free hit
counters
V8 Wing or No Wing? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

V8 Wing or No Wing?

Hello all,

Has any V8 owner removed their rear wing?   Any downside to the handling, drag, etc?   Is it hard to remove, and fill in the holes?  (We don't have the GT version in the US).

Just wondering because I saw this photo of an S4 without a wing and it looks pretty awesome to me.  Like a cool modern version of the S1.   Cheers!

image.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

http://lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EModifications/wingeffect.html

Interesting is the section from Lotus in terms of function and the effect of changing the configuration.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• Gold FFM

For me, no wing and high transom would look best on the later model cars, and according to that article, would have Lotus approval and minimal impact on dynamics. 

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Wow. That just looks ace. Lovely colour too, is a metallic?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

One of the panels probably is :lol:

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

7 hours ago, C8RKH said:

For me, no wing and high transom would look best on the later model cars, and according to that article, would have Lotus approval and minimal impact on dynamics. 

Yes good point.   I can't quite tell which transom I have (I assume there are 2 different kinds), but it is probably the low transom for every Esprit here in the US.   

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I found it, so I have the low transom.  I assume this is the high transom, looks very good.  Cracking.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by HowardRoark

If you can persuade your dealer to have the raised transom shipped over as a part number (A082B5258K and if there are any available at the factory!) then it just bolts on to the body of the car and is relatively simple, if expensive, conversion. However, DeRoure show it as being obsolete so you might be at the mercy of UK/EU vehicle breakers yards.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, march said:

Strangely enough my car has the high transom with the wing on and to my eyes the lines of both wing and transom compliment themselves rather well.

Pics please?   Cheers!  

• 3 years later...

I'm coming to this topic 3years late, but the original question also asked how easy it is to remove the wing and patch up. I'd be interested in views as I am considering removing the wing from my newly arriving 1988 NA which has a retro fitted SE wing.

• 1 month later...
On 30/05/2016 at 15:27, Advantage said:

If you can persuade your dealer to have the raised transom shipped over as a part number (A082B5258K and if there are any available at the factory!) then it just bolts on to the body of the car and is relatively simple, if expensive, conversion. However, DeRoure show it as being obsolete so you might be at the mercy of UK/EU vehicle breakers yards.  

I haven't done it, but I heard that the transom is bolted and glued, and very difficult to remove without damaging the one being removed. Which one is correct?