free hit
counters
Poor running when cold - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I've had a minor problem on an off for a while - if I blip the throttle a little shortly after starting the engine from cold, the revs tend to die a bit instead of actually rising. This soon clears after a few seconds of running, and it's absolutely fine when the engine is warm. It actually reminds me of an old car with a carburettor.

Has anybody else experienced this? I've been advised that it could just be the IAC valve needs cleaning. But wondering if this is at all common on Evoras?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just realised I left this thread hanging without a resolution. It's got to be worth logging the result in case anybody else comes across similar trouble. A couple of weeks ago, the engine su

Just disconnect the battery for 30 seconds or so. Make sure you leave it 15 mins since the car last ran though before you do. 

Just your radio stations! 

Have you reset the ECU to see if the problem goes away? 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Just disconnect the battery for 30 seconds or so. Make sure you leave it 15 mins since the car last ran though before you do. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Just your radio stations! 

• Like 1

Evora NA

And don't close the boot either! 

• Like 1

Evora NA

This was mentioned over on the LT forums, but sometimes a good throttle body cleaning and MAF cleaning (with MAF-specific cleaner only!) can clear up idle dips/stalls. Something else to try if the ECU reset doesn't fix it. 

• Like 1

Well, having disconnected the battery last night, the car seemed even more grumpy this morning :(

I guess it was worse because the ECU has some re-learning to do, but it's not promising.

Tomorrow, I'm getting the MAF and throttle body cleaned, and maybe trying a Terraclean.

I think the oil may have been slightly over filled on the recent service. I don't suppose that might cause these problems?

Let it tick over for 15 mins with the AC on, that'll get it back up to speed.

Evora NA

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we threw some new spark plugs in the motor, and I noticed that one of the breather pipes was slightly kinked since I fitted the induction kit, so I sorted that. On a whim, I took the inlet pipe off the throttle body, and gave the inside of the throttle a quick wipe. All of this seemed to make a slight improvement.

For my next trick, I thrashed the car over to Germany, and did a few laps of the Nurburgring. It now seems perfect :D Maybe it just needed a good run to shift some gunk, or maybe the 102 octane juice I filled up with at the 'ring did the trick.

Surprising update!

My car has been running beautifully since I returned from Germany, I though all was well...

Until this morning. The problem came back. But here's the thing... I filled up with petrol last night, at the same place I normally get fuel. It's a Shell station near me, on the M42. I always use their V Power Nitro+ unleaded.

Could be a coincidence, but could be the car doesn't like their fuel for some reason. Any thoughts?

My slow starting problem went away but came back after a refill with v power.  

I will monitor. Been using v power mostly for 2 years with no issues until last month. 

• Like 1

That is interesting...

My car actually stalled whilst I was changing down from 4th to 3rd at around 60mph today :(

I've booked it in for a check-over Lotus Silverstone next week, let hope they can shed some light on it.