Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 18 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

Yes, I believe so... As mine is still mid build (delayed boo) but I double checked my last 5 digits and they are (1)1250 where the (1) signifies manual. So have they really built 1250+ Evora 400? Or have they earmarked certain chassis numbers for special use?

I guess we need to look at the 400 registry and try and align serial numbers (last 4 digits of chassis number) with rough build time.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
9 hours ago, CocoPops said:

Yes, I believe so... As mine is still mid build (delayed boo) but I double checked my last 5 digits and they are (1)1250 where the (1) signifies manual. So have they really built 1250+ Evora 400? Or have they earmarked certain chassis numbers for special use?

I guess we need to look at the 400 registry and try and align serial numbers (last 4 digits of chassis number) with rough build time.

I might have seen your car on Tuesday actually. Its the Blue Heritage 400? I only saw one on the whole line - and it was sitting in QC towards the end of its cycle. 

Yep, sounds like my car.

saw a few pics late Monday, where it was missing spoiler, door card, badges etc.

So hopefully it's now finished.

Bit annoyed it's delayed as I wanted it next weekend but now can't line up paint detailed and paint film guy. It was supposed to be at Hofmanns this week not next week.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

• Gold FFM

1250 cars seems like an awful lot. It would be great if they have built that many but I just can't see that being the case

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Indeed, this is why I wondered if they "cherry picked" nice chassis numbers?

To me, mine is a nice round tidy number :lol:

IMG_0200.JPG

• Gold FFM

The chap I was talking to who owned the Essex said that they only made 24, but they'd said they would make 100... so they do have from number 1 to 100, just not all of those numbers. And his is #4, but it's the earliest chassis number.

James Martin (JayEmm)

If mine is 428 and it was registered in May 2016 (so built in March/April) and Lee's is 1250, that makes 822 Evora's built in 3 months, which doesn't seem very likely given that that their total target is 2000 cars (across all models) this year. I think they deliberately play around with the chassis numbers to keep everyone confused about how many cars they build. It can't be that hard to run a sequential chassis numbering system can it?

The vx220 was sequential build numbers but that might be GMs influence.

:lol:

On 7/14/2016 at 04:02, JayEmm said:

1250 cars seems like an awful lot. It would be great if they have built that many but I just can't see that being the case

Actually it is not, it is pretty much online with the forecasted number. Production really started about 45 weeks ago (late july-mid august 2015) and they were expected to churn 30 cars per week at the start to reach 45/50 cars per week at peak - I seem to remember. So 1250 cars on the Evora production line would be 30 cars per week for 42 weeks... There's been a delay on the US cars due to EPA, but the production line should be able to catch up in a hurry, considering they are not a peak production speed. 

A problem being there may have been some cancellations due to the delay and the lack of communication between Lotus and the dealers and the clients... JMG mentioned 400 US orders for the Evora back in September 2015 and the number is now 250...  So some vin numbers may have been allocated to US cars that have just gone into production of sequence hence the foggy numbers.

Still, back in 2008 when MJK was in control the initial plan was to produce 2000 Evoras per year so it will be interesting to get the number cause they may be decently close to that already, and the roadster is not even out yet and the higher performance version is not out either. That's why when JMG mentions a production in excess of 2000 cars for 2016, I'm a bit sceptical... I think he is underselling or wants to convey the idea that they are consolidating before the next step up.

I think the production numbers for the 2015-2016 financial year will be closer to 2500 maybe 2800 rather than just in excess of 2000. The Exige is still selling in strong numbers(+600 cars) and so is the Elise (+700 cars). From march 2015 to march 2016 Lotus has sold over 400 cars in the UK alone (source : http://www.statista.com/statistics/385379/lotus-car-sales-in-the-united-kingdom/)

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 7/15/2016 at 20:04, Bravo73 said:

Have you had your car on a dyno yet, James?

Not yet, I'd like to. I can never make my mind up whether the car feels well shy of its 400bhp or "every single horse" if that makes sense. Weren't Hanger 111 or someone putting a dyno in?

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

I imagine that's £60+VAT, I will give him a shout if 111 don't get back to me. I have sent them an email. I'd want to film the thing so it makes sense to have a Lotus related firm do it.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Hangar 111 expect their Dyno to be plugged in within a month or so. I have asked if I can come down and film my car doing a run, they are more than happy so when that happens, you'll know!

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Car back at Lotus this week for several issues to be investigated - seat creaking still being top of my list.

I also found out @CocoPops that there is no logic to the chassis numbering system at all!

James Martin (JayEmm)

You and @Gm77are both such children. That is something I would never do. Ever. How anti-social of you both.

;);)B-):devil:

I need a louder exhaust.

• Gold FFM

So,

My car was back at Lotus for the whole week last week (ie Mon > Fri) with several issues being tended to.

The car was making a hideous noise (like running over twigs) on full left lock, or vigorous left-handers, this was apparently due to over-use of copper slip on the wheel hub! A prize for anyone who can get me to understand how that works, the factory couldn't.

The tailgate was repainted due to the rubbing issue, although the black part it was rubbing against hasn't been replaced because they haven't got any spares.

My seat was NOT replaced because the seats they were expecting did not arrive in time. So I've got my old one back, creaks and all.

Given the fact that I have now been without my car for 15% of its ownership and that the number one problem I have had (creaking seat) is still not fixed, I have told Lotus that I will only entertain one more attempt at fixing it. I truly hope that they can.

James

James Martin (JayEmm)

Bootlid rubbing issue? Rubbing against which bit?