free hit
counters
Maldives Holiday - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Maldives Holiday

Kimbers

Anyone been to the Maldives? 

I have some questions as I have wanted to go for many years and seeing as how it's a landmark birthday next year we decided to go!

Many people have told me to go in our holiday periods as its much more expensive out there in December to April. is this right?

Apparantly it rains quite a bit other times.

Anyone know any good resorts? After my search on Google I am even more confused. I especially don't want kids around! A totally Quiet holiday

Many of the resorts don't have pools, but I would like the option of a Pool.

So any idea's?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want a pool? Are you scared of jellyfish?

Over-Water-Spa-Conrad-Maldives-Rangali-I

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Better go quick Kimbers before all that pollution from all those diesel powered OOOOdi sportlines and BMW Md's causes the sea to rise further and they disappear for ever.

Seriously though, no need for a pool, the water is beautiful and due to the cost you don't get many screaming kids there at all. You'll be fine and you'll love it.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

BUT, remember it'll be a tiny island, getting maybe one alcohol supply drop a week.  You should give them plenty of notice that you're coming, mate.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I've been, went to Reethi Beech, As others say you won't need a pool, you wont even need shoes! When I went it was adults no children, Stayed in a water villa. Totally chilled place to be highly recommend it. landmark Birthday? not 70 already ;)

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Been there 4 times.  Look at Cocoa Island -  stupidly expensive but possibly the best place on the planet (trip advisor seems to agree with me).  If you like snorkeling then Cocoa has one of the best house reefs - we usually spend 4 or 5 hours a day in the water.  Turtles, eagle rays, sharks - basically the whole cast of Finding Nemo.  

Food, service, trips, scuba diving etc are all great.  Only thing to be aware of is that like most of the islands it is tiny - you can walk around it in 10 mins.  

http://www.comohotels.com/cocoaisland/

BA do direct flights over the winter months otherwise you will go via Dubai or similar.  

Yes a few times, off again this year but now with our 9 yr old so kid friendly(kuda huraa) . We used to go to komandoo as the house reef was good, access to wreck dive and shark dive plus you got there by plane, made it a bit more boutique like but diving still good.

Black n gold

Been twice, once at Komandoos sister resort Kuredu - strongly recommend it. +1 for sea-plane arrival, males the trip that much more memorable!

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

11 minutes ago, Vanya said:

Been twice, once at Komandoos sister resort Kuredu - strongly recommend it. +1 for sea-plane arrival, males the trip that much more memorable!

Did you dive the Kuredu express? A lot of fun :)

Kimbers one thing to consider is a multi resort deal as the islands are close enough to transfer quickly and do give different experiences.

Black n gold

2 hours ago, Stubox said:

Did you dive the Kuredu express? A lot of fun :)

Kimbers one thing to consider is a multi resort deal as the islands are close enough to transfer quickly and do give different experiences.

No never heard of it. But I did the shark and wreck dives which were a blast - at one point we went out and dove around what appeared to be a sunken oil tanker. Weird sensation considering the size of that thing.

The cool thing with Kuredu was, since we came during peak season (think it was January/Februari) and they needed our beach bungalow for a few days they sent us out pro-bono on an indian yacht for a cruise which involved diving, island hopping etc. Ace food on board which the crew somehow managed to procure from the worlds tiniest kitchen. 

My recent trip was to Sun Island - it was ok, but not quite as charming as Kuredu. I can imagine Komandoo being even more intimate and "upmarket" considering it's a no kids island no? 

34 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

Kimbers, eastern Europe is incredibly quiet these days.....

I hear Crimea is open for business! 

27 minutes ago, Vanya said:

No never heard of it. But I did the shark and wreck dives which were a blast - at one point we went out and dove around what appeared to be a sunken oil tanker. Weird sensation considering the size of that thing.

Yes Komandoo is adults only now. Here is the express dive http://www.prodivers.com/info/31-kuredu-express/   the wreck dive is on the site too. 

Black n gold

What is it with the open air bathrooms? Every resort I have looked at has open air bathrooms and with my wifes insect phobia (she won't even open the windows at home in the hottest weather in case a big gets in) there is no way I will get that past her!

And for clarity, I like pools because I like the option not to get covered in salt crystals and burn to a lobster (which I do easily) :) I am also OCD about sand in my arse crack! :)

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

You'll be fine! 

speedo.jpg?w=830

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

1 hour ago, Kimbers said:

What is it with the open air bathrooms? Every resort I have looked at has open air bathrooms and with my wifes insect phobia (she won't even open the windows at home in the hottest weather in case a big gets in) there is no way I will get that past her!

And for clarity, I like pools because I like the option not to get covered in salt crystals and burn to a lobster (which I do easily) :) I am also OCD about sand in my arse crack! :)

There are no mosquitoes out there (they gas them to death on a daily basis, no kidding) and no other real insect nuisances to speak of. Our Sun Island beach bungalow had an indoor bathroom, but it was regularly invaded by ants seeking refuge during the evening. 

The open air bathroom ain't that bad tbh. 

Isn't there a colour beyond lobster? I usually refer to is as "British Purple" courtesy of many a passed out tourist from the UK I've spotted on beaches throughout the years....

Believe me. If she cannot make the place airtight she will not be going Guaranteed! Hmmm this may become a problem.

No one has answered my question about times of year to go? I have 2 quotes so far, Komandoo in April £783 a night and in August £234 a night............so in August it rains 90% f the time?

Not entirely related but... went on a bit of a trip round parts of Asia recently, one tiny island had amazing water to swim in so whole family goes in.  Almost immediately we see a lionfish, poisonous eels and octopus.  Spent most of the time in the pool after that. But even then there were venomous spiders there that could kill almost straight away.

Does that help? :lol:

Thanks Steve.......................Bognor again it is!

Honestly there is nothing to worry about with insects - the islands are too small to have much in the way of wildlife other than the odd bird & they smoke / gas the plant life to kill off any mosquitos etc.

December to March is the time with least rain & highest prices.  July & Aug are the wettest & cheapest - most of the days it rains however its short sharp showers not days on end.  I think the best time to go is April if you can avoid Easter - good balance of weather, water visibility and cost.  

If you like snorkeling & diving then the rain matters less.  If you dont like spending time in the water & just want to sit on a beach it could be an issue in July / Aug.  Actually if you dont like spending lots of time in / under the water then perhaps the Maldives are not the right place anyway as the islands are so small.  Try something like Guana Island in the BVI http://www.guana.com/  

One other thing to consider is that as a Muslim country alcohol is forbidden in the Maldives except on the resort islands & as the holiday makers are a captive audience the prices can be very high (think top end London prices and some more on top).  Drink is usually not included in any all inclusive packages.   For some reason thought this might be important for you to know....

Checked. "Selected beverages including beers and selected cocktails are included" Phew!

I am also currently looking at 2 weeks in Cyprus in May and 2 weeks in St Lucia in October for the same price as the Maldives, so I may not get there after all. (my friend owns a large place in St Lucia that he rents out, right on the beach). 

I do like getting wet and swimming/snorkelling etc. So Maldives would be for me (and a suit case full of books).

St Lucia is awesome but the Maldives has the edge.  On the other hand if you get 2 holidays for the price of 1 in the Maldives its a no brainer.  Time away on holiday is as much about who you are with and relaxing as the location.

Beat me to it!