free hit
counters
A couple of electrical failures - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
S3mon

A couple of electrical failures

Hi

I am just prepping my Esprit for sale :( and the old girl is kicking back by suddenly developing a couple of electrical faults

First is the wiper just stopped today on the highway in heavy rain - fortunately I'd just detailed the car yesterday and rainx on the windscreen meant it wasn't much of a problem

So how do I go about troubleshooting the wiper? The 8 fuses in the glovebox look ok - as do the connections to the stalk on the steering column

second is the electric mirror adjustment - thats given up the ghost today as well - I can't adjust either side

Any tips/suggestions of where i should start? I am armed with my multimeter so going to check connections - how do I get to the wiper motor?

thanks

Simon

Edited by S3mon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

just to add:

Wiper

the wiper stuck 1/2 way through it's cycle, in the middle of the windscreen. If I have the ignition on, the motor near the bonnet release gets really hot.

mirrors

I think there is power going to the controller. but nothing happening with the mirrors themselves. Is there a fuse anywhere I could check?

fixed one problem - found a fuse behind the centre console which had blown - so now I have working mirror adjusters again.

Still stumped by the wiper though. I tried looking at the gearbox at the end of the pipe from the motor - how the hell do you get at that?

when I select the wiper stalk, I can here a clicking under the dash and as I said the wiper motor gets hot - so I assume it's trying to return the arm to the rest position but not able to turn it ? Can I therefore point to the gearbox as the culprit?

Doesn't sound good, I think that must be the first part they put in the cabin when building the car! Well this and the air cond box.

I remember seeing it when I changed my heater core and hoping I never have to take that motor off...

There is a slight chance it seized on the pivot.

Good luck.

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

From your description it sounds like the mechanism that powers the wheel box has snapped

i replaced Sue's with one from a Land Rover was about £10 and a bit long but a hacksaw soon sorted it out. I went for the Land Rover one as the area where it had snapped was reinforced 

on Sue's 84 car it was quite easy to remove.

Remove the wiper arm

undo the wheel box (nuts are accessible by reaching up under the dash)

Remove the C clamp holding the motor ( the nuts are inside the wheel arch)

Disconnect the electrical plug then wiggle out out the whole assembly. The large tube nut comes off and this should reveal the snapped "Bowden cable with bumps/teeth" is the only way I can describe it.

Sue's motor got extremely hot as without the mechanism attached it just runs and runs 

john

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331847356717 

Edited by Mr_John111
Link to example on eBay

ok I finally got the motor out and noticed the brushes have disintegrated

the rest of the mechanism looks good, the teeth on the nylon wheel look in good condition and the grease seems to have done its job.

I tested the power and its definitely got good connections so the finger of suspicion is currently pointed at the brushes.

38 minutes ago, S3mon said:

ok I finally got the motor out and noticed the brushes have disintegrated

the rest of the mechanism looks good, the teeth on the nylon wheel look in good condition and the grease seems to have done its job.

I tested the power and its definitely got good connections so the finger of suspicion is currently pointed at the brushes.

Ok

did the motor come out without having to remove the tube and the wheelbox? If so, how did you manage that??

do me a favor, take off the tube nut and then the plate off of the "gearbox" and just make sure that the cable is still attached and that by moving the end of the cable in and out that the spindle at the wheel box turns.

the original symptoms you reported where exactly the same as when Sue's cable snapped 

john