Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 49 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I bet a lot of those 410s in 2017 were dealer registered with a fair few finally sold recently.

Looks like my 410 is rarer than a GT430... 🤣

Oh fook. What have i started now...

• Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

It's great to see these numbers, several times I have tried to explain to people used to looking for P-Cars etc just how rare an Evora is. Lot of people out there possibly waiting for the "right car" that might not actually exist!

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

9 hours ago, JayEmm said:

More manual 410s than 400s registered in 2017. Very interesting.

It is probably a good example of the issue of cannibalisation and how the frequent new models is penalising sales. Also, dealers end up registering their demos usually when a new model pops up so you could have some 400 registered in 16 and sold in 17 balancing the numbers. 

In the case of the 410 I would bet £50 the manuals are 99% of the sales due to the very fact it is a more driver focused car.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

3 or 4 in the UK out of 25 or so, (so say 12/16%) (one for sale as a demo in London right now). 

More of either a London thing (traffic...) or people commited to track time (semi-auto faster / easier on track for the average driver)

Or just too lazy to shift manually!  :)

So yes, probably a London thing.

5 hours ago, C8RKH said:

In the case of the 410 I would bet £50 the manuals are 99% of the sales due to the very fact it is a more driver focused car.

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Or just too lazy to shift manually!  :)

So yes, probably a London thing.

Oi, I resemble that comment.

As a daily with traffic the Auto was the way to go. Weekend car would have been manual, although the Auto is also excellent when driving "enthusiastically", it's the mid range driving that I sometimes miss the manual. This data backs up the belief that more and more autos are being chosen. Up to 1/3rd of production from about 10% in the S1, I believe.

• Love 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

I can't wait to pick up my (manual) 400 tomorrow. It's second hand so it's not going to impact the sales figures though...

• Like 2

Love my auto, it is very quick, no lag there. This is the way to make it multipurpose. Very sporty when in semi auto, good city car when in auto.

Also enjoyed the 400 Auto, although I used the paddles the whole time 

Would have loved that gearchange in an Exige and think a lost opportunity by Lotus, as lots of people want flappy paddles in their sports cars, incl track orientated cars, these days. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Auto is way too slow for the track. It seems like an age before you get the gear you want and you lose the ability to block shift gears.  It needs to be a manual if you want to have some proper fun on track.

Keep the auto for pootling in heavy traffic

Where as the Auto in the Evora 400 is much faster and perfect on track. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I tried the auto on track and hated it.  I found that it really spoiled the experience and it cemented my decision for a manual.

it seems others may like it!

• Like 1

I am not sure where the slow auto stuff is coming from. The 400 auto shifts very fast when you are on it. Pre-400, yes it was a bit slower, but IMO I don't see how you could shift much faster manually than what the 400 offers. That being said I totally get the love for the manual as well. I test drove both. I had an manual Elise, then an auto Evora S, and I test drove the manual 400 first because the auto wasn't the greatest in the S (not awful, but still felt a bit slow). I was sold on the 400 manual. Then I drove the 400 auto and I was sold even more, it blew my S out of the water. Both the manual and the auto were greatly improved in the 400s and later.

Edited by Likuid
  • Like 1

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

Interesting the ratio of manual to Auto in different markets, I just got my provenance info from Andy and in 2016 there were 7 came to Australia 2 out of seven were manuals but that was a decision made by the importers.

Interestingly mine is the first manual. And the only White car.

• Gold FFM

I have used my recently renewed Gold membership to get a certificate from Andy also so when that appears I'll share the information from it

James Martin (JayEmm)

My certificate only has information on the ten Evora 400 Gulf Edition cars built in 2017:

5 cars for the UK, the other 5 exported.

Out of the 5 UK cars, 4 were manual transmission.

Mine, now @Gashead1105 car was the last of 6 Essex Blue Hethel Editions. There were 3 Auto and 3 Manual in that colour.

Will has the Certificate now.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

Was the Hethel Edition intended to be 15 in total or 15 of each colour? I can't recall.

I remember there was a period where it seemed like every new 400 sold was a Hethel

James Martin (JayEmm)

I believe 15 of each, so 45 in total. Sold worldwide. So 6 EB in uk.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel