free hit
counters
Vanya's Turbo SE blog - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

10 hours ago, andydclements said:

Hopefully the repaired thread is fine (you'll be better placed to tell than looking at an image), however if not you can probably obtained a thread repair kit and so tapped the hole out and inserted a thread coil (such as helicoil) to salvage the old unit.

Those adapters are a PITA, I ditched mine as part of moving to early V8 style rear brakes, but at least Steve had some else it could have been a custom piece by a local engineer.

I'll be keeping an eye on them during the coming days. I've tried to do the repair at minimum financial outlay, more as a challenge for myself than anything else. I know of a pair of good condition rear brakes at a breakers which I'll probably buy anyway just to have on the shelf. I've found a V-coil repair kit for the M10x1.25 thread but it isn't all that cheap so I've not bought it until necessary! 

Also, I like how the manual states that the torque for these is meant to be 13-16 Nm or something low like that. When I redid my V8 hoses a year ago I had to tighten fairly hard to stop all weeping. Same case here. I'm guessing the spec is for fresh factory calipers and parts which haven't got pre-existing grooves in them. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Next up, how to pick a Lotus Esprit. The initial prospect of an Exige or Elise was daunting enough with regards to the fear mongering. The Esprit took it to a whole new level. This was hard core.

After 4 years of Esprit ownership it feels like it's about time to start a blog for my Turbo SE. Since taking the plunge in 2012 I've been on an arduous yet fulfilling path which has seen me develop f

Thanks everyone for reading! Time for the next installment of this epic tale: The Journey Home (and how I almost totalled my new Esprit 5 miles from home). Prior to collecting the car in May I'd

Posted Images

And back on the road! 

Set rid height, went out for a drive and boom..gotta reset ride height. Looks like it had to settle. Oddly enough the drivers side settled lower than the passenger side (there were two of us out driving). 

Initial impressions: wow! Fantastic. New rear brakes, new rear suspension = very comfortable. Gotta start fiddling with the damper settings to find the ideal balance though. 

• 1 month later...

Been a bit quiet here on the blog lately, but over IRL it's been anything but!

I am adamant about overhauling brakes this year along with the suspension and bushes. Since getting the car I've noticed the right hand front caliper has always been sticking a bit - more so when the car is driven spiritedly with the car not pulling evenly. 

With that, I decided to have a whack at overhauling the front calipers, change the discs and repack the front bearings beginning with the driver's side:

Once more, unto the breach!

IMG_5655IMG_5659

Scored disc and VERY (unevenly at that) worn out Ferodo pads. Probably original, who knows?

I liked Lotus' attempt at being user friendly by attaching the brake hose (not visible) to a bracket on the caliper so you'd only have to undo one nut instead of two - unfortunately they didn't envision a situation in which a car hasn't had the hoses touched for 26 years, all whilst being exposed to road salt. It took all the tricks in my book to get the damned thing off without destroying anything. Every year I feel I get a little wiser.

Brake hose "locking" nuts...hateful little things. These were pain enough on my V8, a nightmare on the SE:

IMG_5657IMG_5661IMG_5664

Another Lotus attempt at user friendly future service: leaving in M5 threads in the ABS ring for ease of removal. Thanks Lotus! This actually worked a charm:

IMG_5665

Now the disc was on tight as ****. No point in dicking around with a vice and a torque wrench. I got out my dad's impact torque wrench which promptly had me on my way to more entertaining procedures....

