free hit
counters
My first few months with an Evora 400. (Be warned it goes on a bit) - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Colin G

My first few months with an Evora 400. (Be warned it goes on a bit)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Super post Colin and like you I could not take to the 400 shape when launched, but now, well, it's grown on me and I appreciate it (still not sure about the back spoiler but that is all) for what it is. I'm saving up my pennies young man, as I'd like to think I might be driving your red 400 when you set off for Canada, so take good care of her for me!  Really glad you're enjoying the car and hope you get many (but not too many now) happy miles in her. Enjoy the NC500 too, I'm hoping to do that in early September when the tourists have gone home.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

:lol:@C8RKH You can't have his car... it's a +2 and that would ruin your driving experience :D

In fact, slightly OT, but have any 2+0 400's been registered?

• Like 1

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

The seat pads are just velcro'd in and will be removed and on put on fleabay / in the loft the weekend I take it home. That Lee is not a problem.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

How much of an improvement is the 400 to the SR, looks aside?

I would pay £10k more for the 400 for looks alone but cant help thinking the SR is the sensible choice.

Edited by Evo400

@Colin G one of my first trips with the car may be up to Edinburgh to visit a friend, maybe you can tell me if you approve of my choice of colour ;)

Very glad to hear you're having a good time with the car. Only makes me more excited to pick up mine. As a point of interest, mine is having a new battery installed too because as it turns out the new batteries are evidently not that great at their jobs. Worth knowing.

The thing about the Evora in general for me, is that it does something very few other cars can. I know plenty of cars which are supremely comfortable and nice to be in when pootling along, or in mild traffic, but when given a clear B road can fall apart. Some, like my Z4MC, were absolutely brilliant when giving it a thrashing, but hopeless when driving at more sedate speeds. The Evora is an absolute weapon when you want it to be, but when you back off it still feels plenty special. The air intakes in the mirrors and the supercharger sitting proud behind you just remind you that you're in something awesome. And the noise. mmmmm...

I echo your sentiments about the cars speed. Hence in my test drive I said it didn't feel fast, but it felt QUICK. There's a corner I know which I once took in a Land Rover and felt like I was going to roll over, looked at the speedo and I was only doing about 50mph. A few weeks later I took the same corner in a Ferrari and didn't even think I was trying hard - 105mph!

@Evo400 I definitely cannot lecture anyone on making their mind up, however I would say the only way you can know is by driving both. I originally went looking for an S, but decided to go for the 400. As it happened, buying an SR didn't appeal to me. Simply a quirk of my finances at the time. Several dealers will have both for you to try back-to-back, which is the fairest way. If you have the finances, there are a few 400s available for sale as ex-demo cars that are potential bargains. PM Me if you want specifics

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Nice write up Colin. Glad you are happy and you made the correct choice for you. Ultimately that's all that matters ?

Not looking at the classifieds is a sure fire way of knowing you are happy. Sadly for me i keep looking at hangar111 site to cost up tuning mods.

like you I am loving lotus ownership and all that accompanies it. 

2 hours ago, Evo400 said:

How much of an improvement is the 400 to the SR, looks aside?

There's some info in our Evora 400 review about this. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

very interesting post Colin, enjoyed reading it very much...looks like a ton of people are all queuing up for your car!!

Well hopefully a thread like this will show they have a very long wait ahead......

Weirdly since buying my car I've had four or five people on here ask me to contact them if I want to sell my car. Bit of a puzzler, it's not as if there aren't identical cars to mine sat on dealers forecourts right now!

Forums eh? :rolleyes: :lol:

17 minutes ago, Colin G said:

Well hopefully a thread like this will show they have a very long wait ahead......

Weirdly since buying my car I've had four or five people on here ask me to contact them if I want to sell my car. Bit of a puzzler, it's not as if there aren't identical cars to mine sat on dealers forecourts right now!

Forums eh? :rolleyes: :lol:

Yes but those examples haven't been driven by Colin G... :respect:

• Like 2

My evora 400 is the worst purchase I have made in my life! I love cars and drive over 50 000 miles per year around the EU and can't bare to drive the evora for long enough for it to even warm up.

The general quality of the car is the lowest I have experienced in years and simply cannot be compared in any way to its German rivals.

When I asked lotus to fix my many problems I was told that most of the leaks, rattles, and squeaks were characteristics of the car.

I am now in a legal battle with lotus and honestly wake up some days considering trashing the car with an axe as it is of no value to me and I don't sell shit I throw it away!

BE WARNED

I'll have it if you're throwing it away :lol:

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

14 minutes ago, Simon on tour said:

My evora 400 is the worst purchase I have made in my life! I love cars and drive over 50 000 miles per year around the EU and can't bare to drive the evora for long enough for it to even warm up.

The general quality of the car is the lowest I have experienced in years and simply cannot be compared in any way to its German rivals.

When I asked lotus to fix my many problems I was told that most of the leaks, rattles, and squeaks were characteristics of the car.

I am now in a legal battle with lotus and honestly wake up some days considering trashing the car with an axe as it is of no value to me and I don't sell shit I throw it away!

BE WARNED

Oh dear. Best to cut your losses and go back to Stuttgart.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

I'll have it if you're throwing it away :lol:

Nah, I'll have it as I'm closer to Leicester; would make a nice daily driver instead of my Leon FR, whilst the Evora S1 can be used for special occasions  :P

Edited by EuropaSman
  • Like 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

One topic about your complaints is quite enough Simon, please don't post the same content all over the forum. Thanks. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Anyone can buy a lemon from any conpany. Sorry you have such a bad experience. 

Nice post Colin, totally agree with the 400.

I just came back from a short blast in mine, I love it, the sound is AWESOME.

• Like 1

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

23 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Where abouts are you in Worcestershire @dalepearson

Pershore area, yourself?

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

Over by Bromyard chap - never seen a 400 round these parts :rofl:

post up some pics of you have any....always good to see a local lotus. You get out to any local haunts ??

Only here once

There are some pics in my detailing thread.

This is my forth Lotus now, I get to a couple of meetings mention on here, used to go to MLOC meets alot back in the day, but don't get much free time these days.

• Like 1