free hit
counters
S4 hatch lid on an S3? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

S4 hatch lid on an S3?

deecee

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Why is why you think it would be a good idea to do some cut and paste on the body? :sofa:

Seriously, the S3 has a great angular/sharp design (which I love!), while the S4 is much more rounded off. Very obvious when you view them next to each other, and even if it physically fits, I really doubt it could be made to look right.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

It looks like you're trying to build an S4!

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

On 6/8/2016 at 02:04, deecee said:

The "mongrel" was the stock Esprit that came from the factory with virtually every part, short of the body, stolen from someone else's parts bin.

Well that statement is a load of hogwash B-)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• Gold FFM
On 5 June 2016 at 18:41, deecee said:

Anyone ever try to fit an S4 hatch lid on an S3?

I reckon sticking tits on a fish would be more purposeful

please please please please for the love of God - leave the car as she is. If you can't - please sell it and buy a porsche instead - that will give you a lot more options 

• Like 2

Only here once

Monkey Man = Is that a photoshop or did the hatch from an 88 actually fit?

Anyone want to see it with the vette rear tailights that it now has, or do you want to wait and see it with the 3 V8 taillights per side that I'm putting in?

5 hours ago, deecee said:

Monkey Man = Is that a photoshop or did the hatch from an 88 actually fit?

Anyone want to see it with the vette rear tailights that it now has, or do you want to wait and see it with the 3 V8 taillights per side that I'm putting in?

Oh go on then, since you've already started....

Sparky, its metamorphosis has already begun. Nothing to do now but witness the spectacle. 

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

"butchery"????

The car has "ears" that look like a hillbilly after a bad haircut, hatch louvers that should require the driver to sport a mullet, and a square bodyside moulding that camoflagues a mid-waist seam in the way that yoga pants hide fat rolls.

Thrust me...lighting it on fire and collecting the insurance has enetered my mind on several occasions.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
12 minutes ago, deecee said:

"butchery"????

The car has "ears" that look like a hillbilly after a bad haircut, hatch louvers that should require the driver to sport a mullet, and a square bodyside moulding that camoflagues a mid-waist seam in the way that yoga pants hide fat rolls.

Thrust me...lighting it on fire and collecting the insurance has enetered my mind on several occasions.

Feel free to set fire to it. That will increase the value of the standard cars, plus we won't have to put up with the abomination. Job done.

Margate Exotics.

The ears and louvres are what defines the turboesprit for me. Very 80's ,I wouldn't want to change mine but if a later tailgate fits whats the problem?  Keep the original and keep it with the car so that it can be returned to standard if required.

Came across this in the project and restoration section

medida     1

Basic Account

35 posts

8 Years, 6 Months and 15 Days

Posted February 14, 2015

I have a 2001 V8 and a 1986 that I am working on.  The 2001 will fit into the 1986 G car.  There is more curvature to the Steven's, so in the middle (left to right of the car) it is proud by an inch or so.  At the extreme ends (left and right of the middle) it is a little low....maybe 1/2 inch

Ignoring the aesthetics of fitting a hatch from an S4 in place of the flat-glass s3 type, worth having a look at the 5th Gear episode (youtube) where they had the Esprit project, they fitted a flat perspex sheet in place of the Louvre to massively reduce drag. This means that 1) the car will be slowed down by the change, 2) this may alter the handling due to quite different aerodynamics.