IMG_5667

Now to prise off the disk:

IMG_5886

Meanwhile, I discovered why my brakes haven't been feeling all that hot (unlike my right hand rotor after every drive):

IMG_5668IMG_5669IMG_5671

Having learned my lesson from the rear calipers, I left the brake pipe well alone and didn't try to part it from the caliper.
Some time later:

IMG_5674

The hub after some cleaning:

IMG_5888

And back together again. I didn't need a press for the ABS-sensor ring. It tapped gently into place using a hickory hammer and blunt drift (or two at opposed ends, since I had my brother helping me):

IMG_5894

Brake caliper bracket taking a bath in citric acid:

IMG_5889

IMG_5895

With everything cleaned up, it was time for re-assembly:

IMG_5898

Getting the torque right:

IMG_5902IMG_5904

So clean, so shiny:

IMG_5907

IMG_5910

Now comes the confusing part...after having set all of this up per the handbook, I've got some vertical play with the wheel on which seems to be coming from the hub. I don't believe it was there before and I judge the bearings to be in good nick (packed them real carefully too). I could tighten the hub nut a little more, but then I might be out of spec. Is play normal? Or is it simply a matter of trial and error torquing the nut for minimal drag but with zero play with the wheel on? 

In coming posts:
Finding a matching set of rear springs with original spec - will the quest ever end? SJ Sports Cars may have the answer. Also, I have a pair of S4s spec rear springs just lying here waiting to damage some poor SE owners chassis if they want 'em. 

Taper wheel bearings should run with clearance (albeit minimal).  Suggest either torque up to 5 lbs (while spinning the wheel) and then back off the nut 1/2 a flat.  However, I generally just nip mine up and then back off until I can start to feel the first trace of movement when rocking top and bottom of the wheel firmly.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Are you sure the play you are feeling is from the bearing? Movement at 6 and 12 could point to swivel pins, bearing play would be noticeable at every position, not just up and down (which is how I interpret your description, feel free to correct!).

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

1 hour ago, Escape said:

Are you sure the play you are feeling is from the bearing? Movement at 6 and 12 could point to swivel pins, bearing play would be noticeable at every position, not just up and down (which is how I interpret your description, feel free to correct!).

Filip

I get what you mean. I didn't see play at any other components though. When I grab the wheel at 6 and 12 I can "pivot"/"twist" around the hub, it's not literally "up and down" movement, but the same doesn't happen at 3 and 9. My earlier explanation was a bit innacurate. 

I will try and torque up the nut to 29 Nm and check if the play is still there, then I can gently and carefully loosen the hub nut so I can stay within spec with minimal play. Could be my bearings are trashed too. We'll see!

• Gold FFM

Usually, play at 6 and 12 indicates swivel pins or suspension arms, 3 and 9 would be steering (trackrods). For a bearing, you should feel similar play all around, or worst case moving around with the wheel due to damaged rollers.

You can have someone apply the brakes (firmly) while you check for play. If it remains, it's not the wheel bearing, because the brake will fix the disc/hub to the vertical link.

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

39 minutes ago, Escape said:

Usually, play at 6 and 12 indicates swivel pins or suspension arms, 3 and 9 would be steering (trackrods). For a bearing, you should feel similar play all around, or worst case moving around with the wheel due to damaged rollers.

You can have someone apply the brakes (firmly) while you check for play. If it remains, it's not the wheel bearing, because the brake will fix the disc/hub to the vertical link.

Good point man, didn't think about checking that to begin with. 

Update, so I did the brake test and all the play disappeared. With the hub nut done up to 29 Nm all the play was gone. After that I loosened and torqued by hand. I don't have the best spring-balance (resolution is in 1 kg...) but I estimated it was "sorta" 300-500 g - and put it all together again. The play is still there albeit a bit less than before. I've ordered a better spring balance now. This weekend I'll do the setup again, but instead I'll torque it to 29 Nm and loosen it a quarter-half turn and see what I get and take it from there. I'll also put the wheel on with the hub dust cover off so I can adjust more easily with less hassle. 

Otherwise bearing feels smooth, no problems. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Update time. Throughout the winter and until now I've torn apart the entire front suspension, having had enough of worn shocks and springs and a horribly harsh ride at the front end.

It actually began when I'd replaced the front bearings with some no-name brand from a well known parts supplier and was unable to gain the correct combination of turning resistance and hub end float. 

