Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 50 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

1 hour ago, JayEmm said:

I remember there was a period where it seemed like every new 400 sold was a Hethel

.... in my opinion it'd have been extremely difficult to justify anything else while they were available. I specced up a factory order essentially using the same packs as the HE, but without the forged alloys and it came out about £8K more than list on the HE. On top of that you could negotiate on a HE (and I did negotiate.....;)) with the factory order there was zero negotiation on it.

Lets just say, the difference in price between the deal I could get on the 2 could buy a very nice car in it's own right.

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• 4 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Been a while since an update. Two major items to mention

My supercharger failed and required a rebuild. Was running rough, suspected MAF related issues. Turned out to be much more severe than that. Supercharger was rebuilt by Lotus. Unfortunately I lost out on my car for another week, and due to the unexpected nature of the failure for the first time in two years of ownership I required a hire car and nobody was supportive in that regard.

In more positive news, I have a set of Leitspeed wheels on loan from Steffen. These have been on the car a little while now. Unfortunately I am not able to make the 70th tomorrow but Charlie (Esprit S4) has selflessly agreed to take it up so that you can all get a look at these lovely wheels. They're not cheap but they are good.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

4 hours ago, JayEmm said:

Been a while since an update. Two major items to mention

My supercharger failed and required a rebuild. Was running rough, suspected MAF related issues. Turned out to be much more severe than that. Supercharger was rebuilt by Lotus. Unfortunately I lost out on my car for another week, and due to the unexpected nature of the failure for the first time in two years of ownership I required a hire car and nobody was supportive in that regard.

In more positive news, I have a set of Leitspeed wheels on loan from Steffen. These have been on the car a little while now. Unfortunately I am not able to make the 70th tomorrow but Charlie (Esprit S4) has selflessly agreed to take it up so that you can all get a look at these lovely wheels. They're not cheap but they are good.

Nice Wheels!

How many miles on the 400 before the super charger problem? and what was the actual problem

Edited by au-yt

• Gold FFM

Approximately 26,000. There appeared to be excessive play in the supercharger mechanism itself. Sorry I can't give a technically more accurate description. Lotus themselves told us there was "not much wrong with it" but it was a very, very poorly car. After the fix and a new MAF sensor, ran great though.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Me thinks more the MAF sensor issue for the rough running. mine has (60,000ks) 36,000 and no issues reported by the dealer as it was their demo when I bought it with 57,000ks.

There is a service requirement to clean the MAF at some point, they get covered in "stuff" and throttle body cleaner does the trick

• Gold FFM

We initially suspected MAF. It was checked, sorted out, engine software was updated then the car was sent out. Still poorly.

The MAF also doesn't make the supercharger make a horrible knocking noise, no matter how knackered it is ;)

James Martin (JayEmm)

Being a tech person this got me curious added by google my guess is, the noise from what I can find the noise could possible have been the supercharger coupler in the nose housing. this causes a knocking sound, 2 minutes into this video shows the coupler, sorry its the best i could find

image.png.780470b4bf84d29ab22f2faef64ed6aa.png

Interesting the 400 parts book and web for that matter don't show replacement parts,

• Gold FFM

I suspect like many parts on many modern cars it is something they expect you to replace as a whole unit - slightly scary idea if it breaks outside of warranty.

Lot of manufacturers are like this with gearboxes.

James Martin (JayEmm)

15 hours ago, JayEmm said:

Approximately 26,000. There appeared to be excessive play in the supercharger mechanism itself. Sorry I can't give a technically more accurate description. Lotus themselves told us there was "not much wrong with it" but it was a very, very poorly car. After the fix and a new MAF sensor, ran great though.

Oh no, was that before or after it appeared on another YouTube channel?!! It did look like it got rather trashed in that trip!

Glad it’s fixed now 😊

The other thing is this appears to be a "one-off" unlike certain other "fashion" brands where the cars are much more expensive and expensive issues are common.... don't get me started

On Fri Sep 28 2018 at 21:34, au-yt said:

Me thinks more the MAF sensor issue for the rough running. mine has (60,000ks) 36,000 and no issues reported by the dealer as it was their demo when I bought it with 57,000ks.

There is a service requirement to clean the MAF at some point, they get covered in "stuff" and throttle body cleaner does the trick

Good morning all!

Sorry for my intrusion in this topic but unfortunately I have got the same problem with the supercharger. My name is Simone and I write from Italy, 3 days ago I brought my Evora S SR (MY 2013, around 14000miles) to up grade the airbox with a carbon BCA.

While replacing it, the mechanic (Lotus), realised that he had reassembled the MAF sensor backwards, in fact, the car didn't want to turn on.

Then they realised the problem and mounted in the right position the MAF and the car turn it on properly.

Soon after we started listening this noise like the lobes of the supercharger were scrubbing somewhere inside...!

My question is, could this noise and possible damage be caused by the wrongly mounted MAF?

As a matter of fact, now there are several thousand of € dancing in order to revise or even worse to replace the supercharger. 

thank you for your kind answers 

More likely to be the BCA not filtering enough.

That would certainly be Lotus response to fitting a non approved air filter

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

1 minute ago, CocoPops said:

The noise is like this even if less noisy 

This is the filter 

IMG_20180926_110553.jpg

On Fri Sep 28 2018 at 22:56, JayEmm said:

I suspect like many parts on many modern cars it is something they expect you to replace as a whole unit - slightly scary idea if it breaks outside of warranty.

Lot of manufacturers are like this with gearboxes.

That is my case.... 😭😭

1 hour ago, CocoPops said:

You mean something wrong has gone into the supercharger passing through the filter? 

• Gold FFM

A lot of people have been asking me about what went wrong with my SC. Truthful answer - I don't know. I asked and was not given any useful info.

I also asked if it was user error and was fairly assured it was not. As far as I can tell this is an isolated incident. The fix was quick but there are a few things I was not happy about.

I have also been asked if I have sold my car, and the answer is yes. I had previously thought about keeping it indefinitely, as it is veru special and means an awful lot to me emotionally not just financially. But the opportunity came to sell it to a like minded local enthusiast, and I have other needs for the money right now.

I am going to continue to feature Lotus on my channel as much as I can - I would not be where I am without the massive support from Lotus dealers and customers, people on here etc...

I think the factory let those people down far too often, but I can see very big and positive things happening there, and I hope there will be tangible changes by the time I get back into a Lotus, and I look forward to that day.

Meanwhile, I think most know who it is, but I'll let the new owner do their own reveal.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Sorry to see you go Jay.....

Your diaries provided me with endless enjoyment and I always found myself thinking 'they will have sorted that one by the time I get my car' which unfortunately isn't/wasn't always the case!!

Definitely the inspiration in my colour choice for the 'wasp' as someone called it or 'at least you got it in Watford colours' the day after they beat my beloved Spurs in the league earlier this year.

It would actually be good to see some videos on McLaren if you now have more time to diversify and see how they stack up against Lotus.

I hope you did not just go out and buy that Porker, just to get your tenner back! 😂

Seriously... amazed to hear you have sold your 400. Must have been something quite significant...

Trust all is good Mr JM. 

• Gold FFM

If I can I will get a McLaren on the channel, I can see why many Lotus owners moved to them - there is a definite appeal and a Macca is one of very few cars that comes close to the driving ability of a Lotus.

I've always said and still believe if the Evora had a McLaren badge, they could not make enough. Badges mean a lot, good and bad - sadly Lotus still have a fair way to go in the eyes of some, but part of the appeal certainly is being part of this special club. I hope Geely don't take away what makes Lotus special in the quest to make them bigger 

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

I’m actually gutted you’re selling! It’s been great watching it on YouTube and reading it about here and will continue to watch your channel....as long as you get another Lotus one day 😉

Looking forward to the big reveal from next owner 😁

James, you have a lot to answer for - it was watching your videos that help persuade me to take the plunge and buy a new Evora 400! Around that time it was a hell of a lot of car for the money, less so now with the base 400 model not being promoted or possibly discontinued.

What exactly were you not happy about with the supercharger repair? I hope that that wasn't a factor in you selling up.

• Gold FFM

Having to pay for my own hire car wasn't particularly enjoyable - I have been to and from the factory countless times and got friends/family to give me lifts, loan me cars etc... first time in two years I ask for a hire car and neither dealer nor factory know. In fairness to the factory they shouldn't have to deal with me anyway, but we have been dealing direct to save unnecessary hassle for the dealers.

I am lucky the incident was detected and diagnosed by Stratton quickly and cannot praise them enough, same with Lotus the problem was repaired fairly promptly but I was still left in the lurch.

This is the kind of thing I expect with £7k 10 year old cars, not £70k two year old ones. The fact it is a Lotus does not excuse it. If the company want to start charging six figures for their cars they need six figure service - not the two digit response some keep getting.

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)