Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 23 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, DJW said:

@Gm77 Appreciate your views but at the same time if current Lotus owners have a view that could help Lotus in the long run, they should listen.  A companies best PR machine is its current customer base .   If a portion of them are unhappy or have views on how things should improve, they should be listened too.

It's  a cut throat world out there and the weakest will fail.  For those of us that love the brand, but are frustrated by its short comings on occasions, do we sit back and say "that's just the way it is" and watch the brand slip into oblivion in the future, or do we voice our opinion and hope that Lotus takes notice. 

I feel for the dealers that bend over backwards to help out, but quite often have their hands tied by HQ.

None of this pointed at anyone specifically either :)

I agree that all brands should strive to be better. I also agree that people shouldn't sweep issues under the carpet. My point is more around the doom and gloom in sentiment that arises when something small (and let's be honest, most of the issues that have arisen - many of which I have had myself - are relatively small). 

I would argue strongly that Lotus are not sweeping these points under the carpet - on the contrary, the constant updates to the range that arise even between batches that are produced demonstrate this.

If, when my alarm went off for no reason, I had came on this forum and shouted "sort your life out Lotus, you'll never compete with Porsche", do I think they they would have paid more attention? No, in my opinion. Despite me not saying it was the end of days on this forum (and I note that we did mention the issue on here), the company sourced the fault and to my knowledge no new models have had the same issue.

If my original post suggested that I wished people would just accept the issues as being they way things are, that was error on my part. My challenge is more with those who expect a new model to perfect from day one, and negative about the brand when it isn't.

I try to only list my cars issues when possibly trying to help someone out who's encountering the same symptoms. I did go through a bad period where my car was causing an issue a few weekends on the bounce (the only time I can use it) but didn't cause drama over it. I do sometimes find that some posts regarding the 400 come with a ridiculous sense of entitlement, which are the ones I have a hard time with. There were posts about one (in my opinion) non issue where the poster went on about it in a tone that made it come across as Lotus should stop the production line and immediately change the cars to suit their preference. It's when stuff like that comes up on here that I have to take self imposed breaks from the forum rather than vent. :rofl:

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I have spent more on buying the Evora than all of my previous cars combined. It has - ignoring my M3 and the morons repairing that - spent more time off the road than all of my previous cars combined.

Are any of the faults I have experienced the sort that would strand you in the middle of nowhere? No. But they were faults that needed fixing and in several cases I have had to return the car for a fix multiple times. I am doing my best to sing this cars praises as you all know, as I believe it to be a grossly underrated product BUT I won't be quiet when there are issues - I made a promise if you will to be transparent with my ownership experience. That's what I am doing.

Perhaps I wouldn't be so irked if Lotus hadn't decided to bin their own courtesy/press fleet - that way rather than bemoaning the lack of my Evora I could be harping on about how great the Elise is, etc... But this is the way it is and despite Hethel being effectively my closest dealer it is still a ball ache getting dropped off or returned.

FWIW one of the reasons I am getting the work done at Hethel is like  @Gm77 we want to make sure where possible that problems I experience can be avoided in other cars. I've covered 6000 miles in the 80 days I have had the car on the road, I don't think that's bad going. I told Lotus today that if it were any other car I would have exercised my right to reject it already, but I do know what the factory is going through and the enthusiast in me does not want a different car - I want my 400. 

It is very possible I have just been unlucky with having an early car, but I must disagree with blaming it on a new model, I know of two or three issues at least where "the old Evora did that too"....

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

33 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

I know of two or three issues at least where "the old Evora did that too"....

My car has 2 of these:

1. If using the door auto locking feature, the car will remain locked when the ignition is turned off; the door lock/unlock button remains lit and does not do anything. The trunk and fuel buttons on the door do nothing. Exterior door handles will not open the doors, but the interior ones always work as usual.
    • Solution: the auto locking feature "double locks" the car, so press the door lock/unlock button once before turning the ignition off. The doors remain locked, however when the ignition is switched off, the doors will all unlock and the trunk/fuel buttons will work too.
  2. Analog speedo is off by 10 or 20 kph sometimes.
    • Solution: remove key until the dash turns off (a minute or so.) Re-insert key and force the dash to reinitialise. May need to be done multiple times.
    • New solution (400 only): use the new digital speedo. Units can be changed in settings.

6c18447030.jpg

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

Just back from the dentist where this advert on the wall seemed appropriate 

20cccb2c823f72a4cf7eb17b177ef5b4_zps0rzm

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• Gold FFM

Very, very apt @DJW - discussing issues is very important. Yes it's important to distinguish from that and whining - although I am certainly guilty of the latter on occasion.

