free hit
counters
"Singer" Esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Just got inspired by watching a episode of "Drive" visiting the Singer shop in LA on Youtube. 

Now I'm inspired to investigate how a "Singer" Esprit should look. Making a Esprit on the Singer motto "if you are allowed only one car (Lotus/Esprit) what should it be?" A car fit for a grand tour, trackday and daily usage. My considerations, Esprit S1 style body with Turbo HC chassis and engine underneath. Engine tuned to 250hp and 15"or 16" S2 style wheels. Padded simple roll cage. Target weight of 1000kg. Maybe as a easy route change a turbo body to S1 style, 

Or would a Esprit just not fit such a style, maybe the futuristic body should be left unchanged. And only 60's style metal cars suit the "Singer" treatment.  

For inspiration; 

• Like 1

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got inspired by watching a episode of "Drive" visiting the Singer shop in LA on Youtube.  Now I'm inspired to investigate how a "Singer" Esprit should look. Making a Esprit on the Singer mot

Posted Images

Completely agree this would be a great idea. I'm currently building (or rather having built) an Alpine A310 and that's the idea in terms of finish I want on that but hadn't considered doing it on an Esprit. My only concern would be that the Esprit  is a little cramped for everyday use and think the philosophy behind a Singer is the ability to use your ideal car daily but modern comforts. I'd go with an S3 perhaps as they are the cheapest but defifinitely add power steering and A/C. Change the seats to give a little more room and perhaps S2 style or slot mag wheels. Probably an N/A HC with factory sunroof, lower suspension and a deeper front spoiler.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

I've thought that the Esprit would lend itself to a 'Singer' treatment for a while now. I liked the look of the fuel caps on the Singer Porsches, so have bought a set of S2 ones for my Turbo (just need them chrome dipped). I have a set of split rim Work Wheels similar in style to the original BBS ones on an MR2, and think they'd work well as a modern take on an Esprit.  A bit more offset to fill out the arches would be a must though.  My choice of materials and colour for my planned interior re-furb is heavily influenced by the Singer Porsches too. Now just need to find a big pile of cash somewhere and get it done. (Or more realistically, just get the carbs rebuilt sometime this year and drive the bloody thing)

I have also thought about this, but singe is slightly different it is taking a modern car (964) and giving it a retro look with modern capability. The Esprit Is a case of taking a retro car and making it modern. You might want to look at something like aston workshops or JD Classics and their upgrades for classic cars for ideas. I also think a 911 is more usable day to day.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Surely with the Esprit it's just a case of unbolting the fibreglass bits and bolting an S1 body onto a V8 rolling chassis? Install the V8 loom and whatnot and you're away. 

I don't think the S1 body would fit the V8 chassis. Also I think a 4cyl suits the Esprit better as the V8 is to heavy.

If you take a late S3 turbo, and take of side skirts, change the bumper, rear lights, spoiler, wheels and interior for S1 spec would  you end up with a car looking like a S1 or S2? Then as a last nice addition make some S2 wheels in 16" by imagine wheels. 

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

I used to deal with a company that did the faux-retro Porsche bit. It's very in-depth but ultimately what you wind up with is a weird half-breed. I think with an Esprit surely a better bet, if you're desperate, would be to give the car to a trimmer for a total re-do of the interior, have the exterior freshened and perhaps fit more modern suspension - you'd have to be very careful not to wreck the Lotus-ness of it though. Changing the engine would be interesting, the only thing that springs to mind as being appropriate is one of the engines used in the Elise/Exige. Or you could take the later units used in the GT3.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Could be interesting for a total resto of a wreck S1, S2 or S3 with new chassis and engine GT3.

Interior like a  S3 (Turbo) HC.

Would for me the best “singer” style if money is not important.

Andy Clements has an older bodied Esprit with S4 Chassis and engine etc so it can be done. but thats not quite the same as a Singer, that has uprated electrics, etc...

