free hit
counters
More newbie questions... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

More newbie questions...

Some more newbie-type questions to make you groan chaps (..this will also help all those that were afraid to ask!) - better to loose some forum credibility now than loose a lot of my money further down the line eh! Here goes my rep then....

1. How 'quick' is a non-turbo S3? The only Esprit I've been in for any length of time(s) was a Turbo which of course felt VERY punchy, but how do they perform without the turbo, is there still enough performance to justify the bodyshell?

2. I've been persuaded (by all the sound advice and case studies on this forum) to forget about buying a minger to renovate and buy one in good/running/useable condition with perhaps some very minor tinkering required - but what should I be paying for a roadworthy n/a S3?

Forum: n. fo

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Not as quick as a turbo, but nothing will keep up with you through the corners. If you want a straight line monster, get one blown, if you want more drivability through the twisties, get an NA*

2. Very hard to answer, but that sounds very cheap!

3. See here

*My opinion, but I would say that wouldn't I :o

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

1. The NAs were quick enough in their time and as Bibs says outhandle many to punch above their weight. But at the end of the day the G-car NAs have about 160bhp and the Turbos about 210. Despite being largely GRP they aren't all that light so Power to Weight is similar to many "ordinary" cars of today - even the Turbo. But...I like to think of it in the old Roller terms as "enough". Its certainly enough to enjoy yourself and its anough to hustle it round various tracks respectably. But in a straight traffic light GP you'd best pick your fights very carefully...or adopt a disdainful manner and pull away slowly!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Don't forget the the last S3 normally aspirated cars had the HC engine which had 180bhp, they don't seem to attract too much of a price premium over the earlier S3s and the power's a little step closer to the Turbos.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Don't forget the the last S3 normally aspirated cars had the HC engine which had 180bhp, they don't seem to attract too much of a price premium over the earlier S3s and the power's a little step closer to the Turbos.

Good point! :D

Forum: n. fo