free hit
counters
Opel/Vauxhall no better? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Opel/Vauxhall no better?

Seems Opel/Vauxhall have been equally creative as Volkswagen on emissions: http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/opel-auch-beim-opel-astra-soll-abgasanlage-abschaltbar-sein-a-1092192.html. The emissions control system is "disabld 90% of the time."

This just after Mitsubishi confessed to manipulaions. Who is next (seems almost all manufacturers are now under investigation).

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Or that the emissions requirements are unreasonable and unworkable.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Are they unreasonable and unworkable because consumers want a car that accelerates like a petrol car or is it simply unattainable to get diesel to what is being legislated?

Serious question. I don't know what is driving the deception by the car makers.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, ramjet said:

Serious question. I don't know what is driving the deception by the car makers.

Cost and profit I would suggest. Audi et al started a performance war with diesels that has led to amazing power gains but made diesels much more complex. Diesel engines are much better at delivering huge amounts of torque at low revs - think of the big diesel coach engines that barely get to 2k revs...

Joe public has been hoodwinked into expecting sports car performance with 50 mpg+.

As a result we now have twin turbo, and even quad turbo (from BMW) diesels attempting to turn estate cars, fat cat saloons and SUVs into sports cars!  

Total marketing hype and the average punter in his SLine A4 estate, msport X120d must be a complete knob to think that just because something has a sports badge on it is a sports car. I even get it in the Evora, the 2.0d A4 Sline driver trying to "race me" on the dual carriageway. I just let them go and think [email protected]

They've got that big fat heavy diesel lump over the wheels. Gives them great torque low down but show it some twisty bits (the home of a good sports car) and bye bye, they understeer off into the horizon as their big diesel lump just wants to plough straight on.

So, the car market created an expectation. Sport speed with supermini economy. Diesel engines pushed way beyond what would normally be accepted and efficient. So along comes software to keep it all within the rules.

Unless I've missed something, the issue is NOT with petrol engines as these are not usually bought for "eco" reasons.

Given the challenge an honest Lotus has passing US emission reduction targets across its range, you can see why Vw, Audi et al were at it. The stakes are huge.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Oh and thanks to the eu dicks - i had the choice of a 1.6bi turbo diesel to replace my 2.5td van...... 

Cheers for that - off I skulk to find the number for superchips !!

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

You also have to bare in mind that up to a few years ago diesles were running at about 60% eficiency so in all honesty, they still have a long way to go.