free hit
counters
Wierd Moon last night (27/05/16) - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Wierd Moon last night (27/05/16)

• Gold FFM

Driving home last night the Moon was blindingly bright, so much so that I had to lower the visor in the car to shield my eyes. I'm presuming that it was caused by a combination of the Moon being relatively low in the sky, and there being a light mist hanging in the air which must have refracted the light and, instead of scattering the light as normally happens, this time it focused it into a concentrated 'beam'.

When I initially saw it, I thought it was something like a Police helicopter shining its Night-Sun searchlight directly in my face - it was an intense blue-white light and the source  at the centre of the 'glow' appeared much smaller than the moon normally appears, a bit like getting up close and personal with an HID headlight.

This first photo was taken with my mobile, so not the best quality but gives an idea of what it looked like........

David%20Mobile%20-%20270516%20170_zpsspn

Once home, I grabbed my DSLR and dived back outside. With a very dark (almost black) filter on the lens, it reveals the apparently 'small' moon at the centre of the 'corona' effect.......

486_zpsbfflcjqu.jpg

.......then using progressively lighter filters, you get back to the full intensity of the spectacle....

487_zps2t6rkoig.jpg

488_zps1mdyxaiw.jpg

489_zpso2u9fup5.jpg

Within about 15 minutes, the Moon had dipped a bit closer to the horizon and faded away to the indistinct object you'd expect to see on a misty evening.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You won't believe the things that have been going on with the moon. IMO the moon has been misdescribed since the incarnation of NASA    Buddsy

It's made of cheese as well - they've been keeping that hushed up

Posted Images

:secret:You won't believe the things that have been going on with the moon.

IMO the moon has been misdescribed since the incarnation of NASA 

Buddsy

• Like 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

• Gold FFM

You do realise, don't you, that you can't believe everything you see in an episode of Wallace and Gromit?

wallace-and-gromit-on-moon.jpg

It's all those extra immigrants causing extra smog. Or... It's the scare tactics been given a test run prior to next months vote.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017