free hit
counters
Capping rails - nightmare ! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi All,

I have received my capping rail clip on pieces from SJs (chrome/plastic) that are supposed to be riveted on to the body and then the capping rail 'clips' into this and the sides screwed down.  Well, I am stuffed if I know how this is supposed to work !  When I finished riveting it down, the capping rail only fits in at the back, but doesn't even come close everywhere else !  Unfortunately, the previous owner had filled all the old holes and never had the chrome piece in - instead, just had the capping rail screwed into the sides and some double sided tape to stop the front lifting up.  I am fast thinking that this might be a solution too !

I have seen someones post on here with lots of pictures how they did this job - and I did mine the same, but it just doesn't line up nicely.    I have ended up taking the whole thing off, filling the holes with fiberglass filler and I am thinking that it might now be best to attach the chrome piece to the capping rail, then silicone it underneatth to stop it moving, then attach the capping rail to the car with the screws and yes, double sided tape at the front.

Any other suggestions, or is this a known @[email protected][email protected]%% of a job ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I did mine, I recall thinking I wouldnt like to do it again! Then I had to do the other side.... Obviously you also have to 'trim' the trim before riveting it down. Mine was a close but not

When I did mine, I recall thinking I wouldnt like to do it again! Then I had to do the other side....

Obviously you also have to 'trim' the trim before riveting it down. Mine was a close but not perfect fit - viewed from the front, the chrome has a few wobbles in its length but nothing like you describe. I also wondered about fitting it to the capping rail first but that would definitely compromise the seal you are after. 

If the capping rail fits on its own, which I guess it must, the issue will be fitting its edge under the chrome part of the trim. Again, IIRC, I had to accept a less that perfect fit beneath the trim edge, since I had fitted the trim snuggly against the body molding all along. Error. The rail doesn't fit that snuggly - like many things on the car!!

I suppose you could fit the trim to the rail first and then use loads of good quality sealant but again, why would Lotus not have done this in the first place I'm wondering.

Sorry I cant offer more help apart from solidarity, Reg!

• Like 1

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

When I had mine done at Surface & Design the guy who did it mentioned he had problems similar to you. It seems the SJ replacement is not exactly the same profile as the original. It doesnt look the same either as it is a silvery finish rather than chrome finish. In the end the capping rail does not fit nearly as well as it did originally. 

I am not sure exactly what he did in the end but it might well be similar to you suggest above.

That sounds right. Rather than fitting under the trim, much of my rail is just 'offered up' to it. Looks fine though and seal has not broken down in 3 years (just 27 more to go to beat original) I think my attempts to get a true fit resulted in the wobbles I described earlier.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I picked mine up from SJ last week, and Steve said you need to remove (i.e. Cutt off) the vertical plastic from the top screen edge backwards, although having glanced at it in situ, I'm not entirely sure, as where would the rivets go?

someone has done a detailed fitting description on here though, might have been Fabian or Paul Coleman

good luck