free hit
counters
Which coolant to fill with - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Which coolant to fill with

Yo1

Good morning every body,

While changing my cambelt, the guy working on my car ( a 1987 G Lotus Esprit HC NA) noticed than all the cooling hoses were old (30 years old...), and than the alloys ones definitly needed to be replaced. There were rust in the cooling system which eat the alloy hoses.

So everything has been washed, all the hoses are being replaced by new ones (from sjs), but now, I'm wondering which is the best coolant to fill with. I know it exists different types of cooling liquid, and I don't know wich one suits to the car. I really want the best for the car, and I wish I can find a cooling liquid wich could avoid rust to appear again, and even make rust disapear from inside the engine (because I'm afraid than there should be rust inside now).

I am looking forward to your answers.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@Buddsy uses Evans Waterless Coolant. That contains no water so you'll never see corrosion in your cooling system. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thank you  for your quick answer. I heared about it, but it seems than this product can avoid the rust (because no water), but does not cool the engine enough. As a result, the engine has an higher temperature while running, which is scaring me.

If we were in a climate where the cooling system was at its limit, then it makes a difference, but most of us are not. If we were, then the coolants with a reduced ability to transfer heat would be a bad idea, saying that antifreeze makes water less effective but we still use it (with good reason)

1 hour ago, Buddsy said:

The Evans doesnt expand either which helps

Isn't the cooling system designed to run under pressure?

Only to raise the boiling point of water, which Evans doesn't have.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I was going to fill mine with Evans Waterless after the engine was rebuilt and it was completely empty. I think it would have cost about £200 to fill it and I am so glad I didn't because since then I've had the water pump off 3 times and the heater hose has split twice. By now I would probably have spent about £1m on the stuff hahahaha

I think it said the water content has to be less than 3% to use it and whenever I drain mine I only ever seem to get out half of what I put in.

I have blue anti-freeze in mine as I read that pink shouldn't be used on old engines.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

The idea of Evans is that you re-use it, forever. Since it doesn't corrode the metal, it's as clean after 10 years as the day you put it in.

Evora NA

So it seems than Evans is very popular on the forum, but I read so many bad feedbacks on french forums than I prefer to wait a few years before trying.

I am now making some researches about carix premium g48 which is used by Ferrari garages for their old cars. And looking at motul imogel optimal aswell.

Many thanks for your advises.

The Evans has a lower specifc heat capacity and higher viscosity. No idea if these factors are negative although the cooling systems in our engines are very long and convoluted so in theory might be more of an issue than most engines. Flow from the rear of the head is quite restricted especially on the LC turbos.

The ally pipes seem to mainly corrode from the outside by reaction with the rubber hoses where they are clamped on. I recently changed all mine and all of them had been eaten away under the rubber hoses and in some places gone through. There was no corrosion at all on the inside. My Father used to work for a corrosion protection firm and confirmed this rubber/aluminium reaction is something which happens over a very long time.

• Gold FFM

Going back to the dark ages. I was advised to put a smear of vaseline on a fitting prior to attaching a hose to cast aluminium fittings, and after many many years, the hose could be taken off with very little visible corrosion showing. I still do this yet with waterpump connections and thermostat housings. Maybe just old habbits die hard, but never had aproblem with it.

About bad points, they say than there is no better than water to cool the engine, so using Evans would rise the engine temperature while running. Son it would have consequences on the engine running temperature higher than suppose to, and with oil.

A german magazine made a review on the product "oldtimer markt" and at the end just advise not to use it.

Peter Burgees broke 2 engines (mgb) using it, and also advise not to use Evans. He stop the guaranty on his engines if a custumer use it.

Thats what I read on a french mgb forum talking about Evans production, I've never heared about this german mag before, neither about Peter Burgers.

I've just read that, and it's a little bit frightening.

Here is the link to the thread (in french, sorry, but with Google translate, who knows...)

http://www2.mgcontact.eu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=22960

It is a very good question, so I've been searching on the internet, because I didn't understand how it was possible.

It appears that the temperature is not checked from the engine's metal, but from the liquid. For the same temperature from the liquid, the temperature of the engine (metal) will be different, as water is more efficient cooling the metal when in contact, than Evans. I don't know if it's clear, I've juste read this on a website about planes engine cooling system (in french). I'm looking for the same explanations in english, because I'm afraid my english is not good enough to make it clear.

Here is a link to a pdf (in english :) )from Evans in which they talk about the higher temperature in the FAQ.

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.eastwood.com/images/pdf/evans_faqs.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjMoqvc7u7MAhUEnRoKHd8DAygQFgglMAM&usg=AFQjCNEo7GO29LKF2FGoKsFa5v_lLxdRPg&sig2=aw0XgMXRKZNeQ9YBUwc1sA

I wouldn't have imagine than choosing a collant liquid would have lead me to make so much researches. 

I hope you understand I'm not trying to tell than Evans is not good for our cars, but just to find out what's the best solution.