free hit
counters
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 54 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
JayEmm

The Evora 400 Diaries

5 hours ago, CocoPops said:

And you can make a cup of tea in the time it takes to change gear too :lol:

🤣

To be fair, the auto-box can still swap cogs quicker than I can in the manual car!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
7 hours ago, CocoPops said:

And you can make a cup of tea in the time it takes to change gear too :lol:

I know this is supposed to be a bit of a joke, but I have owned both a 13 S IPS and currently own 400 Auto. When I was looking at the 400s I test drove first the stick, I was leaning more towards a stick because the S shifting wasn't the quickest (not as bad as some say, but not great). I thought the stick was great, way better than my 05 Elise. I was about sold on the stick, but then I test drove the auto. Wow, it shifted way faster in sport than my S did. I ended up getting the auto.

Edited by Likuid

Yes, the gear change has been improved a lot. It was definitely more of a tongue in cheek comment rather than a statement of fact.

• Like 2

If anyone can tell me how come JayEmms old Evora has cup holders and no one else in the U.K. does...? Because if I had some I could contemplate making a cup of tea while changing gear. ;)

• Like 1

The auto box is even faster in race. I guess the three main problems of the auto are:

- 200 revs limit less

- no ability to rev the car up before 1st gear for a burn out

- tires and clutch to outlive people’s expectation 😂

For me as a Londoner (and I think a lot of the auto owners are down here) this makes it a more likely that the cR is driven regularly.

Apparently all cars have a slot for cups, just shove it between the seat and the door on your right! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PAR said:

no ability to rev the car up before 1st gear for a burn out

When the youths shout at you from the roadside to rev it and you can’t. 🙈

Auto = no heel and toe, no LSD. And for that reason, I’m ouuttt! 😉

3 minutes ago, Gm77 said:

Auto = no heel and toe, no LSD. And for that reason, I’m ouuttt! 😉

... but that auto-blip on the downshift when in Sport mode!!! 😍

11 minutes ago, Nathan Pitman said:

When the youths shout at you from the roadside to rev it and you can’t. 🙈

???

Stick it in Neutral.

58 minutes ago, Nathan Pitman said:

If anyone can tell me how come JayEmms old Evora has cup holders and no one else in the U.K. does...? Because if I had some I could contemplate making a cup of tea while changing gear. ;)

Cup holders are a US option but a bit useless as it’s behind the seats on the center consol, make ing a cupper in the car on the move doesn’t bear thinking about, I sure the original Top Gear Guys have tried.

as for storage this works.

29 minutes ago, Gm77 said:

May be it’s the long week I’ve had, and the second whiskey I’ve just finished, but this forum is the best, and we drive the best cars in the world!! I love the fact that everyone’s different, and autos and manuals are equally loved. Bottom line we are unbelievably lucky. 

(And I fail to understand why anyone would sell their 400 - ever, for whatever reason...)

Greg

So that @Gashead1105 could buy it :lol: Good job too, his Exige is still for sale! He did well there :)

• Like 1

I appreciate there may be extenuating circumstances Lee. I hope you’re wife is OK.

Your old car looked stunning as always when I saw it earlier today.

Greg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SH said:

... but that auto-blip on the downshift when in Sport mode!!! 😍

???

Stick it in Neutral.

Only works if completely stationary and you then have time to get it back in gear before the lights change. It seems that I am usually asked by van drivers when we are rolling slowly in traffic and I have to use the universal signal for “it’s got paddles” whilst shrugging shoulders. 

11 hours ago, Gm77 said:

(And I fail to understand why anyone would sell their 400 - ever, for whatever reason...)

What, not even for a 410 or a 430! ;)

11 hours ago, Gm77 said:

Your old car looked stunning filthy when I saw it earlier today.

Greg

Fixed that for you Greg. The perils of a practical daily driver 😉 

Re cup holders, I find the curved pocket next to each of the rear seats holds a coffee cup pretty well if you are simply looking to store it for a short journey

Re my old car - shame really. I (obviously) think it looks great, it was in A1 condition when I let it go, gear change was lovely, went like stink blah blah blah. I guess the point is that Alex can flog a new one on 50:50 for less up front, and use it as an ornament in the meantime. 

13 hours ago, Gm77 said:

May be it’s the long week I’ve had, and the second whiskey I’ve just finished, but this forum is the best, and we drive the best cars in the world!! I love the fact that everyone’s different, and autos and manuals are equally loved. Bottom line we are unbelievably lucky. 

Greg

Lotus and 🥃  are my two favourite things too!

This is by far the best car forum. Content, members and functionality of the website,,, it’s all brilliant and why despite not being a current owner (that can always change if a neat S1 Elise project appears) I’ll remain a fully paid up member. 

As for selling any Lotus... variety and new memories😉 a new car is a new challenge and adventure.

• Like 2

I can't envisage getting rid of mine. Nothing else I want (that I can afford at least, I'd probably consider an 812 Superfast in dark blue). I'd like to go Caterham racing but that's a pipe dream at the moment. Otherwise.... if the cost to change for a GT4 got to under 10k, I might be tempted. Test drive at least :sofa:

• Like 1

“No longer a Lotus owner” did @JayEmm not have an Excel and Elise as well? Have they gone too?

It's not.

I had a strange email exchange with alpine.

"Can I get one for review please?"

"Sorry, we don't have any available, let us know if your channel changes"

"Erm, how will that make a car suddenly appear?"

Personally I think the Alpine is indescribably ugly, and it commits for me a cardinal sin - it is deliberately copying a past styling exercise for style alone.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

... personally I think the Alpine is indescribably ugly, and it commits for me a cardinal sin - it is deliberately copying a past styling exercise for style alone.

Thank god - I thought it was just me.  

The Alpine is truly hideous!  I've been watching all the reviews and going, 'yes, yes, so it's an exceptional drive... but when are they going to mention the elephant in the room - it's bloody ugly!'.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, auRouge said:

Have you guys seen one in real life?

Yes.  Looks every bit the munter in the metal as it does in the press shots!  Quite nice inside though.

All IMHO of course.