free hit
counters
How do you get rid of moles? - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

How do you get rid of moles?

march

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This morning, another hole in the lawn, so soil replaced and flattened and by 11:30 it had re-formed hole and hill, so re-flattened to enable lawn to be cut. 12:30 looked and could hardly believe it, the freshly mown lawn had been pushed up again, but this time the soil was visibly moving. I had previously placed a metal spike nearby, so this time I went and vented my anger The spike is 3' long and made from 3/4" round bar with a disc at the end so can be forceably plunged in the ground, and that's what I did repeatedly. I know that I'm unlikely to get a hit first time, and after the first hit the mole has probably gone out of the area, but the range and pain (caused by lifting the spike) combined to drive me on.

11 hours later and still no newly pushed soil, so maybe I did injure it, or perhaps gave it enough of a scare to consider vacating. I'll defer celebrating until a couple of days have passed, and if I wasn't successful then traps will be deployed, since I couldn't get the cat interested in the scent of the mole.

I have raised the white flag (technically multiple orange ones) this week. Mole beat me.

I borrowed a trap and followed the guidance but found that the runs went deep very near to the hill, so I ended up with a trap more than 12 inches down, when less than 6 inches from the hole of the hill, and was still descending at that point. First attempt 11pm (until 10pm there had been no new activity and I'd failed to locate suitable tunnel), at 7:30 a.m. I checked and trap filled with soil, un-triggered (mole had gone under it), re-set and afternoon same had happened, so called in a mole catcher.

Mole catcher has been and set traps but she's not hopeful for an easy win, as the tunnels are very deep due to dry weather. So glad I've spent a lot of time in making the lawn weed-free and even.

Pour in petrol and strike a match?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Whether that worked or not (and it's doubtful as the petrol would soak away very quickly, and be difficult to burn with little available air), it would kill the lawn on a much bigger scale than the mole would, leaving me with a few tons of contaminated soil to remove and dispose of.

So C4 is out then as well?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

That wouldn't drain away, nor contaminate soil (bar a bit of charring), it could even start a nice garden feature (pond?). So, not completely ruled out, although I'm thinking I should link in a scene from Caddyshack.

No light at the end of the tunnel here, the buggers have opened up a second front at the other end of the garden. It's back to the traps tomorrow once I have mowed the lawn but I am hoping they will meet in the middle, have an almighty fight and kill each other! I suspect when they eventually meet rather than fight they are more likely to have one hell of a party celebrating the joining of the tunnels.:angry:

• Like 1

Ferret?

I'll gladly ship you my resident armadillo if I can ever bag the little bugger. They aren't "tunnelers" (except for the small home burrow), more like landscape mulch "furrowers". And unlike ferrets, they come with their own body armor. They mostly like grubs, but maybe you can train it to dine on moleburgers. What have you got to lose, Marc?

• Like 1

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Did ya' hear the one about the mole who tunneled into MI6?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZSAc1kwfCV_6wMUdDoOc

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 21:40, Barrykearley said:

Speaker in a biscuit tin - bury it - with music playing - that is a kind way of sorting it

What sort of biscuit tin?

Foxes biscuits? or something to upset their 'Digestive' system?

6 hours ago, oneshot said:

I am reliably told that urine (particularly female urine) makes a very good deterrent to moles. 

Does this mean if MI6 removes the ladies' loo, replaces it with a bank of coffee brewers, and locks the building door that the place becomes less susceptible to compromised intelligence?<_< 

7 hours ago, oneshot said:

I am reliably told that urine (particularly female urine) makes a very good deterrent to moles.

I have just been told where to go having asked SWMBO if she would go and wee on all the mole hills :dizzy:. Damn - I was hoping to film it and post on the Internet, there must be some weirdo who would pay to watch that. This way I could afford to pay for a proper mole catcher.

• Like 1