free hit
counters
New S vs new 350 Sport - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New S vs new 350 Sport

JG220

I'm moving on from my Evora to an Exige, and i'm buying it new (new old stock for the S, though still 2016 - not sure when the factory switched). 

I have a deposit on an S, which is just how I would have specified it (though i might have gone motorsport black over starlight). 

Black wheels on Black - perfect, It has: Metallic Paint, AC, Contrast Stich, Convenience, Premium pack sport, Race pack, Parking sensors. In all about £6k of options. Of course it is discounted from RRP.

It looks like the 350 comes with race pack as standard, and has far fewer options. So i'd have to add in met paint, AC and thats about it. And i'm not very far from the spec above. that would take the rrp to 55,900 + 1,500 +750 + on the road costs of 940 = £59,090. That is substantially cheaper than the £63,300 rrp for the S. 

Alright so I might have to add alcantara or leather pack for 1500, so call it £60,590, still £3k less than the S

What is the best discount to be negotiated on 350sport at the moment? Feels like I could get close to the S price...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Congrats on making the decision to move to an Exige. In terms of Exige S I'd expect you can pick these up for £55k with all the bits you'd want...

The 350 I'm not too sure on but if I was to buy new I'd buy the 350 it has too many great extras such as the rear tail gate, weight saving, and that lovely gear shift!

www.alias23.com

If the gear shift is anything like the improvement I felt on the Evora 400 vs my old Evora S (MY12 cables) , then that's got to be tempting,. At this point in time prefer the glass back of S, but you never know down the line ....

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

57 minutes ago, JG220 said:

I also prefer the glass rear, and dislike the matte parts of the 350 but i believe its a NCO to have them painted properly. 

Buy the 350 and we can swap the rear... You can have my glass rear and I'll have your slated.

Serious :)

www.alias23.com

If the styling is your thing or you are planning on tracking a lot I would go with the 350 - the new geo is more track suited. 

There is a lot of talk of the new gear mechanism - I've only driven on the Evora and other than being a bit different (and a bit stiffer) I can't say it made me think, "I wish I had this on my Exige". I've not had a problem with mine and its done a lot of miles on track and road. 

• Like 2

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Yes, they can. As it turns out they are somewhat similar to the Geo changes @Randy applied to mine a year or so ago for the better. I believe the wheels are different though with a forged option that is not compatible. You also have the weight saving, although I am not sure how much of this is over the forged wheels and new rear engine cover.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

15 minutes ago, LF1 said:

Yes, they can. As it turns out they are somewhat similar to the Geo changes @Randy applied to mine a year or so ago for the better. I believe the wheels are different though with a forged option that is not compatible. You also have the weight saving, although I am not sure how much of this is over the forged wheels and new rear engine cover.

Tom: could you do me a favor and send me the GEO changes that @Randy did to yours? I am just right now looking at going that route...

Thanks

Norbert

Oakmere have a black S for sale at £53,000. They took this car on, just as the the 350 was announced so have had it sitting round the back for quite sometime and the price has been coming down steadily. It is now nearly 10k under list price and i just cant see the gear change benefits on the 350 adding up to this amount in benefit, unless you plan to track it every weekend. I would guess with hard and patient negotiating you could get it for nearly 50K. :devil:

51 minutes ago, JG220 said:

That isn't helping at all...

Well... Im sorry... well done on the ££ saving for the new car.. hope that you enjoy it more than the evora 

I don't think he meant it like that Mark :lol:

I think he was hoping for "Buy the S, save your money, the 350 isn't worth it" where as your review link is playing on his "have I done the right thing" thoughts ;)

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

4 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

I don't think he meant it like that Mark :lol:

I think he was hoping for "Buy the S, save your money, the 350 isn't worth it" where as your review link is playing on his "have I done the right thing" thoughts ;)

Hi Lee, 

I think both versions are fantastic and in the real world not that much different once your driving them.

Looking forward to seeing all these parked up at the national 

No Brainer.

Buy the 350.. surely you will get extra money back in long run.

Given the louvred bootlid is £1800+VAT from lotus then surely you can recoup at least half that if you want the glass panel....

Makes me wonder why none of the aftermarket companies haven't started selling a louvred panel replacement at a reasonable price. I have only seen a complete boot lid.

I'm sticking with the S. 

there is at least a £6.5k difference which even with marginally better residuals, I can't justify. 

I only got to a new one, when the used cars didn't have the options i wanted. this would just be further scope creep. 

32 minutes ago, JG220 said:

I'm sticking with the S. 

there is at least a £6.5k difference which even with marginally better residuals, I can't justify. 

I only got to a new one, when the used cars didn't have the options i wanted. this would just be further scope creep. 

At £6.5k difference for sure stay with the S !

1 hour ago, RedViper said:

No Brainer.

Buy the 350.. surely you will get extra money back in long run.

Given the louvred bootlid is £1800+VAT from lotus then surely you can recoup at least half that if you want the glass panel....

Makes me wonder why none of the aftermarket companies haven't started selling a louvred panel replacement at a reasonable price. I have only seen a complete boot lid.

EL-Tech do the complete boot lid circa £1k plus shipping and customs.

Komotec boot lid from memory is £1.7k and can be purchased from Hanger111 very easily.

If the costs were circa £800 i'd make the switch for sure, but over a £1k is a hefty price to pay.... You do make a very good point reference just replacing the glass with louvered panel. I'd probably go a bit further and ask the question as to if you could replace the glass with polycarbonate/lexan window that why you retain the 'look at my engine' and gain a weight saving.

Anyone know whats involved with taking out the rear glass of the boot lid?

www.alias23.com

Agree with Imran... at that price difference I definitely would go for the S....

Replacing the rear glass with Poly should be fairly easy if you find somebody who will manufacture it for you... that might be the issue with very low numbers not justifying the tooling etc... 

When I saw the pictures of the S350 I honestly thought it would be about £300/£400 or so for the panel. I prefer the look of it and its lighter and allows more engine cooling so no down side in my eyes apart from the insane pricing. For a "reasonable" price I think lotus would have these flying out of the door. I cant imagine there being a meeting at Hethel where someone says "we can replace the glass boot cover and save 3kg but its going to put the price of car up £2k" and someone thinking that was good idea.. some of the aftersales prices really boggle the mind.

From lotus:

The louvered panel simply replaces the original fit glass – this would need to be cut out and the new panel bonded in – there are no other changes, though of course the heated rear window is deleted.

Edited by RedViper

52 minutes ago, JG220 said:

I'm sticking with the S. 

£6.5k is a big difference. from reading your original post I thought it was a lot less than that.

Poly Carb Window: interesting - talked to my dealership today and they told me that they are working on sourcing a Poly Carb Rear Window as a replacement for the louvred one on the new 350, as a lot of potential customers complain about the look of it... and they think it should be doable for around 800 EURs and are considering offering this as a dealer install option... 

2 hours ago, RedViper said:

£6.5k is a big difference. from reading your original post I thought it was a lot less than that.

Yes, now i re-read it, it isn't clear. 

Anyway, i'm delighted, can't wait to collect it etc.