If for no other reason than Lotus can make improvements to their cars and hopefully future customers will be able to distinguish between vehicle-specific issues and "known model weaknesses". I find Lotus, along with TVR etc... can often become victim to salespeople selling sub-standard vehicles and excusing their condition with that old phrase "they all do that sir"... when often this may be far from the case. 

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM
On 19 August 2016 at 00:04, JayEmm said:

my right to reject it already, but I do know what the factory is going through and the enthusiast in me does not want a different car - I want my 400. 

None of the issues you have experienced would be sufficient grounds for rejecting your car.

Maybe you should just sell it. You say you want to increase the brand awareness, show off your 400 and so on but really this sort of thread,in my view does the car a disservice (especially when it is filled with hyperbole) 

I'd just lt get on with it a bit more quietly, but maybe that's just me. 

• Gold FFM

I do believe there is a phrase along the lines of "satisfactory quality". There is a clause which means that a supplying dealer (or in my case factory) should be allowed at least one attempt to fix any fault. I've given them many more than that.

What would you do if you spent £70k on a car, and it spent 20% of it's time in the shop? I don't think I am being unreasonable with Lotus. I love them to bits, and my car. I want to help them improve and I think the members on here who have met me in person will know that I am very passionate about my car - I just want to be able to enjoy it without it making hideous noises of one description or another

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

I don't know what you mean.

This post was brought to you in association with Big Jim's House of Cars. Southern California's Biggest Dealer of Second Hand Luxury Automobiles.

James Martin (JayEmm)

2 hours ago, JG220 said:

None of the issues you have experienced would be sufficient grounds for rejecting your car.

Maybe you should just sell it. You say you want to increase the brand awareness, show off your 400 and so on but really this sort of thread,in my view does the car a disservice (especially when it is filled with hyperbole) 

I'd just lt get on with it a bit more quietly, but maybe that's just me. 

Maybe you should just quit reading this thread and only focus on the cheerleading ones? I for one appreciate the transparent and honest views of the car. Pros AND cons.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

This seat runner squeaky thing sort of interests me.

if I'm correct the seats are sourced from sparco - is that right ? So then are the runners with that seat supplied by the same company ??? This issue is starting to look like a supply chain issue - rather than a lotus design issue - this may be why dealers and lotus are struggling to resolve this.

please remember if you owned a VW - many many of those have yet to be fixed and are still polluting like mad - and when they do get fixed that's gonna be a whole new arguement !! The would appear to me the real issue is this small manufacturer having issues with bought in products

Only here once

• Gold FFM

@Barrykearley yes the seats are made by Sparco. The runners I would *assume* are supplied by them, but I do not know for a fact. I believe the whole lot is a custom solution for the 400. It is NOT interchangeable with the S1 Recaros. I was convinced it was the runners and not the seat making a noise but Lotus have assured me it is the seat, and the seat has been redesigned (internally) to try and fix the problem.

Now, here's the thing. It's quite clear from many owners with the car that the problem is common and happens very soon (people are having the noise happen before the running in service, like myself). Lotus have been making 400s for nearly a year. My own car was passed to sales in late September, whatever that actually means. So Lotus will have known about this issue for some time... possibly up to a year... but a fix still hasn't presented itself.

Whilst I agree there is always going to be delays involved in getting a fixed sorted when you're dealing with an external/foreign supplier, a year to fix a pretty obvious problem does seem like a very long time to me. 

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

I deal in providing IT services to clients and guess what things go wrong.  From my experience, if you provide a quick fix in a professional manner, then you can turn that experience into a positive , as the client knows they can rely on you when things go wrong.  Those clients will stick with you and also buy more services  

However, you drag that fix out or repeatedly fail, you've lost that client for good.

Simple facts of life that apply across all customer facing businesses. 

Fingers crossed Lotus sort the seats quickly, as I want to keep buying Lotus cars moving forward, maybe an Exige cup, the Evora Roadster etc.....

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

56 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

My own car was passed to sales in late September, whatever that actually means.

PTS is when the car build is signed off as complete at Lotus and it's either put on an OnTime lorry to a dealer for their customer or their stock, or it's stored in the big white tents until someone orders it from a dealer, then it goes on the truck. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I refer to my earlier comments when JCT tried (badly) to sell me 'your' car in December...

1 hour ago, JayEmm said:

I was convinced it was the runners and not the seat making a noise but Lotus have assured me it is the seat, and the seat has been redesigned (internally)....

Mine creaks from the hinge mechanism between the upright and base.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Should I mention the fires again now?  :blob fire:

With the seats I have a bit of sympathy with lotus as they are totally reliant and beholding to Sparco to sort out. I bought some new Recaro's off Lotus last year and they arrived fully trimmed and packaged, with runners, as i expect they do for the factory too - after all, i bought new old factory stock!

