free hit
counters
Access to cold air flap actuator - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Worth investigating when I have a spare hour or so.

TBH I'm still unsure as to what the flap control actually does as its rotated. I mean, I can see the symbols for fresh air in, recirc, and windscreen, but haven't yet worked out whether air to the windscreen is recirculated, or fresh, etc, etc.!

D082P4302F.jpg

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes to everything said.  Modern cars automatically switch to recirc when the air conditioning is first needed, Lotus had you do it manually.  Without AC, there is no purpose to recirculating the air a

Yes, that's how it's explained in the manual. I'll try and upload the relevant drawings. Esprit HVAC.pdf

Posted Images

I think when its on recirc it also has something to do with the a/c,when its on fresh air its just open to allow fresh air in and flap is open, i dont think it has a variable setting but happy to be corrected.When i get home i can have a look in my owners manual and see what the wonder brains at Lotus say.

Simplest things first.

• Gold FFM

As far as I understand, you always get fresh air through the flap just under the windscreen, except with the dial turned to recycle. Then the A/C will recirculate the air in the car to dry/cool it faster. According to the manual, air is only recirculated through the A/C evaporator, not through the heater core, so you can't use it to heat the cabin faster. Only when the dial is tuned to interior (or further to windscreen) does the mode flap open (by the other vacuum actuator) and allow air to pass the heater core.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

11 minutes ago, Escape said:

As far as I understand, you always get fresh air through the flap just under the windscreen, except with the dial turned to recycle. Then the A/C will recirculate the air in the car to dry/cool it faster. According to the manual, air is only recirculated through the A/C evaporator, not through the heater core, so you can't use it to heat the cabin faster. Only when the dial is tuned to interior (or further to windscreen) does the mode flap open (by the other vacuum actuator) and allow air to pass the heater core.

Filip

So what you're saying is that it's always on fresh air inlet, unless the control knob is turned clockwise as far as it will go?

Margate Exotics.

Yes to everything said.  Modern cars automatically switch to recirc when the air conditioning is first needed, Lotus had you do it manually.  Without AC, there is no purpose to recirculating the air as it will just get humid/foggy.

As per Nick's posts, replacing the actuator would definitely need to be done from the bonnet as the 3 retaining screws are there.  The fan sits inside a big plastic "air box".  The outside portion is where the jack and wheel wrench are mounted and removes with a few screws.  The inner portion appears to be very well sealed to the fiberglass (black goo almost like what they do windshields with) and also a few screws.  I think if that were removed you'd have a huge hole from bonnet to cabin.  The actuator would be bolted to the back of that inner fan box.  Re-install would require sealing it all back up nice, though with the outer cover on I don't think you can see the seam at all anyways.          

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...