free hit
counters
How much to convert Coupe to Roadster roof ? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

How much to convert Coupe to Roadster roof ?

Off to Swiss Alps at start of July and fancy the option of a soft top.  Unfortunately Lotus dealers are quoting 8-12 weeks lead time for soft tops, so looks like I might have to chance my arm looking for a second hand hood. 

Whats involved in converting the coupe to allow fitting of the soft top.  Is it just the cutting of slots in the rear roll over hoop and inserting some guides ?  Any idea on prices ?

Secondly re soft tops, am I right in believing the S2 and VX220 hoods fit ok  ?

Lastly where is the best place to look for second hand hoods ?

Thanks Dave 

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The conversion itself costs little and is very simple. The roof is about £600. We have just done it for similar reasons this summer.  There is currently a lead time on the the soft top but I believe supply should be picking up again now. We've done the conversion in preparation for getting a soft top when available. 

Not seen many second hand, but yes those will fit. 

• Like 1

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

It may be worth ringing about to see if any dealers have a soft-top in stock. I recently wanted a part and was quoted 4-5 months :o from Lotus.

I rang 6-7 official dealers and eventually found one who had the part in stock :).

• Like 1

Thanks. Slowly running around dealers, but in meantime put a wanted Ad up for Soft top 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

So are you cutting out slots in rear hoop yourself ? 

1 hour ago, DJW said:

I have them on order but I think so.. 

See you have joined the VX220 site :-)  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DJW said:

Dave: just realized you have an X-Bow as well ;-) ... how does it compare to the Exige? I know its a different concept just always wondered and you are the first one I know that has an X-Bow and a Lotus Exige ;-) ...

Hi Norbert.  

Funnily enough I drove the XBOW for first time yesterday since getting the Lotus. 

8ed30f48e67b1b81226733fba65fcd8f_zpsbz6t

It's a bit more extreme at acceleration, cornering and braking , but at the limits isn't as easy as the Exige to catch.  Aerodynamically the Lotus would start to pull away over say 110mph. 

Have a soft spot for these kind of cars as have also owned an Ariel Atom, the 2-11 and a couple of caterhams.    If I could afford it I would have a BAC Mono tomorrow B-)

Boys and their toys hey :lol:

Dave 

Edited by DJW
  • Like 1

@Hippo who doesn't visit here so much anymore has both too! 

13221714_10154188949677248_3533236657870

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

X-Bow AND an Exige? That's just mental... B-)

• Like 2

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

As a X-Bow dealer and an official Lotus service centre, we've seen a fair few of each.

The X-Bow is completely docile (drive it to the shops), despite it's appearance, but a bit mind-bending in terms of working grip and aero on the track.  The V6 Exige is more of a compromise, less mental, well composed, and gives similar speed sensations when you wind in some extra power!  Stick the same power in the X-Bow and the hedgerows get quite blurry, quite quickly!

Dave

Aha Hippo, saw you posted on the deserted XBOW forum and meant to say hi.  

Is previous owner of yours the TV Grand Designs guy ?

Usually only keep cars for max 6 months, but 17 months into XBOW now , so it must be doing something right ;)

38a65e91b59c81ce14e775485f45db77_zpsewdm

Edited by DJW
  • Like 2

Hey DJW, great looking X-Bow you have there! Yeah that's the fella...or Kev as I like to call him! ?

its quite quiet on that forum...I had one or two technical questions that I was going to ask...?

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

PM me any questions you have and I'll try to help if I can, although Hangar are a much greater source of knowledge. 

Edited by DJW

Another person with good taste :)

Awesome on track, pulling serious G in the corners and some of the best brakes I've ever experienced on a car. 

On 20 May 2016 at 10:46, Demolitionman13 said:

Former XBOW owner here too :)

Supplied and maintained by Hangar 111. Had the ABT 300bhp upgrade too.

Sold last year to a DJ in Ibiza.

Xbow.JPG

That's two of you trying to track down soft tops.....

I badgered Silverstone long enough and they kindly gave me a roof from an Elise that had just arrived. If I recall they charged me about me about £80 for the conversion and £1,100 for the soft top

On 20/05/2016 at 10:46, Demolitionman13 said:

Former XBOW owner here too :)

Supplied and maintained by Hangar 111. Had the ABT 300bhp upgrade too.

Sold last year to a DJ in Ibiza.

It's back in the UK again now (after what happened), it was here for service a couple of weeks ago.

Dave