Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Boot Bag - any pictures? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Boot Bag - any pictures?

Hi Guys,

just got my brand new boot bag from SJ's.   It came with seven press studs.  Just wondering if anyone has a picture or two of the boot bag installed in their esprit so I can see where the press studs go - as the previous owner of my car removed them, filled the holes, repainted boot and carpeted so I can't see the old locations.  I suppose I can guess, but would be a lot more help if I can see some photos of an actual install.

thank you !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Steve - Here you go.

5 are very obvious

y3m31V16Et1LynQWeYzQvD9fhWjnKHNiYoa6p5n_

y3mfPyPCbxVGa9namliTykz1P91VNpK4byFSLUTK

And you can easily pop them on/off.

y3mvj22vxORbwNJvteOOsv-1dvdOH53GJz40SKmO y3moNSPj3mXV59W0viPmFuqtNSNloAf5HIU8pEWl

The two at the rear are hidden - you can see them in this photo.

y3m14NokFX82pMGRYcWUW04yZTwZvUad9obkAQ_c

The bag sort of folds back on itself. On the last picture, you can see the top of the two little squares which are the fasteners - I assume that they are the same as the others.

• Gold FFM

Andyww is correct as my first S3n an 89 had the same, but my second S3 which was only 1 year younger is completely different as it doeesnt have the bag, only the cover held with presws studs all the way round.

@Andyww - thanks for that, saves me trying to pull them out to see how they are fastened :thumbsup:

thanks guys - so now I'm really confused !  So, I get the five easily spotted ones, but are you saying that it only uses five press studs and that the bag of the bag is screwed in with screws on a metal strip?  Then what are the extra two press studs for?  Sorry, just can't picture it !

• 3 months later...

It's just a zipped up bag. There are no flat surfaces behind the bag on which a carpet would go, plus you have the studs where the bag connects to the body. If you have flat surfaces and no studs, you probably need carpets. No flat surfaces and studs, you need a bag.

• Like 1

I took the bag out of mine...it was of the type where one edge is retained by a steel strip and screws. Got loads more space for luggage without it!! Can fit a quite large suitcase in the boot now.

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Thanks Chris & John, looks like i should have carpets then - there are a couple of press studs but they are not in the right places. So do the carpet pieces just glue on to the inside of the body shell? what about the rear lights? oh and looks like my battery cover board is missing. 

I could use the extra space as well so looks like carpets are best for me too. 

Funnily enough ive just also ordered the boot bag from SJ, Here are some photos of mine from my 85 S3. Hope it helps :)( Im just refurbing the boot floor hence it being out.)

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 05/05/2016 at 15:08, Andyww said:

The bag is attached with screws at the rear folded-over edge, using a strip of metal and spire nuts on the body.

@Andyww old post for you here.....I could do with your help please. Can you show me with a couple of photos how the bag attaches with the strip? I have the bag in place with studs only and the spire nuts are also there. I didn’t think I had the strip but have recently found it, so just need to see how the strip and bag attach and also could do with knowing what size of screws are needed so I can get this fixed together as it should be. Do the screws just fit into these spire nuts and tighten.....daft question I know but I’ve never seen these spire nuts before?

Cant get any pics right now but if you imagine putting the bag upside down on top of the spoiler with the attaching part of the bag, with the holes, facing downwards, line the holes up with the spire nuts and fit the screws, through the strip, then bag, into the nuts.

Then the whole bag can be up-ended 180 deg into the boot, so the attaching part ends up being folded over the strip.

12 minutes ago, Andyww said:

Cant get any pics right now but if you imagine putting the bag upside down on top of the spoiler with the attaching part of the bag, with the holes, facing downwards, line the holes up with the spire nuts and fit the screws, through the strip, then bag, into the nuts.

Then the whole bag can be up-ended 180 deg into the boot, so the attaching part ends up being folded over the strip.

Cheers @Andyww  that makes sense👍 Don’t suppose you know what size and length of screw is required?

Don't forget to get a scrappy piece of wire for when the toggle snaps off

y4msyTfmB8mewUcuvxsUJ8FeCotWCTDest3NoJWX

As mine did in the 1980s

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Don't forget to get a scrappy piece of wire for when the toggle snaps off

y4msyTfmB8mewUcuvxsUJ8FeCotWCTDest3NoJWX

As mine did in the 1980s

Yeah the original toggle/zip is pretty difficult to pull and has to be done with care. Unlikely to need to use it much in reality, so just really wanted to secure the bag properly for show. Feels good having it properly secured now as intended. Can’t believe I had the bar all this time - had put in somewhere safe after I got the car and only came across when tidying the garage🤦🏻‍♂️😄

On 09/08/2016 at 03:25, Mattzx said:

Is the boot bare inside apart from the bag? No carpets or panels etc. i have an 84 turbo with bare boot - no bag, carpets, panels or anything. 

It might be the case that if the car was ordered with a boot bag option, there are no carpets. 

• 1 year later...
On 04/05/2020 at 22:40, stephenwhyte said:

Yeah the original toggle/zip is pretty difficult to pull and has to be done with care. Unlikely to need to use it much in reality, so just really wanted to secure the bag properly for show. Feels good having it properly secured now as intended. Can’t believe I had the bar all this time - had put in somewhere safe after I got the car and only came across when tidying the garage🤦🏻‍♂️😄

How are you getting on with the boot bag Stephen? I’m considering it but wondering how big and practical it is compared to the bare boot. 🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JusNoGood said:

How are you getting on with the boot bag Stephen? I’m considering it but wondering how big and practical it is compared to the bare boot. 🙂

I think I’m the wrong person to ask - there’s museum pieces seen more action than my Esprit in the last couple of years. A house move, Exige purchase, then Elise purchase means my Turbo is a garage queen......and I couldn’t tell you the last time the boot zip was unzipped. But the boot bag is a good idea but more space available without it.

Justin - you do get more room with the bare boot, but I would have thought that smaller things might get lost, or bags bump up against things that they shouldn't - ignition cut out, drain pipes etc.

Having always had a boot bag in mine, I've never had any issues with practicality, and it has always seemed big enough to me.