Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 47 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@JayEmm I am not sure Ant-Man fitted yours, but I just took my old one old in prep for the new one being delivered today, and it was MANY Minutes to get the bugger out and half the skin being removed from my hands.

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Polestar 2 - Midnight Blue | Ducati Panigale V2 - Red | Indian Scout Bobber - Black | Honda CB1000R Neo Cafe Racer - Black ::..

Is it possible that the Sparcos fitted to US cars are different to the seats fitted to yours?  I ask because of the US specified side airbags which I assume are not required in Great Britain.  I am as big as a Lotus driver nominally ever gets and my seat is not squeaking. I am surprised to find it works on long trips well enough that I have no aches or pain when I get out of the car, and the passenger seat is not creaky either although I only have 1000 miles on my car.  

Since few of you across the pond from me will have experience in the extreme heat of the US Southeast, I'd like to mention something else for the record.  This may be of only passing interest to most on this forum but to anyone in a tropical clime or with severely hot summer weather, the air conditioning holds its own in 100 degree (F) and high humidity conditions.  It sometimes  lags just a bit in heavy traffic in temperatures over 100 degrees F  if the car hasn't moved for a while, but inside you still remain cool and dry .   Air conditioning was a major concern for me as I live where the summers are brutal  but it has proven to be fine overall.  

• Like 1

'17 Evora 400 MT 

• Gold FFM

@dalepearson They did remark it was "unusually easy" - that's all I can say!

@Loquacious Lew The seats have some changes compared to early 400s, exactly what is hard to say though - they never really told me. I always suspected being filled with airbags would definitely have helped them!

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

I think additional supercharger noise is a marmite subject.  Personally I prefer not to hear it.  I chose a NA Atom over a SC one, as the latter just sounded like a fast milk float to me ;)   Didn't particularly like it on my 2-11 either. 

The Evora 400 and Exige 350 are just about right for me personally , but appreciate others may like the "whine"  

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

@DJW like you say its personal taste, its not an overpowering increase at all though.

• Thanks 1

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Polestar 2 - Midnight Blue | Ducati Panigale V2 - Red | Indian Scout Bobber - Black | Honda CB1000R Neo Cafe Racer - Black ::..

• Gold FFM

With the windows up, it is more or less the same as before. It's only with the passenger window down that a significant difference can be heard.

James Martin (JayEmm)

@ James:  In your latest video, you mention that the Air/Con unit required replacement.  Has this been a relatively common fault or was it unique to your car (which being the worlds most videoed 400, I have named old Yeller)? For the record, I don't name my own cars but that needn't stop me from naming yours.  

'17 Evora 400 MT 

• Gold FFM

One year into ownership...

@Loquacious Lew I thought I had replied to you already, but just in case - some early cars had issues with the resistor in the HVAC unit. I have not heard of any issues recently.

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)

Well done James.

It dawned on me that I'll have had mine for 2 years next month! I still love it. I also love that it gives me something quite different from the other cars I have access to. 

In my opinion the car has no contemporaries and hence it's going nowhere - unless of course Lotus make a +2 GT430...

Greg

On 7/24/2017 at 10:05, JayEmm said:

@dalepearson

@Loquacious Lew The seats have some changes compared to early 400s, exactly what is hard to say though - they never really told me. I always suspected being filled with airbags would definitely have helped them!

I checked the seat frames on my car and they are indeed the new style with an added brace.  As for the differences between the package without airbags and those with them, that's not something I can comment on.  In any event, they don't rock or make noise and feel secure in their mounts.  

• Like 2

'17 Evora 400 MT 

• 3 months later...
  • Gold FFM

@scotty435 when I picked the car up, I originally considered getting the centre console colour coded, but decided against it as I was worried it would be too much. I had the seats done at the time, but my seats were then replaced and when the 410 came out with the coloured console and door handles, I shamelessly ripped them off :)

The next thing to do is the stereo surround, and the door cards.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

I specifically requested the rim NOT to be thicker than normal. If anything, it feels slightly thinner. Feels really nice, the perforated leather has a great feel. Overall really good quality item.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Royal are brilliant!  They did a great job for me too on mine. Looking good Jayemm.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

Thanks Andy. I had always wanted to do this, my factory one was beginning to show signs of wear so I used it as an excuse for the upgrade. Price is very reasonable - at £150 I think it's the best visual upgrade you can make to the car. Your one looked ace too

Refitting is a PITA, I must confess I got @Hangar 111 to do it - there were a couple of connectors I didn't fancy messing with, especially as the airbag is involved.

Edited by JayEmm

James Martin (JayEmm)

• 1 month later...

Brave, I  think personally I’d keep them to refit for eventual resale as the fixed backs would restrict the market.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Evora-400-Sparco-Seats-in-Leather-with-Yellow-Backs-For-Car-or-Office/142650792329?hash=item2136a65989:g:2ZIAAOSwLjxaVO07

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

On 11/15/2017 at 20:35, JayEmm said:

I specifically requested the rim NOT to be thicker than normal. If anything, it feels slightly thinner. Feels really nice, the perforated leather has a great feel. Overall really good quality item.

Jay, Colin

do you still hear crackles and backfire on low rpm in ur 400s after 2 years? I lost them on my car, and the dealer failed to know why? Eagerly awaiting the GT430...

Yes, although they are variable depending upon how the car has been driven. If you've done a lot of motorway miles they will reduce, if you have been driving "enthusiastically" they will be more pronounced. Think is is something to do with carbon build up in the exhaust, lean burn on motorway. The S1 was the same, as is my wifes JCW, although the JCW is enduced by the map.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Here's a pleasant update on my Evora. Bought myself a tyre depth gauge. The rears are just under 4mm and the fronts over 6!

Well impressed for nearly 20,000 miles.

James Martin (JayEmm)

You need to stop being a pussy and drive the arse off the thing! Grab it by the scruff of the neck and drive it hard...:driving::harhar:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way.