free hit
counters
USB socket installation - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

P=V*A thus the USB connection is able to supply 5 watts. Issue is the voltage is low and you will probably pull more current because of this.  If I were you I would try to power your new device from a USB charger to see if it will operate.

cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have a V6 Roadster with the convenience pack, so it has the USB socket already fitted on the passenger side.  

Has anyone ever considered the possibility of installing a subtle USB socket on the top of the dashboard somewhere centrally?   I sometimes need power up there for my phone when using it as a Sat Nav - and I hate having cables draping over the front of the dash.  If I could simply buy a short cable and plug it in up there it would be great....

i guess it's doable but would mean making a hole in the dash - which I wouldn't be very keen to do at all.....has anyone found another way?

3 minutes ago, 21gg said:

How about a extension cable and just poke it through a panel gap? Or the side of the instrument cluster surround. At least it's easy to get to and replace. 

Hi Gav, hope you're keeping well - I suspect the lovely GTE isn't seeing much tarmac at this time of year?

That sounds like a good shout re the USB - I'll have a poke around and see what the options are..

11 hours ago, Daveb99 said:

I have a V6 Roadster with the convenience pack, so it has the USB socket already fitted on the passenger side.  

Has anyone ever considered the possibility of installing a subtle USB socket on the top of the dashboard somewhere centrally?

Doesn't the stereo have a USB input on the front?  Before I installed my USB ports I used the one in the stereo with a very short cable.

16 minutes ago, TonyKL said:

Doesn't the stereo have a USB input on the front?  Before I installed my USB ports I used the one in the stereo with a very short cable.

I fitted a better head unit that has a USB input on the front, but I have a USB thumb drive in there with my MP3s on it.   The head unit does have a rear USB input (on a trailing lead) so if I could find a way through the dash top, I could potentially have that as the power for the windscreen mounted phone/Nav.

11 hours ago, Daveb99 said:

i guess it's doable but would mean making a hole in the dash - which I wouldn't be very keen to do at all.....has anyone found another way?

I also have the Convenience pack, and I chose to run the USB cable to the center console, just by fitting it between the dashboard panel gaps, using some Facom levers (also useful for door panels etc), without hurting the leather... this way, the cable just goes out near the phone (sorry, no pics) !

crd5-5-plastic-levers.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 28/04/2017 at 23:47, TonyKL said:

Ok, so I did this today and it works!  I ordered a USB plug from amazon < £10 and am now happy (well, just need to sort out drivers side).

I followed the instructions above but instead of stripping the connector I actually modified my plug to fit.  This was pretty straight forward and all I used were a pair of pliers to kink the terminals (see picture) and then it just 'clicked' into the lotus connector.

The USB plug I bought has a voltage readout on it, I'd prefer a blank on but could not find any that didn't light up so I thought this was the best options.  I also kept the cap so that I can cover the light most of the time.

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

This also worked on my 2012 S3 Elise S, cabling all there ready.

• Like 1