free hit
counters
Anyone got a spare rear wheel hub? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Anyone got a spare rear wheel hub?

Well, I joined the tray-top gang a couple of weeks ago. :blink:

image013.jpg

The reason is that my right rear wheel hub and outer drive shaft have worn away. The wheel spins freely on the drive shaft, and therefore no drive to that wheel.

I've tried getting a replacement wheel hub from the major Lotus parts suppliers but have had no luck. They have indicated they can get me an outer drive shaft for 200 pounds, but no hub.

So if anyone has a spare wheel hub for an S2, I am willing to talk a deal (I'm in Australia by the way).

One of the reasons why my parts wore out is probably that the wheel hub that was on it when I purchased the car was the wrong one. I'm guessing it might be from an S1. The first picture below shows the wrong part, and the second picture shows the correct one from the rear left wheel on my car. I know that the right rear was the wrong part because it was too narrow and the split pin did not go through the castellations in the hub nut (third picture), as they did on the left side.

image012.jpg

Incorrect hub above. Notice the difference behind the hub compared to below.

image011.jpg

Split pin not within the castellated nut.

image005.jpg

This actually caused the wheel to become loose on the drive shaft as the hub nut loosened a couple of turns. For a couple of drives before it sh1t itself, I started to get a small feeling that the back end of the car was trying to steer itself whenever I accelerated or braked :( .

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Edited by Denzeldude

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude :D

i have been searching and searching and searching.

afraid the only place i can find a reference to the S2 hub: Lotus Bits

Mike Taylor at:- [email protected]

Or phone New phone number 01926 633211 to speak with Ian during office hours (9-5 Monday to Friday) or Mike on 07866 255614 out of hours,(UK numbers)

the part num for your car rear hub is b079d4037f

i thought it may have been the same as mine with the compomotive hubs , but the numbers are way out

(b082d4071f) i have 2 of these spare :lol:

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Sorry to hear your troubles :D

I know it's no help but I managed to buy one off ebay a couple of years ago. One of mine got mashed when the washer holding the lower link in place bent which meant everytime I accelerated the steel link ate it's way backwards into the soft alloy hub. I couldn't understand why the car kept pulling to the left...got it tracked, wheels balanced, rack & u'js checked, replaced track rod ends and was still scratching my head! spotted it by accident whilst greasing the rear u/js. In effect it was causing a massive toe-in on the rearwheel which was pushing the car round when my foot was on the gas (which is most of the time!).

Mike Taylor @ lotusbits is definately worth a try.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Thanks for your efforts guys. Although the hub is listed on Lotusbits, they don't have any.

Simon, are the driveshafts still available at that sale or has the price gone up? I've had a look at the parts list on http://www.lotussurplusstocksale.co.uk/ but there is very little there. I guess everybody bought up big on the day.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to need to get one or both parts fabricated.

Actually I just saw the email on the sale website so will send one off.

I don't suppose anyone knows a parts cross-ref (if there is one)?

Edited by Denzeldude