free hit
counters
Recon engine suppliers to avoid - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Recon engine suppliers to avoid

Did a search on here before I posted and only found one thread that was also asking for engine recommendations, but there wasn't a lot of info on it.....I'm shopping around for a 2002 S2 recon engine as mine of 119k miles gave up the ghost and has 3 cylinders full of water.  The last time the head gasket was done the head had to be skimmed and welded 3 times, so it's definitely up the spout.  My other half is willing to drop the old one out, put all the necessary bits on a recon one and re-fit it so I don't need a COMPLETE "just drop it in, ready to go" engine, just the block/head and sump, pistons/rings etc.  I think the exhaust gasket has gone too, but until we drop the engine out we'll not know.  Apologies if this is a bit nonsensical but I'm not right on with all the technical bumf, that's my OH's department.

Any places I should avoid?  I don't want to just randomly pick somewhere off Google, would rather hear first-hand accounts.

Edited by L666

Photography portfolio - www.rache.co.uk

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be calling Dave at ES Motorsport if I were you :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I recall in the only other thread I saw about recon engines you recommended the same guy, and the reply was that the OP had had a few bad experiences with them.  ES have done work for me now and then and I had to take the car back as there were still problems, so hmmmm not sure on that one :/

Photography portfolio - www.rache.co.uk

I'd recommend them still, I know a couple of people who've had engine and gearbox replacements done by them. Alternatively, I've another contact I'll send you via PM who's local to you :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.