free hit
counters
Evora 410 Speccing! - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Evora 410 Speccing!

anthonyyule

So I'm heading down to MMC this weekend to finalise the spec on my 410 which I have ordered :)

As it is a weekend car I am remaining true to the ethos of the model and will not be adding in any weight-increasing options. If I had required satnav/ music and air-con I would have gone for the 400.

At the moment the spec looks pretty bare - but that's just the way I want it - ill get some mud flaps fitted and finalise the colour. It wont be a track car and I'm therefore undecided about the manual or the auto? I'm going to drive a 400 manual and an Exige auto back to back so that I can make up my mind once and for all. General consensus appears to be that the auto is much improved?..... I'm tempted - but I would hate to make the wrong decision.

colour wise - I'm somewhere between Solar Yellow/ Metallic White/ Toxic Green or Sky Blue (see Evora 400 colours thread) - but as of this morning I think that Toxic Green is definitely the favoured choice! Is it true that Toxic Green is flekked with gold paint and therefore takes on a gold hue in certain sunlit situations? And is Sky Blue as close to "Le Mans Gulf Blue" as you could get - like Porsche Riviera Blue?

Delivery appears to be slipping due to the glut of left-hooker 400's which are currently being built for the US market.... but I'm hopeful that it will be delivered by late-late summer.

My own SR will therefore be going up for sale at some point in the next few weeks - a sub £50K solar yellow 64' plate S SR with EV430 upgrade, full 2ubular exhaust system, barge board and 5.5K miles of any interest to anyone out there? :):) 

Edited by anthonyyule
  • Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'd be interested in your views on the new IPS. I realised that even though I could see benefits in an auto with my last SR, I'm still very much a manual man, and with the 400 version it's one of my favourites in a long, long time, probably since the S2000. (Which I rated enormously)

The auto sounds great and let's out a lovely crack from the exhaust on up-shifts and pops on the way down. It's super quick and you'll be travelling at big numbers very soon doing this, it's a hoot. That said, it's a little agricultural still at lower speeds and the gearchange on the manual is a delight. Tough call, but a nice one to have to make. Drive both in the 400 if you can, the Exige auto is very different.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

28 minutes ago, Bibs said:

The auto sounds great and let's out a lovely crack from the exhaust on up-shifts and pops on the way down. It's super quick and you'll be travelling at big numbers very soon doing this, it's a hoot. That said, it's a little agricultural still at lower speeds and the gearchange on the manual is a delight. Tough call, but a nice one to have to make. Drive both in the 400 if you can, the Exige auto is very different.

Hi Bibs,

It wont be possible to drive the 400 auto.... MMC only have an auto demonstrator in the Exige. How does the auto differ in the Evora? - can you quantify it? Is it still different software and set up to the Evora or is it just due to the increased mass of the Evora that it isn't the same?

To be fair... my budget is pretty much maxxed with either the special paint OR the auto.

On the basis that Im always been a manual driver.... I think I would probably favour having a nice colour over the auto.... but Im very very interested to hear your thoughts as its so difficult to find good reviews on the latest auto.

35 minutes ago, Colin G said:

I'd be interested in your views on the new IPS. I realised that even though I could see benefits in an auto with my last SR, I'm still very much a manual man, and with the 400 version it's one of my favourites in a long, long time, probably since the S2000. (Which I rated enormously)

Again - great to hear your thoughts Colin. I'm on my second Evora at the moment and 3rd V6 manual ('61 Evora S, '63 Exige S and now my '64 Evora S). In each I have seen an improvement in the way the manual feels and behaves. To have you say that it is improved again is something else.... and to compare it to the S2000 (which generally everyone who has driven one rates the gear change!)

I believe that I really "want" an auto (but by auto I mean race car experience flappy paddle - which I don't believe the Lotus auto ever will be)..... and its for the auto to demonstrate that it is worthy of me making a commitment to it.

A few months back I was in the market for a new pick-up and I decided that I also really wanted an auto because it would make the journeys I do less frenetic. However, the auto ruined and dominated the driving experience to the point where it was a complete show stopper. I settled for the manual and I'm perfectly happy. I'm going to test the Lotus auto with the same air of scepticism!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Evo400 said:

If you want to remain true to the ethos of the model then it must surely be manual.

As for your car, I know someone who may be interested.  Let me know the details.

Hi Evo400 - let me drop you a message later tonight once I get home. I will attach some pictures and give you the full spec.

I think I tend to agree with your comments re: the manual too........ :)

The TCU in the Evora has been recalibrated to change in 0.4 seconds compared to 1.4 seconds in the Exige. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

6 minutes ago, anthonyyule said:

And that's even in the very latest '16 plate Exiges too?

The quicker gearshift is currently limited to the 400 only. Have you read my review?

http://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/driven-evora-400/

On the famously bumpy country roads around the Lotus HQ, I had the chance to first try the Automatic Evora 400, a rebranding from the IPS of old. If you’ve read the Long Term Reviews, you’ll know I’m an IPS fan and the biggest improvement here is the shift time, from actually pulling the paddle to being in the next gear. Lotus have pulled this out of the hat, dropping the time taken from 1.4 seconds to 0.4 seconds which must be industry leading for a torque converter paddle shift box. The lovely, satisfy crack from the exhaust seems more pronounced as you shift up higher through the range and there’s a decent auto-blip on the way down, leading to well matched downshifts keeping the car smooth and a very satisfying burble and crackle from the exhaust during the over run. This isn’t just a mandatory blip that just occurs, the car will consider a few factors including RPM, speed and brake pedal pressure so if you’re just coasting up to some traffic lights or a junction rather than screaming into a hairpin on track, it’ll not happen.

• Like 1

Evora NA

Same auto gearbox, so no diff which is one of the finer features of the 400.

Evora NA

• Gold FFM

I get the appeal of the Toxic Green, I really do...

... but I just can't get the Uma Thurman/Kill Bill thing out of my head and so would have to be Yellow for me.

Whilst the IPS/Auto seems to have been massively improved, I can't help feeling that in such a focused car you would rue the lack of a manual gearbox - but that is purely a personal thing.

I for one, am massively jealous.  I love my S, hugely.  But a 410 would be 'kin awesome.

This Uma Thurman thing?

12641e244965986f88a1c89b5a059770.jpg

• Like 2

Evora NA

2 hours ago, Bibs said:

The quicker gearshift is currently limited to the 400 only. Have you read my review?

http://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/driven-evora-400/

great write up Bibs.  I had previously read it - but it was worthwhile going back for a refresh. I thinking I am erring towards the manual - but I hope to be able to report back after Sunday with a definitive answer either way!

• Like 1

If it's an occasional car then it's got to be a manual! Whilst the auto might be sorted the world is thankfully waking up to the FACT that manuals are more engaging (no pun intended!!) than auto's. If it was for everyday or track intended then yes an auto could be argued.. Go manual!! 

Toxic Green ?? A bold bright colour is a must, I'd be just as tempted by the White if the Green is a bit garish or too much. 

Whilst the rest of the world is talking about GT4 this 911R that there is now a proper Chapman esk purists sublime British racer out there and in true Lotus marketing style about to go under the radar!!!?

The perfect Saturday morning/ afternoon... Enjoy! Soooo jealous 

If I were buying a new Evora right now it would be a sport 410. Toxic green and a manual gearbox, wonderful choice!!

However, I have to question your sanity on not specing aircon?

Understand your thinking behind it but it's going to be one seriously tough ask when it comes time to sell an 80k car without it (advertised as a factory stripped back car or not), and it's not like it can be retro fitted afterwards.

The amount of additional weight it carries is probably equal to a quarter/third of a tank of fuel at most. If weight is key, and it's only a saturday car then I personally would spec it and just run no more than a 2/3 full tank for the same effect.

Gav

Edited by TheKevlarKid
  • Like 2

I agree with you Gav. Very few people will want to pay 50/60k private sale anyway, couple that without having aircon that virtually everyone wants now even on a fiesta you would be looking at a tiny market. And a dealer will give a rubbish trade in value too because of similar reasoning, it's going to be very tough to sell on when the time eventually comes.

my personal view is that this car is actually aimed at the American market, I don't see why you would spend the premium over an Exige which is still going to be faster than a 410 (based on some unscientific runs with @gm77 in his 400, I thought the exige had it covered) but having said all that if the op is keen, it's going to be a pretty rare car in the UK so well done for putting an order in!

My very first Lotus was an early S2 exige with a similar spec to what the op is suggesting above, it even had the manual window winders. I wanted it for doing td's at first and then is was eventually to become a race car conversion so it was exactly the spec I was after. 

Only 450 miles on the clock it had sat at the dealers for well over a year before I came along and that was for a car less than 30k (in what you would think is a more appropriate car not to have aircon...). I got it for a steal in the end, they were on their hands and knees begging me to take it away!!

A £1500 investment now would save way more than that in the long run and when the time does come you have just increased the market place for the car by twenty fold.

• Gold FFM

I was very tempted by the Sport 410 but wasn't quite sure I liked the look of the two-piece CF stuff. Still a great looking car though. The seats I really love the look of, I also like the fact it is 2+0 only.

In the end it was mostly impatience and money that sent me down the 400 route. I would have specced a 410 with nav, air con, sound deadening etc... and by that point it would probably weigh nearly the same as a 410.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the "hardcore" spec, but come sale time it will take longer to find a home I think. That being said, other hardcore cars (eg. BMW CSL) were almost always specced with the luxuries put back in, so the "real" ones are quite rare and desirable to some as a result.

I'd agree with @TheKevlarKid and go Toxic Green, Manual.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Air-con is less than 20kg

Yes, less is more. But as someone who has spec'd almost everything back in - why?

Its circa 7-8k to do this, over an Evora 400.

If as I am led to believe the seating position is significantly lower then it should be perfect for me.

If I were to purchase a brand new 400, and change the seats I would easily spend £4k on the seats, trimming, mounts etc.

Therefore, for an extra 4-5k I am in a 410. More exclusivity (if it were even needed) and a teeny bit more power and a teeny bit less weight. 

Yes, going down a 400 might make more sense, but that argument just carries on, may as well extend it to buying used.......

Toxic Green is going to look bonkers, in a great way. But do spec the air-con back in. if you're happy to hoon in the winter in her you'll regret it if you don't.

An unfortunate fascination with Lotus, and proper drivers cars.

All caused by S75 LCF back in 2002, a mustard yellow GT3, and someone on here's got her.....

7 hours ago, fesuvious said:

Air-con is less than 20kg

Yes, less is more. But as someone who has spec'd almost everything back in - why?

Its circa 7-8k to do this, over an Evora 400.

I don't understand your comments Im afraid? - Ive had no intention of speccing almost everything back in? - In fact Im quite determined on the opposite - I like the fastidious approach that Lotus have taken to further reduce the weight from the 400. This won't be a daily driver.... so why load it back up with toys and gadgets which increase the weight and detract from what Lotus have (very successfully) tried to achieve here? For example, I have no interest or desire to have satnav when the exhaust sounds so great. And Im still fairly certain that 20Kg is 20Kg (i.e. a skelp of unnecessary weight in anyones book!)

10 hours ago, TheKevlarKid said:

If I were buying a new Evora right now it would be a sport 410. Toxic green and a manual gearbox, wonderful choice!!

However, I have to question your sanity on not specing aircon?