What had happened was that the left side inner bearing had become stuck to the vertical link spindle making it bloody impossible to remove. After some incredible tugging, which saw me flying several meters backward, we ended up with this mess:

Vanyas Lumia_20170204_16_30_07_Rich

Dremel time again. 
The first order of action was to cut through the offending bearing, so that we could have at the inner race. Thanks to the bloody ABS shield, which is made of something between butter and wet toilet paper, we had nothing sensible to pry against.

Vanyas Lumia_20170226_17_38_07_Rich

After a long long long time cutting through hardened metal, an attempt was made to tap off the inner race diagonally from behind. With a flathead screwdriver it was possible to get just enough of an angle. The thing popped off rather undramatically. 

Now I doubt anyone has missed the fact that my entire brake shield looks like shit. It was caked in 26 years of brake dust and god knows what else. Beyond it, the vertical link, lower wishbones, upper wishbones and the rest were also in a sorry state.

IMG_0065

Vanyas Lumia_20170226_17_53_45_RichVanyas Lumia_20170226_17_54_11_RichIMG_0100

It was finally time to replace things. 

Unfortunately, as we learned rather quickly, whoever had assembled the suspension didn't use copper grease, or any other kind of anti seize compound. The result was having to cut through steel bolts with a hacksaw in order to extricate the lower wishbone. Thank Christ my little brother has the patience of a saint. I'd say it took us about 6 hours for two bolts - the long bastard on the left hand side and the shorter bolt to the front fixing of the lower wishbone on the right hand side. 

Vanyas Lumia_20170318_14_52_09_Rich

What's more, we then had this legacy to contend with at a later time; misaligned pivot sleeves:

Vanyas Lumia_20170318_19_46_54_RichVanyas Lumia_20170318_19_46_47_Rich

While we're on the subject of disassembly, here's a pro-tip for painlessly coaxing out the coilovers when taking things apart:

Vanyas Lumia_20170312_18_12_30_Rich

The small puller (pusher in this case) also allows for small adjustments to align the parts when reassembling. 

With everything apart I ended up with a pile of rusted screws, and this mess:

WP_20170316_07_13_04_Rich

WP_20170409_18_15_21_Rich

I had previously managed to acquire some brand new wishbones and coilovers, but decided to salvage the rest of the original parts such as the upper wishbones, ABS shields etc etc.

Everything was sent off for shot blasting:

WP_20170408_13_27_41_Rich

Some stuff, I painted, in the most ghetto manner possible, with zinc primer and then satin black paint. This treatment was reserved for the vertical links, ARB, radiator stays and steering links:

WP_20170409_15_21_09_RichWP_20170409_17_36_52_RichWP_20170409_17_31_47_Rich

The remaining parts were sent of for electroplating:

WP_20170502_15_39_40_Rich

After that, not a whole lot happened what with everything else in life and this particular distraction:

WP_20170527_11_13_38_Rich

Fast forward to today and I've been toiling away with this to show for it:

WP_20170527_11_02_42_RichWP_20170527_11_02_45_Rich

However, as is par for the course in Lotus Land, one can't make too much progress. There always has to be a bloody setback. In my case, it was this crap:

WP_20170527_19_38_02_Rich

The lower ball joint, not even fitted to the car yet, decided to spring a leak through a pin size hole. So yet another week of delays as a new part is sent from the UK, unless my plan to cauterize the leak with a soldering iron works. The other side that's completely reassembled also seems to be sweating some grease. Right now I'm kicking myself for not buying the ball joint puller that comes with a vice allowing for the switch to be made in situ. It is going to be a pain in the ass to disassemble EVERYTHING just to get it in my hydraulic press! Alas; C'est la vie. 

Still though, let's celebrate the good things. Here's a before and after (not the same side, but you get the idea!):

Before:

IMG_0028

After:

WP_20170527_19_37_16_Rich

• Like 1

I hear you. At this point I usually expect that some part will fail. Although to be honest I didn't think it would be the rubber in the boots there. Those things are usually tough as nails! 

Everything!

Today's project:

Instead of replacing the ball joints outright, I managed to source some universal dust boots which fit like a charm. And with o-rings instead of spring clips with sharp edges, these should be even more robust....

WP_20170528_16_05_28_RichWP_20170528_16_52_21_Rich

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Short update: 

With the car on its wheels it was taken for its MOT, which it breezed through with flying colours. However, I wasn't quite satisfied with having torqued up the suspension with it resting on axle stands (what's more, I hadn't laden the car) so off I went and bought 140 kg of cement:

WP_20170624_17_30_15_Rich

And some in the back to make up for the missing gas (calculated that fuel weighs cirka 0,7-0,77 kg a liter and I needed to get from 1/8 tank to a half tank so....:

WP_20170624_17_30_29_Rich

With that done the suspension (having been loosened beforehand) was re-torqued, of course after having rolled the car a bit and bounced all the corners up and down.

WP_20170624_18_00_26_Rich

WP_20170624_17_58_59_Rich

With the car at ride height we measured 180 mm all round, give or take a few mm at each corner. The rear coilovers were height adjusted to more or less correspond to the original perches on the OE non adjustable shocks (no longer available hence the GAZ setup) and the front doesn't allow for any changes as I've got new old stock original parts. 

My brother and I have chalked this up partly due to the fact the spare wheel and jack have been removed in the front, while in the rear, there's no longer the stock exhausts or stock cat along with the EBPV system, so we're talking some pretty hefty weight reduction (gotta put everything on the scale, with the exception of the stock exhaust components which are loooong gone). Also I'm guessing the suspension will settle a bit after being driven for a while (compression of the rubber perches and bushes atop each spring etc) 

Perhaps @Jacques can enlighten me as to how much the removed components weigh? 

I'd also like to shout out a big thanks to @Sparky for having contributed with words of wisdom during the suspension rebuild as there were a whole lot of times I got stuck....

Next stop: Geo setup and finding out how far out of whack my already out-of-whack castor is after the rebuild. This time however, I'm equipped with an army of shims... 

• Like 1

Naturally,

So, the ebpv taken off the car, saves 1085 gram minus bolts, which on their hand, corresponds to the slightly longer tubing.

The Throttle Jack saves you anorther 243 gram.

And the original cat, changed for a freeflow modern sportscat, saves you 2200 gram (mine did anway).

The rear silencer? I don't know,a s I don't know yours, but it quite substantial.

There's a formula for how much that (in theory and under perfect conditions) saves you in acceleration ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

5 hours ago, Jacques said:

The rear silencer? I don't know,a s I don't know yours, but it quite substantial.

I have the SJ Sports Cars Super Sports silencer which only weighs 5 kg. 

Then you can subtract another 5 kilo or more easily.

Anything more? Aluminium fuel tanks, double header tanks, alunox tubular exhaust manifold, or something else?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Oh yeah, forgot about that - I'm rockin' alu fuel tanks and double aluminium header tanks. 

That is some other serious weight savings! Have you weighed your fuel tanks?

The double aluminium header tanks saves you another 1100 grams.

That is at least 7,7 kilo plus the weight from the fuel tanks, so far.

The spare Wheel, the Jack and the handle, saves you:

Sparewheel: 17,236 kilo,

Jack incl. bag: 5,5 kilo,

the handle for the Jack: 330 gram,

the holder for the sparewheel: 335 gram.

Total around 31,1 kilo, so far, plus the fuel tanks.

Not bad!

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Never weighed my fuel tanks, I actually discovered them in the car after I'd owned it for 2 years haha. It was a nice surprise. They look like aluminium. No idea what the originals weigh. I think @Barrykearley might now having replaced them on his incontinent V8... 

But it's cool to have shorn off so much unnecessary weight. It's really shocking how much lighter the SE is than the V8. Not that the v8 doesn't feel planted and nimble but that you definitely feel that engine behind you, daring you to keep pushing it in the corners.