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

As far as I know with most of these Singer-type vehicles they tend to go backwards - ie. take a modern car and make it look old. Rather than updating an old one. Both are probably just as complex in reality. The good thing with Porsches are the amount of aftermarket and spare parts is huge - simply by the number of the damn things made.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• 2 weeks later...

That actually looks pretty nice!

So if we're going to properly 'Singer' an Esprit, we would have to take a Stevens or at least a late S3 and backdate the exterior to look like an S1.

I think this would be a great project!

The clean original lines and lightness of an S1

The simplicity of the S1 interior crafted from modern lightweight materials.

The chassis and running gear from a late Stevens with the upgradeability of the gearbox, suspension, brakes, electric's etc.

The drivability of an NA, Maybe a late 9 series engine, Zeus casting, ported, gas flowed, balanced and fuel injected.

:wub:

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2016 at 17:18, plumdeplakmuis said:

Just got inspired by watching a episode of "Drive" visiting the Singer shop in LA on Youtube. 

Now I'm inspired to investigate how a "Singer" Esprit should look. Making a Esprit on the Singer motto "if you are allowed only one car (Lotus/Esprit) what should it be?" A car fit for a grand tour, trackday and daily usage. My considerations, Esprit S1 style body with Turbo HC chassis and engine underneath. Engine tuned to 250hp and 15"or 16" S2 style wheels. Padded simple roll cage. Target weight of 1000kg. Maybe as a easy route change a turbo body to S1 style, 

Or would a Esprit just not fit such a style, maybe the futuristic body should be left unchanged. And only 60's style metal cars suit the "Singer" treatment.  

For inspiration; 

gee... might thoughts exactly!   same s1 body, same 250hp NA, same HC s3 (toyota front end) chassis, same size 15inch wheels (wolfrace style even though i luv the speedlines and think they are the best of all esprits).  

i paid a visted to the singer shop were my ex college roommate works in creating the cars.  he  introduced to rob, the owner of singers and it confirm to me the esprit would be the perfect car for a similar transformation that i had in the back of my head for decades.  unfortunately there is nothing i can use on my 81 s3 NA even though its in fantastic shape.  it just has the wrong components.

minor difference is integrated roll cage, updated pedal assembly, bigger brakes, 225 50 15f 245 50 15r (silver proto had 265 in back).  carbon lightweight hood, doors, deck-lid otherwise stock S1 looking body.  

big question for me is keep the Citroen transaxle or not?  like the inboard brakes hate the slow shifting.  having a lighting quick change modern box with proper gear-set to keep the high rpm motor spinning would ad immense smiles over the stock box.

Surely the problem you have is there aren't many gearboxes that will fit in that space? It might even be simpler to just create a space-frame from scratch and put an Esprit body on top of it, but you won't really have an Esprit then.

James Martin (JayEmm)

I wouldn't think there would be a space problem. I've seen hewlands and Audi transaxles back there.  

Btw rob at singer used to be a lotus designer.  they about a half dozen of them there under construction.  Up close they are stunning under the skin   Pics don't do them justice 

image.jpg

Edited by pyropolymer
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2016 at 04:24, plumdeplakmuis said:

I think a 4cyl suits the Esprit better as the V8 is to heavy.

Since you brought it up: As someone that has owned, driven, and worked on a 4cyl Esprit for years, and have also driven many other 4cyl Esprits, both early and late models, I can speak from experience that the only people that would say the 4cyl suits the Esprit better than the V8 are people that don't own the V8.  

It's not a lot heavier of an engine, and it drives so much better in every way.  And it's easier to maintain, which of course, only 4cyl owners would say the 4cyl is easier to maintain, and of course they would be wrong.

I love all Esprits, and wish I could own every model variation that ever came out, but the bottom line is that the V8 is just so much better of car than the 4cyl version in every way.  And it should be because Lotus engineers just kept making the Esprit better every year.

Edited by lotusespritse