Understand your thinking behind it but it's going to be one seriously tough ask when it comes time to sell an 80k car without it (advertised as a factory stripped back car or not), and it's not like it can be retro fitted afterwards.

The amount of additional weight it carries is probably equal to a quarter/third of a tank of fuel at most. If weight is key, and it's only a saturday car then I personally would spec it and just run no more than a 2/3 full tank for the same effect.

Gav

I must be literally the only person in the UK that dosent EVER use aircon then? - well me and my wife. Never had. Always got it as part of some pack or other - but never felt the interest or desire to use it - and haven't ever sat up late at night sweating because I have to spec it on my next car. 

Questioning my sanity for not speccing it? - I don't use aircon, I don't have a desire to use it, I consider the weight of the new 410 to be THE selling point (therefore negated if all the luxuries are added back in), id rather spend the £1.5K on options elsewhere (such as going towards the paint), the car will only be used in the summer (in dry weather) when I can get the windows opened to hear the exhaust. 

Its not a matter of (in)sanity - its a considered view given why i want to buy this car instead of a standard 400. Lets be honest.... Im prepared to spend £10K more than a fully loaded 400.... so I must have specific reasons. Saving £1.5K in my wallet isn't really the main driver.... I just don't see the point in buying something which I will never use TODAY for the benefit of selling on to someone else TOMORROW. 

Edited by anthonyyule

On 4/29/2016 at 15:29, anthonyyule said:

great write up Bibs.  I had previously read it - but it was worthwhile going back for a refresh. I thinking I am erring towards the manual - but I hope to be able to report back after Sunday with a definitive answer either way!

Bibs... I drove the Exige Auto today and I must admit that I really did like it. It was a little slow in auto, but certainly manageable in sport/ race. If the 400 auto is as vastly improved over the Exige as you say - then I think I am sold on it. I was speaking to the factory on Friday and have been reliably informed that the software in the 410 will be upgraded further still with even faster/ more aggressive mapping than even on the 400!

On 4/30/2016 at 11:05, auRouge said:

If it's an occasional car then it's got to be a manual! Whilst the auto might be sorted the world is thankfully waking up to the FACT that manuals are more engaging (no pun intended!!) than auto's. If it was for everyday or track intended then yes an auto could be argued.. Go manual!! 

Toxic Green ?? A bold bright colour is a must, I'd be just as tempted by the White if the Green is a bit garish or too much. 

Whilst the rest of the world is talking about GT4 this 911R that there is now a proper Chapman esk purists sublime British racer out there and in true Lotus marketing style about to go under the radar!!!?

The perfect Saturday morning/ afternoon... Enjoy! Soooo jealous 

Now Ill be honest. I must admit to really enjoying using the paddles. Call me weird if you like.... but I really do get the sense of occasion from pulling on the paddles and changing gear that way. To the point where the lack of clutch pedal/ gear lever isn't so much of an issue. I just had really good fun mucking around with the auto box - letting it redline in manual (without changing up and over riding which was interesting), and generally hooning around. I wasn't sure what to expect... and yes it was a little ponderous in auto, but in manual it was fun. And given the blips on the downshift (which are very crisp and fast), i personally wasn't left feeling short changed from the experience :)

If the 410 is better than the 400 - which in turn is substantially better than the Exige auto.... then I think it could be a great addition to an occasional B-road blast car :)

Each to their own.

For me it's the seating, and chassis / geo changes. But then mine will likely be on track as much as heading across the moors, in winter, summer and all inbetween. 

They have shaved 5% on the weight, give or take. 20kg is less than a 1.5% weight penalty.

Not even Senna would feel that on the road.

A 400 with 1/4 tank or a 410 with a full tank.

The point other posters are getting at with air-con is that it's a no cost option in the long run. 

However, as with everything, it's personal choice.

An unfortunate fascination with Lotus, and proper drivers cars.

All caused by S75 LCF back in 2002, a mustard yellow GT3, and someone on here's got her.....