free hit
counters
Sadiq Khan to extend ULEZ zone - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Andyww

Sadiq Khan to extend ULEZ zone

I thought a vehicle with classic tax on 7 sept 2020 is exempt so built before jan 1981. After that it’s £24 or wait for the rolling 40yr rolling classic car taxation to catch up. A ridiculous situation for modern classic owners but indicates there is an exemption. 

Germany btw has a massive ‘old timers’ presence .

Black n gold

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes it does appear there is 40-year exemption, so thats at least a change from originally proposed which was no exemptions at all.

If this has been talked about before then sorry but I am seriously angry 😡 about this. 

I live in South East London, truth be told (thanks Nes) actually Kent and travel with essential work equipment into London at least 10 days a month if we are busy that can be 25 days a month and that &*£”! Khan is now bringing in the Ultra Low Emission Zone. 

My van is 3 years old in March and I was going to buy it, oh but no, I am not now, as it turns out, that it will cost me £24 a day to drive into inner London for 2 years then in 2021 the Ulez is going to include everything within the North and South Circular. Well the £12.50 as not in the CC zone. 

That means every car/ van I own is subject to this 24hrs a day 365 days a year, including my wife’s 3 year old BMW! Now I am kinda lucky as the van lease is up in 8 weeks so I am having to buy a new Euro 6 compliant one. We always go to the cinema in Greenwich in 2 years we will never go. We done a straw poll on the motorway on the way back from Hertfordshire today and 80% of them vehicles are buggered. Commercials are £100 a day! 

This is ludicrous, what 7 years ago we were told to drive diesels now this, so I am going to trade a perfectly good van in the next 8 weeks,my wife’s car is worthless in 2 years  and the Loti which must have paid their green credentials 20 years ago and their emissions must be in nothing in the real world are not allowed either. 

This country only has one way of sorting anything, not by forward thinking,  but by tax. 

This will f&£k so many businesses it is beyond a joke, not mine as I was lucky 

Dan E/taxed 

rant not even started to be honest

ps. Please don’t give me you shouldn’t live in London crap this is real world stuff that is going to bury a lot of businesses and people 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ps - for us country straw chomping numpties - ‘tis just fine. 

Even managed to sneak in and out of Wales today without even needing to show my passport - gonna be proper fucked after Brexit with all the border checks 

Only here once

• Thanks 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

What you mean the buses with 6 people on? 

• Haha 1

Things like this get implemented but who voted for Khan to do this? Some snowflake living in hackney with a trendy cycle.

100% this is about money. Squeezing more money from average people trying to get by.

pushing people into buying or even better leasing a brand new car each year...

buddsy

• Like 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Sounds like a great way to strangle business’s or anyone who is trying to not live off the state. This country really sucks currently. 

They will do the same when all the cars are electric. Which no one will own, we will all lease these cars , as repair costs will be to expensive . It’s well know that we can’t hit the 2040 target because the lack is power. If we started building power stations today we wouldnt have enough power to charge the electric cars. Rant all you want Dan as your not wrong. 

• Like 2

I havea Land Rover defender, it is hardtop (van) and has to pay the emissions, yet if it was county station wagon (seats) it would be ok, even though it's the same engine!!!

i havea mate who is a commercial electrician, he said he gets trade reports from the national grid that say they don't have the capacity to run all these proposed electric cars. It's nothing to do with emissions itpts about moving us to fully automated vehicles, that you rent and that they can track where you are etc..

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

20 hours ago, Dan E said:

If this has been talked about before then sorry but I am seriously angry 😡 about this. 

I live in South East London, truth be told (thanks Nes) actually Kent and travel with essential work equipment into London at least 10 days a month if we are busy that can be 25 days a month and that &*£”! Khan is now bringing in the Ultra Low Emission Zone. 

My van is 3 years old in March and I was going to buy it, oh but no, I am not now, as it turns out, that it will cost me £24 a day to drive into inner London for 2 years then in 2021 the Ulez is going to include everything within the North and South Circular. Well the £12.50 as not in the CC zone. 

That means every car/ van I own is subject to this 24hrs a day 365 days a year, including my wife’s 3 year old BMW! Now I am kinda lucky as the van lease is up in 8 weeks so I am having to buy a new Euro 6 compliant one. We always go to the cinema in Greenwich in 2 years we will never go. We done a straw poll on the motorway on the way back from Hertfordshire today and 80% of them vehicles are buggered. Commercials are £100 a day! 

This is ludicrous, what 7 years ago we were told to drive diesels now this, so I am going to trade a perfectly good van in the next 8 weeks,my wife’s car is worthless in 2 years  and the Loti which must have paid their green credentials 20 years ago and their emissions must be in nothing in the real world are not allowed either. 

This country only has one way of sorting anything, not by forward thinking,  but by tax. 

This will f&£k so many businesses it is beyond a joke, not mine as I was lucky 

Dan E/taxed 

rant not even started to be honest

ps. Please don’t give me you shouldn’t live in London crap this is real world stuff that is going to bury a lot of businesses and people 

Totally agree with you Dan. I'm in London(Spitalfields Market) 6 nights a week and my 14 plate Vivaro(which I probably would change by then)and my 65 plate Berlingo which I bought 6 months ago that are to old and will be subject to the charge.... and like you said, most of the vehicles that go into that market to be fair are old scrappers because probably it's not cost effective for them to change to a 35k sprinter to do one job...... he's going to reuin alot of businesses.....🤬

The motorcycle community has established that even if your motorbike is not officially Euro 3 compliant, if you can get a Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer showing that it is below the Euro 3 NOx limit (0.15 gms/km) then your bike is exempt.

I have a K series Elise (1998) which needs to meet Euro 4 for NOx and looking at my certificate of conformity it actually meets this requirement, even though TFL's registration checker says it doesn't- presumably because it was built before Euro 4 (and 3) came into effect. Euro 4 NOx is 0.08 and the Elise is ) 0.076. I have just taken this up both with TFL and with Lotus to see if this flies. TFL themselves say that the important criterion is the actual official emissions, not whether the car is Euro 4 so it should be ok, but nothing is certain when dealing with the bureaucrats. Plus, I live inside the North Circular so if this stands, in two years time I can't even leave without paying Khan his pound of flesh....

Edited by Isidore

It is really crazy, especially when the green parties become the majority as it has been taken place in Amsterdam.

This is the way they adore to transport your family.........

25119_fullimage_Fietsen-Amsterdam-bakfie

The "green" Major of Amsterdam (my native city) thinks that they are a (congested) world metropolis with their (only) 800-900.000 inhabitants.

Therefore they want to kick out any car in the city......

Amsterdam has 175 (mostly historic) canals with a total length of 47 miles.

Along both canal sides are parking places and mostly the parking fee for 24 hrs is € 120,- equivalent GBP 107,-

Expensive city parking garages cost up to € 180,- equivalent GBP 160,-

In spite of those idiot charges parking along the canal is not bombproof for your car as the video link shows..........

BTW...........In Utrecht (335.000 inhabitants) recently the construction of a city bike garage was finished which has a cappacity of 12.500 bicycles....

Below a video of the building project....

Edited by rudolphwolven

Strange how historically the USA were the ones who insisted on endless emission control rules, which Lotus and others had to keep up with.

Now its the Europeans turn, driven by EU fines, but taking a far more draconian approach. Putting aside the cheating that VW and others have done, car emissions are a fraction of what they used to be so dont see the problem.

Even if you were to eliminate emissions altogether there is still brake dust, tyre particles and other nasties produced by any kind of car. Furthermore I reckon there is a huge cover-up going on with the levels of dangerous dust present in the Tube in London. 

And dont get me started on black cabs! These are the dirtiest form of transport ever, plus they spend half the time carrying no passengers at all. Many are rude and think they own the road and their charges are ridiculous. Why are they allowed in bus lanes? The reason is of course the powers-that-be use them on expenses when they should be using public transport. The BBC alone spends up to £10 million a year on them.

They spend how much? £200k a week? They need to learn to walk, that's astoundingly wasteful!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I don't how they get away with this.  We have paid for the roads and now have to pay to drive on them and those who can not afford new cars have to pay extra.  It's particularly bizarre that the emergency services have to pay but the dirty buses and taxis don't.

No doubt other cities will follow suite as a way of raising money.

There's an interesting plot in this article on the BBC News web site  showing how much some pollution in cities has fallen since the 1970's.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I was living in London back in 2003 when the first congestion charge was introduced. Before its introduction the politicians involved kept harping on about it not being a stealth tax, but was designed to deter people from driving into central London. And after it was introduced, it worked! Fewer people drove into central London. But because, as we all know, that was just a lie and it was another rip-off scheme, the government had to give £millions to the company who ran the scheme, because not enough people were driving into central London! What a farce. But what can you do? If we had some kind of democracy, then maybe we'd have some say in the matter, but as long as we live in this hideous dictatorship, not much will happen...unless we have a revolution!

Neat work and thanks for that info. My 2000 Elise 118bhp is listed as having to pay so I will see what is in the file for Cert of Conformity. Not sure the 340R will be exempt...……….

340R certificate of conformity shows NOx at 0.068. So I have sent this to TfL with my V5, via the TfL website.

I will ask Lotus for a Cert of Conformity for the Elise S1.

Justin

Khan is out of order with his latest plan to impose congestion charges on Uber drivers but not black cabs. 

Black cabs always get away with everything, no charges, allowed to go in bus lanes, for the reason that the power-that-be in government can use them for all their travel and claim all fares on expenses.

Uber offers the most efficient road transport there is, because they dont troll around empty looking for a fare or rarely do empty return journeys.

On 28/02/2019 at 12:04, Isidore said:

Just to follow up on this, TFL have formally accepted my Certificate of Conformity and my 1998 Elise will be exempt from this charge. I would imagine the same would apply to any K series Elise (certainly the ones not with uprated engine specs) but you will need to find the certificate for your actual car- I have mine from new and the certificate came with the car documents. Lotus should be able to provide (whether they will is another matter).

This seems to be the contact info at Lotus to request a copy of the CoC. 

CONTACT FOR: 
Certificate of Conformity for cars from 1997

EMAIL:
[email protected]
8:15 - 17:15 GMT Monday to Thursday | 8:15 - 12:15 GMT Friday

https://www.lotuscars.com/about-us/contact-us

• Like 1

Brilliant. Thanks for this. This should be pinned somewhere on the Forum, as it is going to be an increasingly sought after request as toxicity charges roll out nationwide and worldwide.

Justin