free hit
counters
Failed convertible - wrongly described? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Failed convertible - wrongly described?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Eclat-Elite-1976-for-spares-/122007804121?hash=item1c683b58d9:g:QBcAAOSwR5dXTer1

A classic example of how to leave car design to the experts. However........

Advertised as a Elite/Eclat 1976.........

That has to be an Ecxel body surely? Bumper is too tight to the body and also the doors are not the right shape, or is my mind playing tricks?

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi to all , I am new to this forum , but I will hold my hands up , I have just bought the ebay car , will let you know what it is and what state its in whaen I collect it next weel

For that you need sky hooks to fit them onto

well, off the stag style T bar of course!

Posted Images

Yes, doors have too little drop from the front piece to the glass area, also door handles are the Excel type, windscreen surrounds on the side appear flush to the body not recessed for chrome trim, other things  called out on the Excel forum discussion such as bonnet type.

So, when driving how is the windscreen held forwards to resist the wind? Oh it isn't.

24 minutes ago, andydclements said:

So, when driving how is the windscreen held forwards to resist the wind? Oh it isn't.

Active aerodynamics - another first from lotus on a 1983 car...

the body on this definitely started life as a narrow body excel.

i actually quite like the shape, but with no roll over hoop, I'd be a bit concerned about being in it if it flipped. Ideally it needs some form of roll hoop structure, but if it's behind the rear seats it would have to be fairly high to protect a line above the front occupants head and nose of the vehicle.

or maybe it could be a roll hoop mounted mid ships and a bit lower - strange that Lotus never thought to do that... Oh - wait a minute...

Seen this for sale at least twice before. Tells you something about (a) what shape it's really in and (b) how likely it is to ever be completed.

Plus it seems to have no ID.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

On 09 June 2016 at 00:02, oilmagnet477 said:

Mike, you can read my mind lol. That's why I queried the 1976 bit as that's what I've already got

On 08 June 2016 at 18:36, eeyoreish said:

Seen this for sale at least twice before. Tells you something about (a) what shape it's really in and (b) how likely it is to ever be completed.

Plus it seems to have no ID.

Hi to all , I am new to this forum , but I will hold my hands up , I have just bought the ebay car , will let you know what it is and what state its in whaen I collect it next weel

• Like 1

Hi Lee.

Good luck, and well done for having the courage to take on such a project. You may benefit from starting a thread in the projects & restorations area, because I think there may be several things to consider on this car.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find this place to be a useful source of information for these cars!

What are your plans for it? I think it would be good to see a hood on it but to fashion rear winding windows, although not impossible would be a pain. And it really needs to have some strengthening.

• Gold FFM

Bargain car Lee - hope you can make something useful out of her.

worse case you'd make a profit breaking the old girl

Only here once

Alternatively, go for the ultimate? If it has excel running gear underneath, put an elite body on. Shells are worth sod all and you'd have the best looking version (in my biased opinion lol) on toyota based running gear. First check for galv chassis and what gearbox you have.

Well done anyway - anything you need help with, just ask. You've started in the right place!

I'm not sure it does need "strengthening". The car is on a steel backbone chassis, it's not a monocoque like a normal car. There are plenty of ragtop Elan+2's around that have had the same treatment.

My only caveat to this would be if the front windscreen supports have any flex in them, you could end up with a cracked screen, but if the screen is bonded in properly and there is enough strength left in the fibreglass - I suspect it'll probably be okay.

If it was mine, I would be adding some roll over protection for safety, but thats a different story.

Getting an id shouldn't be impossible, as the chassis number was stamped into the chassis on the excels (and it wasn't on the earlier cars- just a plate).

Armed with a chassis number, the lotus archivists will give you the cars details for a fee. You can then apply for a V5 using chassis number and registration number.

One thing that could be interesting is the lack of door frames. Does this mean it has no glass? In which case, its never going to be weatherproof. Not a major issue on a glassfibre car perhaps, but it does mean you will need to make the interior from waterproof vinyl and carry a towel in the boot.

Gearbox alone is worth what you paid for the car.

I'm with Mike that it probably needs some strengthening. The strengthening I'd have thought was necessary is;

Roll-over bar (it's been removed) and to include some sort of hoop plus rear-facing supports

Windscreen (The A pillars really aren't strong, the roof does that bit normally),

Door window supports (perhaps the lack of roof gives fresh options such as acrylic fixed/ pop-in/out ones)

General body sides (possibly the roll-over bar will do it) to stop them flapping and cracking the paint.

I think the subframe alone is enough to not flex unduly due to suspension load.

4 hours ago, andydclements said:

I'm with Mike that it probably needs some strengthening. The strengthening I'd have thought was necessary is;

Roll-over bar (it's been removed) and to include some sort of hoop plus rear-facing supports

Windscreen (The A pillars really aren't strong, the roof does that bit normally),

Door window supports (perhaps the lack of roof gives fresh options such as acrylic fixed/ pop-in/out ones)

General body sides (possibly the roll-over bar will do it) to stop them flapping and cracking the paint.

I think the subframe alone is enough to not flex unduly due to suspension load.

The door beams certainly tie into the roll bar via the latch mechanism. If the roll bar has been removed and not cut then this will certainly be a problem. The roll over bar will transfer any side impact through the car to the other side. If it has been cut then the remaining section will not be much use in any event.

On 6/13/2016 at 16:20, biggee said:

Looking forward to seeing this develop.  It can be done if you recall the PBaily St Tropez Esprit.  Lee if you need Pete's details I can get them for you. EspritStTropez_Aug14_01.gif

Edited by Hawaiis0
Photo inclusion

Complete re-work. Gull wing doors?:devil:

But in all seriousness, biggest 2 questions are: How deep are your pockets and what is possible within that budget and/or your capabilities?

Answer that and you are half way there. Seeing through a restoration of a standard lotus is challenging enough, adding in this level of grief is not for the faint hearted.

I still favour the Elite over Excel running gear but that's just me!

5 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Complete re-work. Gull wing doors?:devil:

But in all seriousness, biggest 2 questions are: How deep are your pockets .......

Having only lashed out £275 I think he's got plenty left:lol: