free hit
counters
100 Years ago today. The Somme - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

100 Years ago today. The Somme

Kimbers

100 Years ago 60,000 young men were preparing to go over the top at the somme. Of that first phase 15,000 were killed, the majority of the rest injured. 

I would like to take this opportunity to pass on my absolute respect for all those who have fought for their country and families who have lost loved one's protecting what they hold dear. 

My great Uncle, Frank Wells would volunteer after seeing the losses of this battle, Joining the Royal Sussex Regiment, 13th Battalion, in October 1916. He would die after being shot in Northern France in 1918. My other Great Uncle would die in a Lancaster bomber towards the end of WW2.

RIP. 

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

All respect to Jeremy Deller for organising the mute troupes of WW1 soldiers who appeared at stations and other public places.

They did not speak or "perform" other than to sing the WW1 song "We`re here because we`re here" and simply handed out cards to enquirers with the name of a soldier killed at The Somme.

That brought home to many the loss of a living breathing person and in doing so  gave new life to those thousands of names carved in stone .  

(To my Grandfathers who served :  Capt William  Grounds, Capt Ronald Rubinstein of the Fifth Gloucestershire Regiment,  My Great Grandfather Colonel Solomon J.Solomon )

• Like 1

I visited Ypres and The Somme last year and vowed to return for the 100th. I have just come back from what was a very moving experience. We chose to visit the Sunken Road, Beaumont Hamel  at 7:20 am when the Mine was detonated (Now the Hawthorn Ridge Crater).

http://www.webmatters.net/txtpat/?id=61

At 7:28, whistles blew, we were given a tot of rum and an envelope containing the name of a soldier. At 7:30 we climbed what remains of the trench and opened our envelopes.  Arthur Cox was a Londoner. He died on the 1st July 1916 at a few minutes after 7:30 and we remembered him by laying a poppy on his grave.

Lest we Forget

• Like 2

Out for a Blat or on the Allotment

A touching tribute to those who gave their future for ours.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

A touching tribute to those who gave their future for ours.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.