free hit
counters
1989 Turbo SE: Confused about VIN & Engine No - I have a Domestic Chassis with a US engine? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John Bergqvist

1989 Turbo SE: Confused about VIN & Engine No - I have a Domestic Chassis with a US engine?

My father has bought a 1989 Turbo SE, with the following VIN: SCC082910KHD65037 and the following engine no: LP910890326008 (Looks like it should be LB rather than LP - probably a mis-translation over the phone).

Which is confusing me as from what I can see from the VIN number, I have a domestic chassis (D) yet a US engine (6)? The Engine number also states that it's a US engine too (L)? What's the explanation? Did all SE's have a US-spec engine in them, regardless of which market they were actually intended for? If not, is there anything special/different about the US engine in the SE?

Finally, what does the "PAS" means for the engine number identification, as described here: http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/ETechnical/EngineNumber.html ?

Edited by John Bergqvist

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That link you posted is for the later engines.

Your Father's 89SE should be LP

L= 50 states 

P= High Compression + air conditioning

910 of course, 

6008 was just a few dozen before my engine

And there should be a "C" wrapping around as shown in that link, which is for the Chargecooler on the 89SE

There was no PAS (power steering) on the 89SE.

As for the markets, there was also

A = Japan

C= Domestic

F= Sweden /Australia/Switzerland

H= Canada/ USA 49 States

J= California

L= 50 states.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Thanks. I'm still confused about why the VIN shows that I have a domestic chassis yet a 50States/US engine? Did all SE's have a US-spec engine in them, regardless of which market they were actually intended for? If not, is there anything special/different about the US engine in the SE compared to a domestic one?

My '89 SE also has 'D' for domestic chassis and '6' for 50 states engine. My '90 SE had 'A' for Australian chassis, with the same '6' engine. As far as I know the car never went down under, but was first registered in UK and then made it's way to Germany and finally Belgium. I wondered about the difference between chassis and engine spec as well when I first looked it up.

Engine numbers both start with LP, for 50 states spec and high compression + AC (according to my manual).

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.