Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 45 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

They fit really well and we were able to reuse a lot of the existing parts. A large part of the runners was kept because they were lighter than the Cobra equivalent, plus we were able to keep the stock seat belt clips and mounting points too - so nothing has been compromised in terms of safety, it is also a 100% reversible mod.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Looking very good and OEM. Nice mod that James.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

Personally, I'd have asked for Cobra logo to not be stitched on.

Also, how has this affected insurance? Seats can be a contentious issue for modding.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

@CocoPops I'll let you know on insurance once I have told them, I do have another vehicle with non standard Seats on the policy and they didn't really care. They don't cover the "mods" themselves anyway but I am sure they will find an excuse to extract some cash from me!

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

@mcx that was the weight without the main runners - hence the 5kg or so shortfall. Basically in a like-for-like setup you're saving 7.5kg a side

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

I actually quite like the Cobra branding, I am going to be moving it higher up and making it a bit more prominent though. The reason being I feel the interior desperately needs something to lift it - which is what the painted backs used to do. Plus, when you look in the car you can see the logo standing out, without it there is just blackness.

And... I am a tart. I own a yellow Lotus ffs :D

One thing not appreciated in pictures is the amazing quality of the leather Cobra use. It's full grain natural leather and just feels superb to the touch.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Looking good.  Do you sit any lower and how do you find thigh support ?

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• Gold FFM

@DJW Thigh support is much better than the old seats. I need to confirm it with some sort of semi-scientific measurement but if I were to guess I'd say you do sit about half an inch lower, possibly more.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

You could go full custard tart and get yellow seatbelt on the reels.  

And with these it will give added comfort and keep the dark interior bright ...

The new seats do look very good,  a bit more plush than the standard - will you get the yellow hints on the five point opening holes - might give a nice colour add.

Lion Seatbelt cushion.jpg

• Gold FFM

The design of the seats means getting the slots colour coded like @CocoPops did in his old car isn't possible. I'm trying to not go overboard with the yellow but the loss of the yellow painted backs means I need something in there.

I am tempted to colour code the centre console though as per the 410.

At the present time I am experimenting with the padding in the seats, the great thing with these is they are removable. I think they've been trimmed a bit too thick in the base, I've actually just done a drive with no padding in the seat at all and for a sporty drive they feel great as you get lots more side support. Also if you're going to go on track, the option to have different cushions makes a big difference because you can get more clearance for a helmet etc

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

I would go the way of the 410 with the centre console and the door handles. It looks superb and is not too much. That is what I would do anyway.

I think yellow seat belts would be a step too far and you would need to move to Essex to properly fit in with the locals at the Tesco car park on a saturday night.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

I can confirm that lower and firmer seats make the world of difference to the 400. The driving position alone makes it feel like a different car and I have considerably more confidence throwing at around...

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)

They look smart James. One question, if you had to guess, how would they compare to the 410 carbon seats in terms of ability to get anything into the back seats (I'm assuming the Cobras are fixed back?)?

• Gold FFM

Creaking seems to be gone... fingers crossed

In terms of rear access I am going to be popping up to Cobra again soon for some minor adjustments. I am going to see if we can offset the passenger side to be able to slide a little further forwards than normal. I don't see why it would be too difficult.

With that done, rear access should be as per the 410.

James Martin (JayEmm)