free hit
counters
Headlight lift fuse location? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Buddsy

Headlight lift fuse location?

Hi anybody tell me where the fuse is located for the headlight lift motors?

I had a small old clip get stuck under one of the mechanisms...on me MOT! Cant think for the life of me where it is?

Buddsy :realmad:

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not 100% sure but according to the parts manual, its going to be one of a few black 40Amp fuses under the bonnet on the passenger side towards the front of the car.

Number 5 in the image. :) 

headlamp relay location S3 and Turbo.png

It's getting there......

There actually arent any fuses under the bonnet. The fuse is one of the 8 in the glovebox, easiest just to check all of them rather than trying to work out which one it is.

10 hours ago, Andyww said:

There actually arent any fuses under the bonnet. The fuse is one of the 8 in the glovebox, easiest just to check all of them rather than trying to work out which one it is.

Hi thanks I think Tim has the relays in mind.

I have a small black box in the glove box with I think 4 fuses in which I had a very quick peak at and look to be intact.

So if they are ok where do I go from here? Are the relays fused? The MOT tester said the lift motor got very hot. Would have done as it was trying to work!

Buddsy

Buddsy

Will check mine later but mine are definitely in the glove box on my '84 car.  I know because if I flash the lights the fuse pops and headlights stick half way up. 

OOP's my bad. I had relays on the brain as I have been working on an Elites motorised headlamps. :) 

Hope you get it sorted with anew fuse.

It's getting there......

No worries Tim. I get them muddled too. There seem to be plenty of relay but not many fuses I can find!

Buddsy

If you just need to pop the headlamp up to retrieve the clip, just undo the lift rod and pull the pod up with your hand.

Not sure they had a fuse which is why the light switch would melt rather than a fuse blow if there was a problem...

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

16 minutes ago, peteyg said:

If you just need to pop the headlamp up to retrieve the clip, just undo the lift rod and pull the pod up with your hand.

Not sure they had a fuse which is why the light switch would melt rather than a fuse blow if there was a problem...

Thats right, the relays which control the motors are switched by the lighting feed via the light switch with no fuse (not good!). But the actual motors are fed from a fused supply.

Ok so I only managed a quick look last night.

The fuses in the glove box look quite small rated and visually look intact.

In the front passenger side near the screen wash reservoir I found a melted fuse holder on a purple wire! What fuse was in there as to melt the unit rather than blowing??! 

I will fix that one then see where I am. 

Buddsy

That would be the well-known melting fan relay.

These were fitted on early turbo cars and they cant take the load of the 3 fans so they melt and eventually the fan fail light comes on and the fans stop. The fan fail light really should be marked "Fan relay melted" rather than fan fail.

What I did was replace this with a meaty 30 amp non-fused relay and added a thermal cutout in series with it to give some overload protection.

Later cars have 3 thermal trips, one per fan which is even better.

This is nothing to do with the headlamps though.

• Like 1

Oh! Well I have been having the fan fail light flickering on although quite dull some time. So that would explain!

Although not lifting I can hear the relays working...well it could be the relays for the lights I guess as although not coming up the lights are coming on.

Im kicking myself really as if I have turned the lights on and one had not come up I would have disconnected the battery and investigated...bloody MOT tester <_< Never happened before either.

Buddsy

My fan-fail light came on at Duxford. Luckily mine wasn't the fused relay but the earth that came from the fused relay had dropped off the washer bottle motor. My light was bright rather than flickering, so check your earths as well.

• Like 1

The fuse holder on the purple wire in the front boot, is the 10A headlight lift fuse. It was the first thing I fixed on our car when we got it.

Sometimes I think they didnt build any 2 of these cars the same :)

13 hours ago, SR111 said:

The fuse holder on the purple wire in the front boot, is the 10A headlight lift fuse. It was the first thing I fixed on our car when we got it.

I do hope so as its the only one I can seem to find! Seems mad though that its melted rather than popping?

It does look to be going to the lift motor but as Andy said youre never quite sure with these cars! 

Buddsy

If the contacts get badly tarnished, they can build enough resistance to get hot with normal current. Still, I would expect the motors would have to energised for longer than the 2 seconds it takes to lift the headlight. Presumably it was because the light was jammed?

Yes a fragment of the old jack retaining clip had somehow got under the mechanism in just the wrong way!

Buddsy

So I cut away the melted fuse holder and just to try used a length of wire and yes the motors now lift ok!

Tomorrow I will try to get a new fuse holder and fit that.

Cheers every one for your help and support.

Buddsy

• Like 2

Excellent news, glad you got it sorted.

:) 

• Like 1

It's getting there......

Strange, this fuse must have been a production change or a service bulletin. I have not seen one here before and its not on the wiring diagram.

Anyway, good that its sorted and apologies for incorrect advice!

Andy no worries these cars are so different who knows?

I am interested in finding a fuse for the fans though just to look at it.

Ive bought a replacement fuse holder one that takes the new blade type fuse is this a better idea?

Buddsy

But does your car have the early type relay with the fuse mounted on top for the fans or the later thermal trip module?

If the early type fused relay, I replaced this with a standard 30 amp relay and added one of these in series: 

http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity-potter-brumfield/w57-xb1a4a10-15/circuit-breaker-15a/dp/9659196