free hit
counters
Useless "Ducktail spoiler" on Guigiaro cars - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GTK

Useless "Ducktail spoiler" on Guigiaro cars

fxgjes.jpg

thats why this is made, just because Colin Chapman wanted the ducktall spoiler so badly, and the car was very bad inside the wind-tunnel without this louver spoiler...

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 5/31/2016 at 09:40, Andyww said:

If you look at the airflow design of the G Turbo it seems they were putting engine bay cooling at the top of the priority list. The undertray has an upward slope on the rear edge of it. Air comes in through the ducts and the rear edge directs it upwards through the engine bay. The undertray extends to just behind the sill ducts.

So this airflow is only going to work if the air can escape through the louvres. The Gurney flap would likely help with pushing air flowing over the top of the car upwards to allow room for the louvre air to escape.

Overall aero probably came second to the necessity of dealing with a turbo engine encased in a small fibreglass box.

Many people at the time thought Lotus simply made up Cd figures. The Europa had a Lotus figure of 0.29 which nobody who actually tested it could get anywhere close to.  

Here is an example of a pointless spoiler on my 328. Nobody has ever been able to explain any benefit to these spoilers, which were a factory option, other than appearance.

DSCN2882.JPG

i wouldnt be so sure that 308 airfoil was pointless... just because the ferrari didnt explain its function dosent mean it didnt work (big debate on fchat).

pinninfarina built a new wind tunnel in the late 60's. the 74 boxer was the first production fcar to be extensively tested have one of these roof airfoils.  in 77 a car called the aerodynimico based on the 308gtb was unveil in geneva featuring many areo add-on also  had this roof airfoil.  many of these features ended up on the 308qvs and 288gto.

was it a fad or a styling gimmick? most likely yes. did it worked? most likely yes.  many station wagons had similar airfoils to guide the are around the back-light as well as rallye cars right up to the modern ages that were wind tunnel developed.  

lotus did have a habit of posting all sorts of numbers and spec that nobody can ever replicate back then.  if its anywhere near .32 cd its still amongst the slipperiest car of the 70's.  porsche 924 and the Renault Fuego went to great lengths to boast to the public when they got their cars down to .32-.35 cd

Where ARE all the Stratoses nowadays? I've NEVER seen one out and about. 

Worth waaaay too much money these days. Probably in collections. But what a looker, eh? Stunning looking car. I remember seeing the Chequered Flag one on the RAC Lombard rally going round the Great Orme in N.Wales. Wonderful nouse from the V6!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vanya said:

Where ARE all the Stratoses nowadays? I've NEVER seen one out and about. 

You just need to go to the Alpine passes in Switzerland in the summer. I came across one last year!

Digging up an old thread here but as my new job has got me connected to an expert in the vehicle aero field, my interest has once again been piqued. I read this with interest ages ago but clearly misread it. I thought the ducktail was useless. Clearly, reading again, the problem is that it is too good. But my question is, does this apply to the turbo version only? Or is that applicable to the non turbo cars? I realise the turbo has a larger duck tail but both versions have a duck tail. 

Every time i see the front hood raised one handed on an early esprit it makes me crindge as you can almost hear those horrible glassed in mounts crack as the bonnet flexes from only having one bonnet stay,  so wish they had fitted 2 weak gas struts :( 

Just been reading the earlier Walton book and it would suggest that the aero of the S1 [0.34 Cd] was decent for a car of the Esprit's size. It says the aero was a fraction better on the S2 [0.335 Cd] but that was because of the revised front section. Seems the issue only arose when the duck tail got substantially bigger on with the Turbo cars.

8 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Every time i see the front hood raised one handed on an early esprit it makes me crindge as you can almost hear those horrible glassed in mounts crack as the bonnet flexes from only having one bonnet stay

I was in a garage once and the MOT tested dropped the bonnet from a height expecting to latch it.    I can still hear my Nooooooo......   Luckily no harm done

• Haha 1

I thought the story was that initially chapman didn`t want to go ahead with Giugiaros esprit design because he was disappointed with aerodynamic tests, but Giugiaro made the prototype regardelss, and convinced Chapman to continue development.  

Edited by Mark Wainwright

No idea Mark,  Maybe  that was the case, just another mystery that will be added to the Hethal melting pot that can never be truly answered, like many of the old lotus stuff.

Just adds to the lure lol :)

18 hours ago, Mark Wainwright said:

I thought the story was that initially chapman didn`t want to go ahead with Giugiaros esprit design because he was disappointed with aerodynamic tests, but Giugiaro made the prototype regardelss, and convinced Chapman to continue development.  

I dont think that was the case, most of the evidence indicates Chapman wanted the Guigiaro design exactly as he drew it. He told his sceptical designers to get on with it and make it work or else.

I believe that applied to the original car design and also the Turbo package including the spoiler.

I know from someone at Connollys at the time that the ruched leather which was part of the Turbo package initially couldnt be done by the trim shop but they were told they had to learn how to do it and no arguments and make the leather from Connolly work even though this guy had told them it was impossible because it needed thinner leather.

That seemed to be the story of the car, Chapman set the bar high!

• Like 1