free hit
counters
Coolant pump refitting tips - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Buddsy

Coolant pump refitting tips

Ok so I got the bugger out but trying to get the rebuilt bugger back in is being a pain!

Im coming in from below...well trying.

So who's done it before and knows the tricks. I had a quick go at it last night but think I need to undo the coolant pipe that runs across at the bottom of the chassis hole where I trying to access from.

Buddsy :vava:

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've only done it on an S1 so I'm not sure how different the S3? I did it from the top and it comes out relatively easily if you remove the alternator and crank pulley. When refitting I found it easier to put a couple of M6 studs in two of the holes to act as a guide and put the gasket on the block. Then fit the pump over that using the studs to guide it on and then just fit the bolts before removing the studs and doing those. On the S1 it's not a big deal but the rubber pipe which comes off the bottom of the water pump is very cklose to the timing belt and needs to be twisted away or it will rub - ask me how I know :angry:

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Yep. Pauls got it right but it's a begger to get in.

1 hour ago, Paul Coleman said:

the rubber pipe which comes off the bottom of the water pump is very close to the timing belt and needs to be twisted away or it will rub - ask me how I know :angry:

Yes, the hose has to be carefully positioned otherwise it will either rub on the belt or on the cam pulley the other side. Also that hose needs to be tied to the chassis at the bottom to hold it away from the engine. There is a tab on the chassis to tie it to.

I got my refurbished one in from below. It was like those executive toys... you have to turn just right, twist just right... and like those toys when you get the sequence right it goes in easy with no straining.  From memory it had to go quite high up on near the headers at one stage.  Good sense of satisfaction when you get it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I did somehow manage to get it back in from under. like Simon said above it was designed by Rubix...

It was like there is no way in hell thats going in...oh its in!??!!

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777