free hit
counters
Doing my first track day in the V6 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Doing my first track day in the V6

ChrisBuer

I've got my first track day in the V6 booked in a few weeks time at Snetterton. Coincidently this ties in with my annual service where in taking the car back to Lotus Motorsport. 

Given the car will be with them a little while, are there any small mods that are worth doing to the car? I was thinking of maybe better brake fluid? If so, is there a recommended fluid to use?

Apart from that I'm looking forward to trying out race mode and getting a feel for the performance without worrying about speed cameras!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What's the noise limit on the day? Your car is pretty loud! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hmmm, how does servicing by Lotus Motorsport compare? Any benefits?

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

At Cadwell Park I had to release 10psi of air from each tyre due to heat increase.  Friend with a Noble and nitrogen in the tyres stayed at same psi for the same sessions.    Going to change mine to nitrogen for next track day.

Had no problems with brakes and was hitting them pretty hard.  

Have fun. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

37 minutes ago, Bibs said:

What's the noise limit on the day? Your car is pretty loud! 

102db static and 90db driveby. 

I may have to keep the value shut and lift off by the sound meters!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChrisBuer said:

If you have a local track nearby I would be very tempted to get a sound check before the actual day. I think you might struggle with the road system. Hopefully I am wrong though.

On 2 June 2016 at 21:48, CocoPops said:

Hmmm, how does servicing by Lotus Motorsport compare? Any benefits?

I've got nothing to compare against (my car has only ever been serviced at Motorsports) but, IMHO, there are plenty of benefits. Prices are good and, obviously, their technical experience and knowledge is second to none. There have been plenty of times when I have had particular queries and Roly has been able to directly call the person in question to get the answer. I don't think that a franchised service agent would have this sort of facility. There is also their obvious motorsports (small 'm'!) experience.

Personally, I would much rather see a Motorsports service stamp in the book than another agent.

Would agree with that 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• Gold FFM

Would love to get mine services by Motorsports but It's a 900 mile round trip!  Maybe I need to open a Lotus Dealership at Knockhill track here in Scotland and convince Motorsports to have a northern service centre there too!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

On 2. Juni 2016 at 22:23, ChrisBuer said:

I've got my first track day in the V6 booked in a few weeks time at Snetterton. Coincidently this ties in with my annual service where in taking the car back to Lotus Motorsport. 

Given the car will be with them a little while, are there any small mods that are worth doing to the car? I was thinking of maybe better brake fluid? If so, is there a recommended fluid to use?

Apart from that I'm looking forward to trying out race mode and getting a feel for the performance without worrying about speed cameras!

Chris, I upgraded the brake fluid when I was in your shoes some time ago. Just to be safe - cant say if it really was necessary. I used a racing brake fluid - Castrol SRF Racing > DOT 4.

Thats the only thing I did. And after 3 track days now I must say this worked just fine ... no brake issues at all ...

You can always do more but imho the Exige is good to go as it comes...

Have fun on track ;-)

Norbert

Just be aware most racing brake fluids need changing annually, as they absorb moisture. 

It took me two trackdays to properly boil the brake fluid so you might be ok for the first one. I've now got SRF in there as well and expect to change it every year. 

Similarly, I've done 4 days in the Cup and only on the last one did I feel the fluid was past its best. Now running ATE Type 200 fluid prior to Spa next week.

• Gold FFM

Or don't use the brakes!  :devil:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

On 2 June 2016 at 22:24, ChrisBuer said:

I got thrown off snetterton with my old caterham r500. They let me back on in the pm but i had to short shift and back off at Murrays before the straight. 

On 07/06/2016 at 11:47, Arun_D said:

Indeed, the car feels great with the new fluid, tyres and additional camber.

What camber are you running? Just the max the cup will go to or have you modified to run more camber?