free hit
counters
94 S4 steering wheel plan - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

So, I'm convinced I need to replace my GM airbag wheel with a Momo Nero steering wheel.  After reading every post I could find on the subject I've decided that I will have to buy the wheel and figure it out as I go along.  I don't think there is a hub adapter that "definitely" fits.

My plan (prior to even removing the wheel, pics are off ebay) is to harvest the splined steel disc that is pinned onto the existing GM wheel and bolt it to an aluminum hub of undetermined height that will have the top drilled and tapped to match the Momo.  The center bolt would press the hub against the splined disc, so the bolts would just prevent the two from spinning against eachother just as the pins do on the original GM wheel.

Of course I will have to get a resistor to keep the Airbag light off.

Anybody try this on the (apparently) unique power steering equipped Esprits?  Any obvious logical gaps in my thinking? :)        

wheel back.JPG

wheel front.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The hub is not pinned to the wheel, it is welded on, and fairly substantially so. That said, you can carve it up, as I did. Prepare to spend the better part of an afternoon sawing and grinding to get it free and round. What you can't see in my pictures are the two substantial rods making up the spokes that are welded to the hub. Note that I threaded the two holes for alignment purposes, they are not threaded from the factory.

Then you have to weld it to a custom made adapter, which is drilled for both Momo/Sparco and Nardi bolt patterns. I have extras for sale, PM me for details.

100_1358b.jpg

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

Edited by sanj

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages