free hit
counters
It's finally arrived... My Visium Roof :) - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

It's finally arrived... My Visium Roof :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looks stunning , like you say fantastic mod that i am sure plenty of people are going to want after seeing it, I think the Italian guy will be a lot more busy pretty soon me thinks..:)

A

17 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Wow - is that glass or plastic composite stuff ?? 

Looks fab

Polycarbonate. They do two versions, this is the cheaper of the two. It has the outside covered in an anti scratch coating. The more expensive one is coated both sides (I couldn't see the point myself)

Being polycarb, it's also pretty light, I've not weighed it, but at a guess I'd say a chunk lighter than an OEM hardtop from my old S2.

22 minutes ago, LotusPilot said:

Simon, will you be bringing this to show-off at Brooklands ?

Would be rude not to ;)  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

Looks stunning , like you say fantastic mod that i am sure plenty of people are going to want after seeing it, I think the Italian guy will be a lot more busy pretty soon me thinks..:)

Well I know at least one chap (a Tesla guy) that wants one.. I suppose a possibility of a group buy if there's enough interest.

They have been around for a while, but I suspect it was a bit niche back in the day.  Realistically few would pay nearly £2k for a roof for an Elise back in 2008, but the Tesla guys thought nothing of dropping this kind of money on their £100k + cars.  

Add to that the GBP to EUR swing since then makes them a chunk less expensive, and Lotuses prices are creeping ever upward, maybe now is the right time ?

TBH This would be a fairly easy thing for Lotus to source themselves, Targa option would be pretty fashionable given the 911 Targa release ;)

18 minutes ago, Buddsy said:

Wow I bet that changes the whole feel of the car. (Im not being sarcastic either!) That looks an ace idea.

Buddsy

Huge difference Buds.  Very hard to explain, but subjectively the car just "feels" bigger.

Compared to when I used the soft top,  I find my self sitting up straighter, not trying to scooch down to see under the top of the windscreen frame as much.  Of course the space is the same, and the top of the windscreen is still somewhat in line of sight at times, but obviously something is hardwired into our brains. ( I guess a bit like the trick roller coaster designers use to make you duck as you go under bits of support which are miles above your head!)

8 minutes ago, LotusPilot said:

Perhaps we should start thinking about our "North of Watford" convoy to MBW; two sparkly-grey roadsters already :-)

Sounds like a plan.

• Like 1

Looks good but also not quite right profile?

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Yep it's ever so slightly out. I'm guessing the mold was taken from an S2 Elise with the hoop cover and the integrated hoop cover in the Exige rear clam is just a tiny bit different.

Shy of Lotus OEM'ing such a roof, I'll make do :)

That looks really good Simon.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM

Wow, totally loving that glass roof. Superb and nice one.

It would be areal shame if Lotus could not offer this, or, at least provide the access for a local UK manufacturer to create a version and offer up. We have a wonderful heritage of "garage workshops" and "automotive engineers" and this would I am sure be a popular product for Elise and Exige owners and would truly transform the ownership experience in the winter.

Just love this mod. Any chance I can get one for the Evora too!!! Now that would be cool, a dark tinted see through roof that would be SR'esque....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Simon, if it gets too unbearably hot for you on some days, you can always opt to install the clear UV films which blocks up to about 80% of UV rays. I use them on all my cars and they really do the job. 

On 4/16/2016 at 10:27, C8RKH said:

It would be areal shame if Lotus could not offer this, or, at least provide the access for a local UK manufacturer to create a version and offer up. We have a wonderful heritage of "garage workshops" and "automotive engineers" and this would I am sure be a popular product for Elise and Exige owners and would truly transform the ownership experience in the winter.

Just love this mod. Any chance I can get one for the Evora too!!! Now that would be cool, a dark tinted see through roof that would be SR'esque....

Thanks.

I've been out in the car a fair bit since the roof arrived, and you are right it definitely transforms it in this sort of weather. (Sunny with intermittent rain, but still a little chilly). I really love it.

Time will tell if it turns the car into a hot box in the height of a UK summer, but so far so good.  A work colleague has a Merc SL with pano roof, and he hasn't had many issues in this regard, so I'm hopeful.  Admitedly I am a tiny bit concerned the Merc has a better A/C system designed for this from the outset... we will see.

This is the view of the sky yesterday ;)

Look up.jpg

I'd love for an OEM one (or even a UK manufactured item) to come available.  I'm going on the MLOC factory tour at the end of the month, and have been in touch with Neil Turner in customer services (looking to source the double din central binnacle from the Tesla Roadster among other things, my car has been perfect and I have no complaints). I suggested he might to have a look at the roof while I'm there. (Not holding out much hope anything will come of it, but if you don't ask... ;) )

As for the Evora, I guess it depends if a Roadster version ever materialises, certainly I've heard plenty of rumours since the 400 became federalised again. Given what I use my Exige for, I'd be close to the front of that queue, and first mod would be trying to find a manufacturer for another pano roof ;)

• Like 2

On 16/4/2016 at 11:27, C8RKH said:

Couldn't agree more! Lotus should be looking into some extra roof options for its cars. There's this, or the "targa" type removable panels we keep on hearing so much about for the upcoming Evora Roadster. This type of mod is a cheap way for Lotus to make its cars even more desirable for both prospective and current owners. Don't understand why they don't do this.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Price wise, let's just say comparable to an OEM body coloured hardtop.  

It's a bit tough to be more exact because they are only priced in euros and there are some options. There has also been a big swing in EUR/GBP since I ordered mine, which in effect makes them a chunk more expensive now :(

Hi Simon,

I have a roadster as well, was wondering if you needed to purchase any additional mounting component to fit the roof on? Also if the removal/installation process takes long at all... Cheers great roof I have seen it installed on an Elise before, the owner loved it.

3 hours ago, Edwin Chan said:

Hi Simon,

I have a roadster as well, was wondering if you needed to purchase any additional mounting component to fit the roof on? Also if the removal/installation process takes long at all... Cheers great roof I have seen it installed on an Elise before, the owner loved it.

Hi Edwin

Nope, no additional fittings, it has a set of pins that locate in the front where the soft top locks in. These are on a aluminium plate, with a hex key bolt that tightens the plate in a guide built into the roof's frame for adjustment.  

The rear has a pair of aluminium "hooks", which clip under the plastic molding where the rearward soft top pins go. These are held into the roofs frame with two bolts that pass through a slot to allow the hooks to slide fore/aft for adjustment.  There is a notch cut into the bottom of this plastic piece from the factory (I'm guessing for the OEM hard top).  These hooks are finally dressed with a nice capping to make it all look "factory".

Sub 10 minutes to fit on first attempt. I suspect I could get this down a bit with practice.  I would say faster than the old S2 hardtop I had on my previous gen Exige many moons ago. (This had 5 covers + a central fixing in the middle of the hoop, but I'm testing my memory as that was 5+ years ago).

TBH Removal / refit time isn't really the problem. More of the issues is, in the same way as my old Exige, once the roof is on you are committed for that journey as you have the same storage issues. I'm planning on driving to the Black Sea over the summer (c. 4k mile trip), and I'm torn whether to take it or not. It will be a god send on the Autobahns* on the way down, but a draw back on some of the mountain passes where you just can't beat some wind in the hair.   If I do take it (and that's the way I'm leaning) I guess it will be a pretty good test, and I will post back my findings :)

(* speaking from experience about finding the limits of the soft top at speed, I now know why the Roadster has an electronic speed limiter ;) )