...

I'd also be very interested to see what Lotus could do with a Merc C-class. Concentrating on weight reduction and handling instead of the brute power of the AMG should make for an epic comparison. A bit like the future Vantage vs the AMG GT. I fear there wouldn't be many potential buyers though. I'd be up for one if it had a good manual box and as little driving aids as possible. :-)

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

A hot mondeo would certainly be cool, and I bet there is a racing series somewhere they could compete in. Perhaps even go nuts and have a DTM version or something, as we're being hypothetical :)

James Martin (JayEmm)

Toyota GT86 for sure.

Jaguar F-Type? It's definitely in need of some weight reduction and chassis finesse.

Lotus Prius would make me smile.