I hear you when you say lotus has know about this for a while. Hmmm, are these seats ONLY made for lotus? If not, guess what, i bet Sparco have known then for much much longer that they have a problem and i bet they also did not tell lotus!  I can see this resulting in seat swaps, so, let's say 250 Evora's sold, so 500+ new seats needed from Sparco on top of the normal factory demand. 

I have real sympathy for you guys have problems, I really do. But i do also have faith that lotus are trying to do the right thing and if they could, they would. i bet the current situation with lotus owners and the huge leaking cash of proton is not giving lotus any room for maneuver at all with regards to stock holding etc either.

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

Thanks @Bibs - it is one of many things that annoys me about JCT, they lied to my face about how long the car had been with them. Four weeks they told me. @CocoPops confirms it, as do Lotus - to be BS. Quite unnecessary, really. Not sure what their logic was.

@C8RKH I believe Vauxhall Zafiras have also been going up in flames in great numbers too. Now, to play devil's advocate here... everything I know suggests that Lotus have the seats exclusively from Sparco. I certainly haven't seen any that look like the ones in the 400 being sold elsewhere. Now, I don't know what the reasoning is behind that (but I bet it rhymes with funny, honey and bunny) - but if you're going to ask a 3rd party vendor to create a new part for you off the shelf, then you've got a duty to make sure it works properly. Frankly Sparco should not have given them to Lotus in their first state, but I get a sneaking suspicion that perhaps management at Lotus decided to cut corners - or more accurately the time schedule - and decided "that's good enough" when clearly it was not.

I am also very curious about the other problems Lotus are experiencing which are not unique to my car. For example, the HVAC unit failing. Several people have had the issue, I highly doubt many of the parts in there can be Lotus specific. 

Also FWIW @CocoPops I do believe mine is creaking from the same place. There's a lot of movement in the seat back in general. Far too much for my liking.

James Martin (JayEmm)

The onus is on the supplier to make sure they work correctly, not the customer, ie Lotus. I've seen Lotus's Supplier Agreement, and it's a hefty document. As they seats are faulty, I'd not be surprised if Sparco will be contractually obliged to supply replacements either FoC or at a very reduced rate but as I told you yesterday, dealing with Italians at this time of year just does not happen. They literally close everything down. 

I'd imagine that bespoke seats are also more expensive than off the shelf items, not the other way around. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, mawheele said:

Just wondering @JayEmm - you still happy with those rear indicator LED lamps. I've ordered some and will fit them to my car when its back from the factory. Still pleased?

Honestly I don't know, it's been so long since I've seen my car. I think it was yellow... maybe? No....

J/K - yes I've not had any issues that I know of with the LED lamps and quite a few people have got in touch with me saying they've done the same on their car and are quite happy with it.

3 minutes ago, Bibs said:

I'd imagine that bespoke seats are also more expensive than off the shelf items, not the other way around. 

That's exactly what I would expect, so it is odd. I've heard a few people say Lotus wanted a bespoke seat that can't be found elsewhere... I can understand that I suppose. Especially if you're trying to convince people to pay £2,000 PER SEAT as a spare part!!

I was originally going to have the V2 seats fitted at the end of July, but alas 'twas not to be then. When I pick the car up on Tuesday I will ask but as you say if Italy is shut for August I can't see how it'll happen until at least the second week of September. That's assuming the new seats are sat there, finished and ready to go.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Yep, I did mine based on James' post, so went for same Vanssi items.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

Dealing with Italians !!! Now that's gonna take a bloody age to sort.

so it's faulty seats/runners from sparco that sounds like the issue. A year - might seem like a long time - but I'm afraid in the automotive world it's not. Lotus are getting a bashing here, rightly or wrongly, but it's the supplier of the seats that needs the bashing.

i reckon an hour with a hammer and some simple engineering tweaks and It would be fixed. Please remember back to the dealers and you are having your car looked at by trained technicians who swap parts (sweeping statement but true in the large part ) - NOT mechanical engineers.

im sure lotus are applying pressure back up the supply chain - but when the shops shut - it don't matter how hard you bang the door. I here the £70k spend etc etc. But other manufacturers at this price point have just as many issues..... Cue @C8RKH and some flamey photos:lol:

anyone who's fed up of their 400 - I'd gladly swap a v8 which needs the front nose and bumper spraying :sofa:

Only here once

• Gold FFM
Just now, Barrykearley said:

i reckon an hour with a hammer and some simple engineering tweaks and It would be fixed. Please remember back to the dealers and you are having your car looked at by trained technicians who swap parts (sweeping statement but true in the large part ) - NOT mechanical engineers.

FWIW it has not been the dealer who have been working on my car, but Hethel directly. 

James Martin (JayEmm)