free hit
counters
original 'silver' Giugiaro - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mayevora

original 'silver' Giugiaro

It's not at Beaulieu - They have the sub Esprit on loan from the Ian Fleming Foundation in the US until January '08 but no Silver Car... :D

I've emailed him, but it's not on his current for sale page...

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/4200_...lDealerID=11793

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I just phoned Jan Luhn in Belgium.

Its M700003 the red car.

The current owner has it all apart and wants to show it at the Techno Classica in Essen this year.

He doesnt know what he wants for it yet moneywise, but he wants to get Giugiaro to sign it :)

I think hes all excited because the Boomerang fetched a million dollars. :D

Dscf0025.jpg

Edited by WayneB

SUNP0003-1.jpg

So, what "Esprit Prototype" is being referred to in this article:

http://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Club_Lotus...ington_2004.htm

I guess not the elusive Silver Car?

That was refering to the Esprit Prototype IDGG 01

I just phoned Jan Luhn in Belgium.

Its M700003 the red car.

The current owner has it all apart and wants to show it at the Techno Classica in Essen this year.

He doesnt know what he wants for it yet moneywise, but he wants to get Giugiaro to sign it :)

I think hes all excited because the Boomerang fetched a million dollars. :D

Oooooohhh ... wonder what 0100G is worth then ...lol

Can anyone tell me what the phone number is on the piece of card infront of the car? :D

Dscf0078.jpg

Is that the photo you suspected was taken more reciently of the silver car Mark?

concept.jpg

I have some images of it taken on the same basketball court with Ital Design logos on them (so they were probably taken when it was new) :)

GiugiaroPhotos.jpg

Edited by WayneB

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Sorry to tell you this Dan, but thats not an Esprit prototype. :(

Its the Audi Karmann Asso di Picche that Ital Design did in 1973.

AudiKarmannAssodiPicche.jpg

Wayne - thanks for the correction, should have run it by you first of course :P My Italian is poor, but surely it's too good a looker to be called the "Pixie's Ass", isn't it? :)

OK, so the info on the Club Lotus France website is wrong... i'll email them and tell them this.

However, the story still appears to stand from the articles quoted that the sequence was:

(Clay models)

External styling mock-up (chassis M70C001?)

Silver Car (chassis M70C002?)

Red Car (chassis M70C003)

S1 #1 (chassis ...0100G)

Are you happy you've tracked down the Red Car then via your contact in Belgium? At least if it's not still on a half-open trailer in an orchard I'll feel a bit happier :D

I know I keep banging on about the other prototypes and the sequence of when they were built, on what chassis, and what they looked like. If this is considered irrelevant to this "Where's the Silver Car?" thread then please tell me to STFU... but I think that we should just keep in mind all the known prototypes when discussing the Silver Car so that we don't end up confusing each other :)

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

Can anyone tell me what the phone number is on the piece of card infront of the car? :D

Wayne - you have a PM with some names and numbers :)

Wayne - you have a PM with some names and numbers :)

Wayne - I've got some more info for you if you can clear down your mailbox a bit!

Dan

the red car was at donny a few years back, up for sale at some high price, i sort of remember some disscusion about it on yahoo , maybe a group buy???

the black and white photos earlier in the thread on the siver car have differnt bonnets the one with CC in the pic has some scoops in it

some different pic in the Graham Robson book "Lotus since the 70's vol 2 Esprit Etna and the V8 engine"

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Wayne - I've got some more info for you if you can clear down your mailbox a bit!
Sorry about that Dan, I didnt realised it was nearly full.

I appreciate all your help as I know you are busy. :D

SUNP0003-1.jpg

the red car was at donny a few years back, up for sale at some high price, i sort of remember some disscusion about it on yahoo , maybe a group buy???

Howard - that was me, and it got nowhere at the time :D

See here for the pictures as it was in 2003.

Edited by Dan

Dan

Caught up with all this a few hours ago.

Just to summarise, and from what I know, I think the known facts are that it was built in aluminium on a stretched /widened Europa chassis and that it included three details that made it through to initial production - tartan seat inserts, two-spoke steering wheel and Wolfrace wheels.

I'm not in the office now until Wednesday and will have a look through our archives then. In the meantime I'll email William Taylor of Coterie Press, Jeremy Walton and Olav Glasius in Holland to see if they can shed any light.

I'll talk to Lotus as well - has anyone asked Brian Angus if he knows anything? If not I will.

Kimbers, have you asked your Dad?

Jeremy Walton has already been emailed over the last 48 hours and I've PM'ed Kimbers to ask MJK who's overseas at present. Haven't done Brian Angus - thanks Alan.

Good work so far chaps. Keep them coming.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

See here for the pictures as it was in 2003.

I have to agree with your final sentence on your page - hope it hasn't deteriorated much more over the last 3 years. :D

I have to agree with your final sentence on your page - hope it hasn't deteriorated much more over the last 3 years. :D

That's an intersting page. Real shame IDGG01 isn't being restored. IDGG01 stands for "Ital Design Giorgetto Giugiaro 01" and the registration was artifical and not road legal.

Here are some more pics of the Silver car, with Chapman and Giugiaro:

1_1.jpg

2_2.jpg

Maybe it received a light remodelling and was sold on to this gentleman....

delorean.jpg

....who in turn took the secret to his grave.

rip_john_delorean.jpg

i take it IDGG01 isn't owned by Jimmibondi then :D

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Spoke to Brian Angus yesterday - helpful as ever and he's been checking his factory records but no luck so far. Brian said he hadn't heard of the car for a long time.

I've also had replies from William Taylor:

Alan

I am afraid I have no idea where this car is. I was very keen to find it when we were working on our Esprit book, but had no luck. I always beleived it was owned by Giugiaro Design Studios and that they had it in storage somewhere, but despite several letters, e-mails and phone calls to Giugiaro we never had any response from them. Not even an acknowledgement that they had received anything at all from us. This was despite the fact that I met with Fabrizio Giugiaro at Goodwood, when I gave him a book and he promised to keep in touch!

Good luck with the search. do let me know if you find anything out, or I can be of help if you come across any leads in the USA.

See you at Donington.

William

and from Olav:

Hi Alan,

A very good chance that Giugiaro still owns it,

normally they don

Thanks for inquiring Alan. The last that was heard of it was, it used in wind tunnel tests at MIRA in 1973 (and was found to have a great deal of up lift), but then nothing heard of since.

Only a guess, but maybe the car was dismantled and used to develop IDGG 01.

Thanks Alan.

Someone, somewhere must know. Keep trying troops :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

despite several letters, e-mails and phone calls to Giugiaro we never had any response from them. Not even an acknowledgement that they had received anything at all from us

Pot. Kettle. Black.

(eh Wayne?)

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I have a pretty strong suspicion that the silver car was broken up to make the red car :D

It was never a running prototype, just a static display piece (like the Etna), the chassis was a cobbled up Europa one , all the gauges etc. were dummies , It would have been a huge job to make it a functioning , road legal car( to be sold like the Tapiro or the Boomerang)

My guess is to save time and money , MJK, Oliver Winterbottom, Tony Rudd , Colin Chapman and of course Giugiaro cannabalised it and used many of the components (interior, wheels, chassis etc.) to speed construction of the first fibreglass bodied prototype, M70 0003 (or IDGG01 as its called)

Maybe Mike or Tony Kimberley could confirm or deny this when there around? :lol:

Edited by WayneB

SUNP0003-1.jpg