free hit
counters
How do you get rid of moles? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

How do you get rid of moles?

march

Before anyone says it I know "There is only one way to get rid of a mole......."

But I actually have a mole problem! Our gardens look like the Somme and walking on the lawn can be dangerous in case you fall down a collapsed mole burrow (we have big moles in Devon). I currently have approximately ten traps out and each morning I go out and check them only to find the moles have gone around them or just dug them up and tossed them to one side with complete disdain. The farm cat has actually caught one or two of them but I think the moles are now teaming up and fighting back. I have tried starving the cat as an incentive but the ungrateful thing just gets thin and yowls a lot, all the time, so I have had to feed it just to get it to shut up.

The next move is mole smoke but I am not sure how effective it will be so has anybody got any experience of successfully massacring some moles? Oh and I have no wish to spend the night sitting on a rotating stool with a torch and my shotgun!

Any help gratefully appreciated:)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A hide that looks like your garden and an air rifle?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

It sounds funny but I bet its not really a laughing matter.

I read this...

Here are the best ways to get rid of moles humanely:

Dig a mole barrier. Dig a trench 8 to 12 inches wide and 24 to 36 inches deep around the area you wish to protect. Fill it with gravel and cover it back up.

Create a pit trap. Dig into a mole tunnel and place a large jar with the rim level with the bottom of the tunnel. Cover the tunnel with a board to keep the light out. Check the trap and release mole into the wild when caught.

Flood the hole. Insert garden hose into tunnel and flood.

Buy a mouse trap. Moles are roughly the same size as a large mouse and can be caught using a mouse trap.

Use castor oil. Pouring castor oil into a mole's tunnel will give it an upset stomach and discourage it from staying.

:) 

It's getting there......

Caught 3 of the pesty bleeders this week.

Trace the runs just beneath the surface and try to find the point where they come from deeper underground. There will be a nice round hole. Buy some underground mole traps and set them at this point. Be very careful because the springs are very fierce and easy to activate, they will have a finger off in a millisecond if you handle them wrongly when setting. Wear some suitable gloves

You can put the trade in the runs but I've found that the above method is more productive. It messes the garden up a bit tracing the runs but its probably a mess anyway and you can bed back in any turf which you raise.

Finally, forget about any humane method of dealing with them, where will you put them? needs to be far away so they don't return!

We started trying the various humane options. But in the end had to use the claw style traps. Got pretty good at it and managed 6 in one day. Helped the local Kite population too.

Really important to wear gloves as scent will deter them. Look for the shallow feeding tunnels and place them in there, not the mole hills. Make sure you prevent any light getting through as they will block off the tunnel. 

When you get rid of one it is likely an new mole will move in as they are solatory unless breeding.

We've not had them now for a few years but the field backing into us and neighbours still suffer. We think the installation of the treatment plant we have deters them as it vibrates underground. We've also put a French drain at the end of the garden which it empties into - they don't seem to want to get past that. 

It sounds awful killing the things but the amount of damage they can do in one day is sole destroying. 

Good luck - feel for you!

Once you get he knack you will start catching them within seconds of setting the traps. I got really good a few years ago and now help the neighbours out. 

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

33 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

Moles are very sensitive to smell.   'wash' your hands in earth before handling the traps 

A local farm contractor mentioned this - silly really but I didn't use gloves - I will try that next. Amazon do a good smoke bomb, the reviews are a good read:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atlas-Chemical-00333-Pest-Destroyer/dp/B000BQLWCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467917885&sr=8-1&keywords=mole+smoke

but I am tempted with the American solution, unfortunately I have been banned from using any solution that may also destroy the garden :devil:

26 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

You need phostoxin tablets !!

Will look into this Barry - not heard of these before - do they explode (I like explosions :))

Just looked them up. Unfortunately it looks like you need a licence to use phostoxin tablets:angry:

I will soon be taking part in this war, a mole has started visiting the flower bed, the flower bed being only 18" by 6', and being a cut-out of the bigger flower are that's done using weed control fabric and stones. So, the little blighter has either got his/her guidance system finely tuned to avoid that fabric barrier, or more likely there re holes beneath it waiting for an unsuspecting human foot.More of a concern is if the pest goes another couple of feet and reaches the lawn.

Our current cat isn't taken by the idea of sitting in an area for hours awaiting the arrival of the mole, unlike Marc's cat it does act if deprived of food (or what it considers deprived, such as food is not given within 5 mins of yowling) but it's action involves eating a bird or bringing home a dead mouse to signify that the full-board accommodation is lacking.

