free hit
counters
Evora niggles/faults - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While giving my brother a lift recently I noticed his seat creaking. It hasn't creaked with anyone else. I should also note my bro weighs in at over 20st. I have therefore come to the conclusion that

Slightly off topice.  Just to put Lotus Evora repairs in prespective, I recommend taking a look at Doug DeMuro's latest video on the maintenance costs of his 2009 Aston Martin Vantage V8.  Annual serv

That's a good point @JayEmmand seems to be a problem with many Evora 400 competitors. Porsche 911 non GT/RS models, so Carerra 2/4 and S etc., Audi R8's and even the mighty Nissan GT-R's in factory fo

Posted Images

Had my car a month now, although I've been away on hols so only now starting to add miles. I have a couple of minor niggles...  yes the seat has started to creak, when I test drove the car it had 700 miles on ( demonstrator)  and the seat definitely didn't make any noise, so something must be working loose. Otherwise I find the seat really comfortable, have done a couple of longer journeys now. I do find the seatbelt rides slightly too high and rubs on the side of my neck due to the seat design but am thinking about a solution for that. The only other fault is the fan for air/ a/c etc pulses in an odd way at higher outputs but has worked ok with the fan set low. At some point I'll pop the car back to Hofmanns to get these things sorted out, but am enjoying driving it way too much for that to happen at the mo. All in all nothing major but could do better.. 

I've had mine about two weeks. Picked up with 1000 miles on it and now with about 1500 miles, so far no creaking seats.

I did my first long journey in it this weekend, the weather was hot so it was air-con on all the way (which works very well). After about two hours a very noticeable rattle started from behind the dashboard area which was loud enough to be annoying. sometime later I switched off the air-con as it was getting too chilly in the car and the rattle immediately stopped. After a short while I switched the air-con back on and the rattle never returned. The journey home the following day was another warm one so it was air-con on all the way, but the rattle never reappeared so I'll have to see whether it returns again. If it does, I'll need the dealer to sort it.

Other than that, no niggles to report. The car is superb.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mcx said:

The only other fault is the fan for air/ a/c etc pulses in an odd way at higher outputs but has worked ok with the fan set low. At some point I'll pop the car back to Hofmanns to get these things sorted out, but am enjoying driving it way too much for that to happen at the mo.

Martin

You might want to take the car in sooner rather than later.  This sounds like an issue with the solenoid on the air conditioning unit (it happened to mine and also one other car).  We originally had the pulsing you refer to but eventually it got to the point where the fan wouldn't turn off, even with the key out of the ignition.  You then needed to remove the fuse or run the risk of the battery being flat when you return to the car.

Greg

• Like 1
13 hours ago, 99Problems said:

JayEmm, did this seat creaking get resolved once and for all?

Curious if any other more recent 400 owners have seen some of these "niggles" in their brand new cars. 

No

I have just dropped it back with Lotus for them to have a second attempt at fixing it. I will see what happens.

I believe my entire seat is being replaced because the drivers side bolster has also worn an unacceptable amount for a two month old car.

Also, it appears there is no easy way to put the old Recaros in.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

That's disconcerting, sorry to hear that.  Fingers crossed your issue is isolated. I've been informed my car is nearing the end of production and due to ship out beginning of August. I'd like to think a creaking, or prematurely aging seat is not an issue I'd have 2 months down the line in a brand new car. 

I hate to tell you this, but don't bank on it.

If they'd fixed the problem once and for all I wouldn't have my car in for its fifth overall attempt at a fix

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Is that a polite way of saying that it is built for the larger average driver over there?  :devil:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Not at all...  but funny.  The US has a sturdier seat simply due to the air bag.  Seating dimensions should be about the same.  I guess it'll come down to where creaks are coming from.  It could be universal to all Sparco sourced seats.

• Like 1

I'd like to believe that, but that conjecture.  Unfortunately info out of Lotus as we've all come to know, is pretty bad about sharing.  And even a company that communicates very well probably aren't going to tell you what they are or are not doing to fix common issues on a new car.

While giving my brother a lift recently I noticed his seat creaking. It hasn't creaked with anyone else. I should also note my bro weighs in at over 20st. I have therefore come to the conclusion that eating less pies will equate to less creaking in the seats. Just a theory.

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Lots of niggles on the 400 in the past few quotes.

Just yhought I'd say I have a S1 NA Evora that is now 6 years old, 20k miles, a smitten smug fat [email protected] of a driver and my seats don't creak and I have no faults or niggles. :thumbup::thumbsup:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

and a happy fat [email protected] you must be! :respect:  My intent for the 400 has always been as my daily driver, at 10K miles per year on average.  So "little" niggles are not so little if you are faced with them twice a day, every day.  I know every car manufacturer will have some issues on new cars, no one is totally bullet proof, but some are definitely worse than others.  Lotus being very small, its also a very small sample size to judge on, but I'd hoped that with the reintroduction of the car being a year ago, brand new 400's would not be showing up with similar issues that folks had 10 months ago.  The US cars are supposed to start rolling out here a full year after the UK cars... its damn near the 2nd model year of the car.  I'd imagine improvements would have been made at this stage.

• Like 1

@C8RKH 20,000 miles in six years? That's neglect that, I'm at 5,000 in two months :D

@Colin G it is possible that weight is something to do with it, I'm hardly a light man. However, the cornering forces this car can generate means you will wind up finding the creak eventually - mine currently creaks under even moderate cornering and some acceleration.

I have asked whether it is possible to get a pair of Sport 410 seats on loan to test.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

Sounds ominous... You can't just leave us with that...

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

My car is having an issue which seemingly stems from the mass air flow sensor, which I have been told Lotus are now aware of and have issued a repair procedure for it. I don't think I've seen anyone else mention the problems I've been having, so seems to be just mine on here, though it would have to have happened on others for Lotus to be aware/issue a fix.

MAF sensor? Ah, takes me back to my BMW owning days. Oh, wait. I still own a BMW. I just forget because I haven't seen it for three months as someone's taking forever to rebuild the engine. Grrr :(

James Martin (JayEmm)

1 hour ago, Colin G said:

My car is having an issue which seemingly stems from the mass air flow sensor, which I have been told Lotus are now aware of and have issued a repair procedure for it. I don't think I've seen anyone else mention the problems I've been having, so seems to be just mine on here, though it would have to have happened on others for Lotus to be aware/issue a fix.

Colin, what are the symptoms?

It's a whole bunch of things Neal, including -

Engine stalling after start up.

Intermittent loss of throttle response with the car juddering/jerking.

Engine management light coming on, car showing faults for rich/lean running.

These are all tied in with comments I've made elsewhere on the forum where my car would drop out of sports mode on a run and refuse to re enter that mode without the car being switched off and restarted. When I was told last week about it being the mass airflow sensor I looked it up online, and my issues exactly match what would be expected if it was faulty. It's seemingly an easy fix, which is why I've not seen any need to cause drama about it on here, despite it rendering my car a bit unusable when I go to drive it on the weekends recently. (I work away in the week and only use it on the weekend) Due to collect it on my way home from London on Friday, so fingers crossed.

Any idea if the MAF is a Lotus specific item, or the same as used in the standard Toyota installation?

James Martin (JayEmm)

Thanks Colin. The reason I asked was because on the last two occasions that i used mine (Saturday & Sunday), I noticed that from cold in the mornings after driving a few hundred yards the engine would briefly become quite hesitant, almost jerky, before clearing and then being absolutely fine. Early symptom of the same problem perhaps?

I'm not sure if related (probably not) but when starting my car frequently coughs into life rather than barks into life. I don't really think that's related, it's fine on the move.

James Martin (JayEmm)