Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 4 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
5 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

I also like the way you speeded up some sequences to make it look like you were doing over 60mph...

You'd be amazed how a camera mounted low down on a very wide angle lens really accentuates speed. 

Thanks @Brendonian, I have about three more videos to edit before the weekend - I am trying to stagger releases.

I'm presently waiting for the car to come out of its service at Stratton. All of my niggles have been identified and are being either fixed or have been fixed already. There will be a video on that also.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM

They definitely aren't cars to run on a tight budget. This one has not had any issues at all for about a decade but on average has still cost £1k a year in maintenance.

If you use them regularly and start going through consumables too, sky's the limit

James Martin (JayEmm)

I also thought £1k a year maintenance costs a bit of a low budget for any Ferrari - this can't be main-dealer maintenance/servicing?

I dare say that this car may be the exception, but with just 16k miles in 20 years it hasn't really had a lot of use. A quick look at Ferraris for sale on ebay would indicate that anything above 2k miles a year is probably seen as high mileage, and that's a real shame. The tyres probably only get replaced when the rubber has started to crack and I wonder if Ferrari dealers even stock things like brake pads?

• Gold FFM

Ferraris have actually gotten much cheaper to service lately but the sad thing is they rarely get used. A lot of guys wind up spending money replacing stuff that goes through lack of use. Not many 355s go to main dealers now and if you don't drive it often a full service isn't strictly necessary every year.

£1k a year is what I consider necessary to run one of these with nothing breaking - as I mentioned in the video if stuff starts breaking, it gets scary quite quickly! 

I don't think anyone really expects a Ferrari to be cheap to run though. I have seen some guys quote silly prices for things though and that's usually when they buy a cheap car that has been neglected. That's no different from any other brand really.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Brilliant @JayEmm. No ums or ers that someone moaned about in an earlier video !

thought it's very professional and well commented - you sure you weren't one of them paparazzi in last weeks top gear - you'd do a better job for sure than the ginge......

keep it up - loving it :thumbsup: - amazing

ps - don't mention the VW 911 again :whistle:- a mass produced boring car such as that doesn't compare to an artwork such as the lotus. My mate had a 911 he was repairing bodywork wise today - it was the rustyest piece of junk I've ever seen - e reg £30k - you could keep it !! 

Only here once

• Gold FFM
29 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

ps - don't mention the VW 911 again :whistle:- a mass produced boring car such as that doesn't compare to an artwork such as the lotus. My mate had a 911 he was repairing bodywork wise today - it was the rustyest piece of junk I've ever seen - e reg £30k - you could keep it !! 

I'm very thankful of my time working at an old Porsche dealer, because I recall many cars that we had that you pretty much couldn't give away now trading for about 5-10x what we were asking then. And you know what? Some of them were overpriced then!

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

Well done james the quantity of your work is unbelievable! Enjoyed this one like seeing the practical stuff.

If you could get a gt4/gt3 would be very interested to see real world and track comparison would be very interesting especially due to the lack of videos on the tube.

• Gold FFM

Thanks fella, the feedback I receive is all greatly appreciated because it's what gives me motivation to keep making more.

If there's anyone out there with a GT4 willing to let me have a go I'll happily make a video, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I did mention to @jamesfromsmc if there was anything Stratton needed filming I would, I know they have a Motorsports venture going...

James Martin (JayEmm)

The videos are working really well. I miss my previous S1 Evora and these videos are making me hanker after a 400 now!

A comparison with a V6 Exige would be good to high-light their comparative strengths and weaknesses.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

Thanks fella, the feedback I receive is all greatly appreciated because it's what gives me motivation to keep making more.

If there's anyone out there with a GT4 willing to let me have a go I'll happily make a video, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I did mention to @jamesfromsmc if there was anything Stratton needed filming I would, I know they have a Motorsports venture going...

Couldnt agree more ... you do a great job and I really enjoy watching the videos...

I watched one of Shmee's this morning and just thought ... what an ... compared to yours ;-)

You know what you need next imho ... more driving action ... filmed inside but also maybe from the outside with a car in front / or following... GT3 comp would be very cool...

• Gold FFM
Just now, Neal H said:

The videos are working really well. I miss my previous S1 Evora and these videos are making me hanker after a 400 now!

A comparison with a V6 Exige would be good to high-light their comparative strengths and weaknesses.

Also on the cards. The next comparison I am going to shoot will be with @BP81's beautiful Esprit. That I'm genuinely excited about. After that, I want to compare the car with the Mercedes A45 (or more likely a CLA 45 as I can get my hands on one of those) - because they're pretty much the hottest of the hot hatches. Then I want to compare with an older BMW M3 and I even cheekily went back to the guys who loaned me the M4 I didn't buy if I could have that for a day and they seemed open to the idea too. I know most on here have formed their opinions of German cars but I feel duty bound to make videos with them to help convert some of the others out there!

3 minutes ago, NW76 said:

Couldnt agree more ... you do a great job and I really enjoy watching the videos...

I watched on of Shmee's this morning and just thought ... what an ... compared to yours ;-)

You know what you need next imho ... more driving action ... filmed inside but also maybe from the outside with a car in front / or following... GT3 comp would be very cool...

Thankyou. Getting some tracking shots is a very high priority for me, more exterior shots in general. That will require some description of planning because I need several people and an awful lot of co-ordination. It will happen though!

As much as Shmee/Seen Through Glass/Supercars of London/Seb Delanney etc... seem to attract followers in the hundreds of thousands (and I watch some of their videos), for people who do mostly car-related stuff their car knowledge sometimes borders on the shocking...

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)

4 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

Also on the cards. The next comparison I am going to shoot will be with @BP81's beautiful Esprit. That I'm genuinely excited about. After that, I want to compare the car with the Mercedes A45 (or more likely a CLA 45 as I can get my hands on one of those) - because they're pretty much the hottest of the hot hatches. Then I want to compare with an older BMW M3 and I even cheekily went back to the guys who loaned me the M4 I didn't buy if I could have that for a day and they seemed open to the idea too. I know most on here have formed their opinions of German cars but I feel duty bound to make videos with them to help convert some of the others out there!

Thankyou. Getting some tracking shots is a very high priority for me, more exterior shots in general. That will require some description of planning because I need several people and an awful lot of co-ordination. It will happen though!

As much as Shmee/Seen Through Glass/Supercars of London/Seb Delanney etc... seem to attract followers in the hundreds of thousands (and I watch some of their videos), for people who do mostly car-related stuff their car knowledge sometimes borders on the shocking...

Why dont you come to Spa on 6/16 ... that would be great ... bunch of guys from the forum will be there and a lot of us for the first time ...

• Gold FFM

Yup, will be a lot of fun no doubt. I just thought too, the Esprit wasn't actually the most powerful Lotus ever either... I do believe that was the Carlton (if you consider it a Lotus). I wonder where I can find one of those.... hmm...

James Martin (JayEmm)

Although the Carlton had a few more BHP and a whole car's worth more torque, the V8 Esprit was noticeably quicker. I ran both side by side for five or six years and enjoyed them equally, however a Carlton wouldn't be comfortable trying to keep up with a committed V8 Esprit driver. 

But it would be a good spectator sport. :D

• Gold FFM

I don't know the figures but I imagine the Carlton is considerably porkier than the Esprit?

Still, once I start running out of things to film I will track one down because they are another legendary car with remarkably little about them on YouTube, save for some very outdated videos.

James Martin (JayEmm)

I think the Carlton has about 300kgs of extra ballast on board, but then it is a full four seater with a mahoosive boot. 377bhp, 419lbft in the LC compared with 350bhp and 296lbft in the V8. On paper not much in it, but on the road the nimbleness of the Esprit (when compared with the LC) does show through. Having said that, neither car is slow - even today.

• Gold FFM

Yes I noticed too when doing my reading on the Esprit V8 it wears the same size tyres as the Evora 400 - at least width wise. These are big boots now, at the time they would have been massive. A full 40mm more contact patch on the rear than the 355!

James Martin (JayEmm)