free hit
counters
Check those fuel hoses! - Page 2 - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Andyww

Check those fuel hoses!

I recently found fuel vapour hoses laying around my engine bay after a car run. As it seemed stupid to run one of the hoses over the top and return (under the carpet), a friend simply removed the loop. I'm now concerned that there may have been a specific reason for it taking a circuitous route. Will it be okay, or should I re-install the extra hose. I thought it might have been related to the 'fuel vapour container' which seems to be American spec (not on my UK spec).         

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would not feel comfortable driving mine knowing fuel vapour was floating around in the engine bay. The vent hoses are there for a reason after all and are also present on UK spec cars. The back and forth route I believe is in case of the car rolling and prevent fuel spillage and there are also stop valve present for the same reason. It is not a difficult or expensive job to get some fuel hose and replace behind the carpet and drive with peace of mind.

• Like 1

This evening whilst tinkering I noticed a slight weep of fuel from the union on my rear carb  while the engine was ticking over. See green arrow in the photo below. No problem from the fuel line connector, just a slightly loose bolt where the union bolts to the carb body. This could have become a  major incident if had I not spotted the problem so can I urge people to check and tighten if necessary when you're next in the engine bay :)

IMG_2867.jpg

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

11 hours ago, S22fan said:

I recently found fuel vapour hoses laying around my engine bay after a car run. As it seemed stupid to run one of the hoses over the top and return (under the carpet), a friend simply removed the loop.

Why is that stupid? I cant think of a better way of venting both tanks but without fuel coming out of the vent pipe under hard cornering when all the fuel is going to head into one of the two tanks. Seems very sensible to run the vent as high as possible.

Furthermore one of the two hoses links the two tanks together to allow for air from one tank to go to the other under cornering.

The Esprit was not designed by people who were stupid.

I'm not saying anyone is stupid. I'm obviously missing something as on the LHS, the pipe comes straight out of attachment on the filler neck down out to the open air and a T section sideways. If I go hard around a LH corner (high unlikely) then the fuel could possibly drain out anyway. I've had a few classic cars. Everytime, someone has messed around along the line and it's only through these sorts of discussion that issues are identified and rectified. I won't start on about my Aston's engine bay which looked fine when I bought it. 

The layout should be as shown in the parts book, there is a balance pipe which connects the two tanks, with anti-surge valves at both tank ends. The pipe goes over the top of the window under the carpet. This pipe has a T in it, above the LH tank at the highest point which joins to a vent pipe which also goes over the top and runs all the way down past the RH tank and held by a clip on the chassis at the lowest point of the car under the RH tank area.

6 hours ago, S22fan said:

I'm not saying anyone is stupid. I'm obviously missing something as on the LHS, the pipe comes straight out of attachment on the filler neck down out to the open air and a T section sideways. If I go hard around a LH corner (high unlikely) then the fuel could possibly drain out anyway. I've had a few classic cars. Everytime, someone has messed around along the line and it's only through these sorts of discussion that issues are identified and rectified. I won't start on about my Aston's engine bay which looked fine when I bought it. 

If you upgrade to an FFM, the parts manuals are available for you to download, so you can see the system. 

Margate Exotics.

Marian - what you describe for the pipe arrangement on your LHS tank is not at all what Lotus fitted as it left the factory as you'll see in the  diagram in the parts manual. My guess is that you are looking at the handiwork of a previous owner.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

For what it's worth I used a smaller diameter (think 6mm ID) PVC tubing to replace these hoses, as I had some lying around and the job needed doing when I bought my car.  Four and a half years later they're fine.

Resurrecting the initial topic, visual inspection on the fuel lines is a good thing but also make sure you pull on the hoses. I had a hairline crack on the main feeding line just before the pressure regulator. Very imperceptible and only visible when I pulled on it. Check them on your cars! I renewed all the top hoses and I’ll do the same for all the ones below in the next few weeks once I have it up on the ramps. Prepping the top now for the tanks to be replaced. 

0F4C5D33-F1BD-4190-B86A-48BC779F2392.jpeg

• Sad 1

Ad initium

I've been bleating away about this for years...a voice crying in the wilderness. Change the fuel hoses every two years, when you change the cambelt. That way, you won't have any problem. Yes, you will probably be throwing away good hoses...but the alternative is so dire that the peace of mind you get trumps everything else. I had a hose leak once and start a small fire; fortunately there was hardly any fuel in the car, all the engine covers were off, and I rapidly turned off the ignition and put out the fire with the bucket of water I was using for the wetordri I was flatting the new primer/surfacer paintwork with, so all was well. After that, I decided that new Goodridge braided hoses every two years was the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein