free hit
counters
Team Phoenix Esprit - 358cid conversion - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Team Phoenix Esprit - 358cid conversion

Jon,

Sorry about the project, really wanted to have a look around that when it was

finished :D hope you can some how salvage the finaces and get back on track,

Keep your chin up, regards danny

A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 4 weeks later...

The decision by Phoenix Honda was a shocking turn of events and they even have the gaul to consider invoicing me for basically gutting the car and returning an incomplete project.. nice one Honda. It's left my finances in tatters since we went ahead and ordered most of the bits but end of the day we jst can't afford to have it built somewhere else.

Project has been advertised for a wee while now on PH and racecarsdirect.co.uk but with only muted interest. There remains one potential buyer but he's stuck with his own sale currently.. I almost sold the engine/trans to an Ultima builder in Aberdeen but by the time I went back to the other buyer and back again he went and ordered sth from the US.

so.. spoke to my dad last night - picking up his 2-tonne crane over next week and we're going to make a stab of sizing up and modifying mounts to fit the engine in. Looking at some Chevy ones currently whicgh we should then be able to mod to suit. From there it's case of going through the list of jobs and doing things in sequence. Ireckon there's no more than a dozen simply because the set-up is so basic albeit it'll take time after that to set-up it up for the optimum.

It means I've lost another season but would love to see the dream realised. Finances look awful but just gonna suck it in and go for broke. Will then continue to advertise the car for sale but will of course increase the ante as we complete more at each stage. I'd hazzard final value in the 35-40K region once fully built and running, simply based on its spec and potential.

oh - and we plan to MOT it and put it on the road as an extreme road-racer.

Wish us luck chaps... we're going to need it.

Jon

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

At the end of the day investing your time is just that YOUR time.

It is certainly the way to go if you think you have the skills or know people that do (think that may be covered here! :thumbsup: ).

So much is achievable it may take you longer in the end but I would bet that you will be happier come the end and you can turn round and say I did that :(

Good luck

Fantastic News Jon,

Really looking forward to seeing your project finished,

Glad your keeping it as i feel you would of really regreted selling it!

Good luck jon,

regards danny :thumbsup:

A

Good to hear you're giving it another go Jon.

From what I can make out, you've probably done most of the spending already, so it's mostly putting it all together. If you can do that yourself, which is practical now the pressure to make this year's season is off, I reckon you're in with a good chance. As I've said before, it'd be a real shame to see all your effort come to nought.

I love the idea of putting it on the road. Are the no speed humps near you?

Good luck,

Phil

More speed, less haste

Good to hear you're giving it another go Jon.

From what I can make out, you've probably done most of the spending already, so it's mostly putting it all together. If you can do that yourself, which is practical now the pressure to make this year's season is off, I reckon you're in with a good chance. As I've said before, it'd be a real shame to see all your effort come to nought.

I love the idea of putting it on the road. Are the no speed humps near you?

Good luck,

Phil

There is Phil, so will need to come up with a devious plan - front end will be detachable which will help. little ramps may be one idea or making the lower splitter detachable.

I would have regretted seeing it go but if the right offer comes along then head may still have to rule heart. In the meantime we can get the car built, put it up for an exurberant price tag. At the end of the day it's the car I've always wanted ever since I watched racing films as a lad. It sems to be coinciding with uber track biased cars from Ferrari, Pagaini, RUF, Koneiggsegg etc for prices in excess of 250,000 so I think at approx 40K built tag my car is a bargain.

tks for the support chaps.

Jon

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jon

Realy good to see that you are getting forward again.

My advice is to get it running with the parts you have

and then do the other things like bigger wheels,brakes,aerodynamid etc..

I feel its much better to do 1 thing at the time and complete that,then go one with the next thing.

What are you doing to the car at the moment?

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

• 3 weeks later...

Right guys - got a call from Martyn last night - Phoenix's inertia problems were probably due to the fact they must have sized the engine in the available space then parked it (without telling me). Martyn says the engine is just simply too big for the current chassis so various tubes etc will need to be cut and a new tubular rear end made up. Also the oil filter will need relocated by remote and even the short nose water pump introdues too much so will switch to an electric pump. We're also going to go with a fab'd long-range fuel tank.

It's actually best to do the whole thing and compromise the things that can be added later without upsetting the overall balance.

Apparently he'll have to tilt the engine to get the upside down G50-50 more level with the rear hubs so that the shafts will last longer than 5 seconds. That means he'd be tilting the intake manifold and downdraught carb.. That'll mess the float champer I'm guessing so an adaptor plate will be needed..

The stepped-stahl headers also wont work so he's getting an ex-F1 guy to make me up some, which apparently rock and he found an imbalance in the measurements between the two banks anyway - that's probably because they're for an oval set-up, that or they were rubbish.

Explains why no one has done this outside of a spaceframe.

Pics to follow - promise.

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Jon

I have to say that when you said your 358 would fit I was a little suprised.

The Audi lump ONLY just goes in and your engine is a fair bit bigger, same goes for the headers.

Still, good to hear you are making a bit of progress.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

• 4 weeks later...

some pics coming soon guys - tight fit for sure - custom headers and exhaust planned. EWP water pump also to replace the belt driven pump plus heavy duty twin oil filter kit with relocation kit.

What my guy now needs is any details/pics of the underbody/floorplan of the GT1/GT2 cars - we're going for a ground effects kit where possible but making it adaptable to drive on road or lower for track - i.e. bolt-on.

btw - does anyone have an intimate knowledge of MOT headlight reqs?

Best rgds

Jon

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Jon,

Glad to see you and your man have worked out the engine fitting problems :thumbup

cant wait for you to post some pics, hope everything else is going ok on the project

bet you are glad you didnt sell the thing now you would of only regretted it a

bit further down the line! well cant help you on the mot light guidelines, btw

have you now come to a decision on a set of lights! well keep up the good work

jon and glad to see you updating this thread, look forward to your next update

chap great project :(

regards danny

A

Basically the rear end needs rebuilt with various new chassis tubes - this is mainly to get the engine low enough for the trans and also CoG. Have to compromise a little for sump clearance so this is where dry sumping will come in later and we can mod the mounts at that point and realign the trans-shafts for the optimum.

So much to consider - big thing is making everything over-engineered and looking at cooling the whole package.. EWP 110L pump on its way down to Wales - lovely peice of kit - bigger than a T4 turbo and has it's own cooling fan..

jst need to post some pics to photobucket - they're not great but show how tight sme of the spaces are.

It's a pity about the exhaust-headers but the one being made it from an ex-F1 chappie who apparently can play some sweet tunes.

btw have you now come to a decision on a set of lights!

It's a good question - looking to use some bubble mounts where the old pop-ups go - probably composite of some sort. That means using compact bullet headlights and that's proving the trickiest part - getting those at a decent price.

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Basically the rear end needs rebuilt with various new chassis tubes - this is mainly to get the engine low enough for the trans and also CoG. Have to compromise a little for sump clearance so this is where dry sumping will come in later and we can mod the mounts at that point and realign the trans-shafts for the optimum.

Ahhhhhh, progress continues, good to see :(

Remember that if you modify the chassis then you will defo need to put the car through an SVA test to be able to use it on the road, that really is a nightmare you want to avoid if you can.

Andy

Edited by hilly

bet you are glad you didnt sell the thing now you would of only regretted it a

bit further down the line!

To be honest it's still pretty scary but we're at leats making progress - the previous garage want

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Hopefully the mods to the chassis are not too severe and we can negate.

Jon

Now I wouldn't mind standing around at the back of the testing station when you try and negotiate that one :(

Hilly

Edited by hilly

ok - first picture shows it's a tight fit - length is pretty close and and it's wide. On the plus side the G50 trans is way lighter and shorter than the UN1 with less overhand aft of the shafts.

1statemptwithwaterpump.jpg

newharnessbar.jpg

noroomfororiginalmanifolds.jpg

offsideenginemount.jpg

waterpump.jpg

mounts have been made up and Martyn has got the block sitting nice and low - helped in part by a shallow style champ pan. He's going to leave enough clearance if car goes on the road but otherwise the CoG shouldn't be half as bad as first thought and the filter would technically not portrude above the original buttress line.. The shallow angle heads (18d) means it's not too tall or long tho typically chevy sbc wide which neccesitates the chassis modification etc.

Not pretty but then everything about this car will be nasty..

cooling is a bit factor so we need to relocate both water pump and oil filter for clearance - twin truck oil filter kit going in plus 110l ewp water pump plus oil coolers and heat exchanger.

Edited by M Blur

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif