free hit
counters
Hi There, From Ash (new member) - Introductions - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi There, From Ash (new member)

Ash Emile

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

:welcome:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Welcome to TLF. Must be a super rare sight Down Under. Looks great in silver with the original wheels. Very nice.

Welcome to TLF again Ash. :welcome:

You should send you details to s4simon as well. He is a member on here and has a map of our good country that shows who is where.

Any other questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice looking car. I did read once that you shouldn't use foam filters on Dellortos as they can spit back and set alight to them - might have been internet bollocks but you might want to research that.If you can get hold of an original airbox it will probably breathe and sound better and help get cool air into the carbs. It works with an air dam between the engine and radiator which yours has been removed - perhaps a previous owner thought it was preferable in a hotter climate. Perhaps it would be until you sit in traffic?

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Thanks 'Loose Cannon' for your advise. I shall investigate the foam filters vs original option. This car is yet to be registered in South Australia. It requires a full over the pit inspection. Although it is a very good example, inspectors in Adelaide, South Australia can be quite brutal. My car does not have a VIN either. The workshop manual states that these cars did not have a VIN until 1980. I have to have a VIN installed on the car. Mine is a '78. I also have a document that has en exemption, as it doesn't comply with Australian standards. 

They might also flag the foam filters as being unacceptable. 

I guess I will have to wait and see.

Thank you for your input.

See this thread for how the engine bay should look;

TBH a lot of those intermediate air dams behind the radiator get lost or left off deliberately. The are a pain in the arse to take off for what they are. You need 4' long arms if doing it on your own to access bolt heads inside the arch and engine bay at the same time!

For some reason mine seemed to be on and off continuously. Had I kept my car I was going to pop-rivet on a bracket inside the bay or use some rivnuts to make it a one hand operation

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Hi Ash, when you state it doesn't have a VIN, which do you mean there is no VIN,or, there is no plate attached to the metalwork?

The "chassis number" as it's often known , or Vehicle Identification Number, should be on that metal plate attached to the car in the engine bay, the reason it's not stamped or attached to the metalwork is that the metal is considered to be a subframe. There's a story behind the reasoning but the summary is that earlier cars had such a rust problem that the fiberglass is considered the "chassis" in order to not have to re-register when the metal inevitable needed replacing.

There isn't a plat on the chassis. The plate in the engine bay is there, and clearly shows the engine number. That is not enough for me to register in South Australia. I have to have a number installed on the chassis. Typical of our road registration system here. They make you jump through hoops, and extract your testicles through your wallet.

I have also been told that I need to install child restraints for approved child seats to pass SA rego inspection. Where the hell am I supposed to put those? Have you seen the back seats in an Eclat? Barely enough width in the seat to fit a child seat. I am 6ft tall, and I certainly couldn't travel in the back seat.

Install them through the plastic shelf? Weld them to the fuel tank?

This car has been registered in Australia for many years. Why should registering in another state incur so many headaches, and so much money, other than to line the pockets of the government.

It seems far more complicated than it needs to be. 

Seat belts is probably simple to solve, I don't have an Eclat but for the later Excel-, the bottom fixings require the plates at the base of the seats ,upper mounts go in the rear wheel arch and attach to the boot area.

Re the plate, the thing is that the metalwork isn't the chassis, the body made of fiberglass is the chassis.If the authority don't accept that and demand the subframe carries the ID then I guess you'll have to have one riveted on.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after 102 days of owning my Lotus Éclat, it's finally Historic South Australian registered. Rego SA are a tough mob to deal with. Being told by Regency Park Vehicle Inspections, I require a VIN number installed on the car, child restraint anchor points to be engineered and installed to the rear parcel shelf (that's extremely difficult with a fibreglass car) at a cost of $2500, Full Regency vehicle inspection. I have been racing around town, to get this vehicle to an acceptable standard, for registration.

None of this was required! I simply had it inspected by my car club representative, and signed off as being an original, unmodified car. 

I walked into Motor Vehicle Rego SA, ordered my custom number plates, paid the money. All good to go! The car can now be driven for 90 days a year with log book entry, at a fraction of the standard registration cost.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to TLF Ashley,

Thats a lovely looking eclat. If you want to add it's details to our register, email me at [email protected] and I will send you a registration form.

Has the car always been in Australia, or has it been imported from another rhd market? There are another couple of elites and eclats in Oz on the register - I recall a tidy petrol blue one, a white S2.2 in Queensland and also a white elite in the Sydney suburbs area.

If your car has no rear seatbelts (they were optional) it is very easy to fit them (at least the original retracting 2 point lap belts are - engineering a top mount is trickier). Lotusbits offer the lower mount plate in stainless steel at modest cost, and you will get inertia reel belts locally as they are common on forklifts and suchlike. If you pop off the rear wheel, you will find yourself looking at the moulding for the bottom of the rear seat. The steel mounting plate fits over this area and there should be a pre-drilled hole in the body which lines up with the captive nut that welded onto the plate. You just remove the rear seat pad, and you have access to the hole from the inside.

If your lucky, the rear seats should have a little slot cut into it which allows the belts to pass through. Some cars dont have the slot however (my eclat excel didnt) so you will need to cut a little hole with a craft knife.

Eclats drive really well when they are set up correctly. They handle beautifully. Things to do before you explore the handling:

1) lubricate the front trunnions (there is a little nipple accessible from below)

2) Check your bushes where the front ARB (swaybar) meets the front wishbones - they have a very short life.

3) make sure all the wheels are aligned to point in the same direction - 1 washer out on the rear trailing arms makes a BIG difference (I just discovered this after incorrect re-assembly during some maintenance...)

4) lube the long studs that run through the rear hub carriers - they seize in the carrier - perhaps not a major issue until dismantling is required, but it will add "sticktion". Gerald on here advised drilling, taping then adding a grease nipple, which is something I've now done on my cars - a worthwhile mod.

5) Check your dampers are actually damping - replacements are reasonable from the likes of Spax.

6) Check and lube the rear UJ's - they are part of the rear suspension. Clicks and creaks when moving off, or a lot of negative camber on the rear wheel are the giveaways that somethinsg wrong. The UJ's lead a hard life on these.

Have fun and enjoy the stares!

D

• Like 1

Awesome car mate and one of my Dad's all time favourites! Love it!

Anything you need please don't hesitate to ask a Mod.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)