free hit
counters
Idleing gremlin - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
actwon

Idleing gremlin

So, my new problem is this. sometime my car will not idle correctly and will stall.

My car normally idles at 1k rpms. It will drop to ~700 the stall out. This is intermittent. I use 93 octane, but I was using British Petroleum, primarily. Then I switched gas companies (Hess, Sunoco).

can you give me some pointers what to check? Right now it is idleing fine. I do plan on getting some Nology wires and the NGK spark plugs. Should I go Iridium? I also plan on installing an MSD ignition coil. Help.. Thanks.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The ECu learns idle, and somtimes it forgets ....

First reset the ECU

have car idle with AC off for 10 minutes

turn AC on let idle for 10 minutes

Then drive at city speeds with AC off for about 10 miles stop and go

the do the same with AC on

The ECU then should of learned idle for the needed conditions

If you disconnect the battery the ECU looses its memory and you will have to teach it idle again.

The stock igition componets are sufficent and donot need upgrade.

The coil packs are under the plenium. They are very well designed for the job.

Upgrades will not improve perfomance as they system is designed to work together.

Change one piece and you will need to re-design the rest.

This includes the ECU as well/

Good luck

-Larry

So, my new problem is this.  sometime my car will not idle correctly and will stall.

My car normally idles at 1k rpms.  It will drop to ~700 the stall out. This is intermittent.  I use 93 octane, but I was using British Petroleum, primarily.  Then I switched gas companies (Hess, Sunoco).

can you give me some pointers what to check?  Right now it is idleing fine.  I do plan on getting some Nology wires and the NGK spark plugs.  Should I go Iridium? I also plan on installing an MSD ignition coil.  Help..  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you say sometimes, is it when your car is warm (but not up to temperature). I have a similar problem. When the cra is hot it starts and idles fine. When it is cold it starts and idles (high) fine (choke). But if I have driven and then leave it for a while (say 1/2 hour) then come back, the idle it terrible and I regularly stall (v embaressing in a car park or some such). If these are your symptoms, then I am reliably informed it is the idle control valve that is the culprit. Seems a reasonably large job changing this, and so I am living with it at the moment. One day i will think about fixing, but not just at the moment.

Phil B