• Gold FFM
53 minutes ago, march said:

Just looked them up. Unfortunately it looks like you need a licence to use phostoxin tablets:angry:

Marc - just quietly ask around you farming buddies - you'll be amazed what you can find....

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Haha - I've got a real funny story about stripy foxes, two 47kg propane tanks, an auto igniter and the concrete floor of a grain store that became permentanly relocated !!!

Only here once

A few key points:

Trap type - the only one I have found any use is the STV type below - they can be wedged in tight and the moles will not push them out of the way

http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/ProductDetails.ice?ProductID=3249&gclid=CNOn7NGm4s0CFbQV0wodDzUP8A#fo_c=1264&fo_k=049403f41cbde50fe1ad2c0bc28497ca&fo_s=gplauk

Secondly only use them on deep runs not the surface runs. You need a bit of steel rod you can use to push in the ground and go between mole hills or if only one go about 18" away and work around until you find the deeper run about 6" to 8" below the surface. Push the rod into the ground and you will feel it give as you go through the run. Dig a hole just big enough for the trap so that each end of the trap is tight to the holes at either end. There is a knack to it but once you work it out you will start catching them very quickly. I caught one within 20 minutes of setting a trap once !

Feed them some 'Happy Gas' and then show them the light (at the end of the tunnel).  ;-)

I heard you can get them to go 20ft high.

2014-09-16-09-03-27.jpg

• Like 1

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Woke to find nature really taking the piss this morning - Bunny happily sitting on top of a new large mole hill. Anyway have checked the traps - 3 have been tripped but no mole (I may have bomb trap disposal moles), some traps moved this time using gloves. Will give it a few more days but I think the next option is mole smoke. 

What's the betting in a few weeks time I will be sitting on a swivel chair with a torch strapped to my shotgun!

This is now getting personal.

Score so far is Me 0 Moles 3.

12 hours ago, gregs24 said:

Trap type - the only one I have found any use is the STV type below - they can be wedged in tight and the moles will not push them out of the way

I have 2 of these at the moment, the rest are the claw type.

15 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

Pipe* from the Esprit exhaust, stick it down the mole hole, and start her up from cold.

Yes - Had thought of that with the Range Rover. It's in the potential arsenal of tools.

7 hours ago, march said:

Woke to find nature really taking the piss this morning - Bunny happily sitting on top of a new large mole hill. Anyway have checked the traps - 3 have been tripped but no mole (I may have bomb trap disposal moles), some traps moved this time using gloves. Will give it a few more days but I think the next option is mole smoke. 

What's the betting in a few weeks time I will be sitting on a swivel chair with a torch strapped to my shotgun!

This is now getting personal.

Score so far is Me 0 Moles 3.

I have 2 of these at the moment, the rest are the claw type.

I found the claw type useless

It is important to get the deep runs not the surface feeding runs. If you get the right run you will soon catch it.

Now it's F*ing war. 

This morning there was a fresh hill next to the edge of the lawn (must have run up against the concrete edge of the lawn and so surfaced), and had put out more soil on a previous hill (that I'd partially flattened).  This afternoon, I have fresh soil on the one at the edge of the lawn and surface runs under the lawn, with my crutch having gone into one such run. Since my injury has limited me in what I can do, I've become a little obsessed about the lawn (hands and knees to check for weeds etc) so he/ she was safer in the flower garden.

Now, where's the blow-torch?

OK so now work in an arc about 2' to 3' around the hill next to the concrete with a steel rod or maybe bamboo cane if the soil isn't to hard - every 1" until you find the deeper run. Dig down and then make a hole just the size to fit the trap aligned to the run. Make sure it is all smooth at the bottom of the run and place the trap firmly in place. Then leave it alone and quiet and check it in the morning. It must be firm and smooth under the trap or they will suss it out and dig underneath.

Well it's another day with the moles winning - 2 more traps tripped but no mole. One of which had a nice new mole hill on top of it! I think it could be time for the smoke grenades. Had to lift all the traps so I could mow the lawn so will give the little buggers a night off from their evenings entertainment.

Just been looking at the Atlas Chemical 00333 Pest Destroyer on Amazon, looks like it's being shipped from the states so shipping cost is horrendous so might give this a miss. Another option are some smoke bombs from Portugal at £16.00 for 4, the down side is that it suggests one bomb for each hole, if I was to put one down each mole hill I would very quickly reach the £100.00 mark so will have a think about it.