free hit
counters
Just back from trip to Swiss Alps in the Exige - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Just back from trip to Swiss Alps in the Exige

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What an epic trip.  Six days in the Alps with a bunch of friends in a mixture of cars, exploring some of the best roads and scenery one could wish for. Teaser shot looking back at roads just trav

I neeed to do a trip like this. next summer, who's organising?  

Looks like Grimsel/Furka pass. Unforgettable. Must have been spectacular with the roof off. That road is so much better than the Stelvio Pass it's not even funny. Good to see an Exige being enjoy

Posted Images

I neeed to do a trip like this.

next summer, who's organising? :lol:

• Like 2

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Looks like Grimsel/Furka pass. Unforgettable. Must have been spectacular with the roof off. That road is so much better than the Stelvio Pass it's not even funny.

Good to see an Exige being enjoyed to the full!

:thumbup:

• Like 2

We used the attached map as our guide, staying in Andermat.   We did the top loop one day, bottom loop the 2nd, couple of days doing a bit of sight seeing , paragliding, etc then 5th day did the whole outside loop. 

Be careful on choosing dates for hols too, as luckily we arrived on the weekend they had just opened the passes, although that did make it busy.  The weekdays were fine 

image.jpeg

Edited by DJW
  • Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

17 hours ago, CocoPops said:

I neeed to do a trip like this.

next summer, who's organising? :lol:

Why not join us on the Austria trip in September, back via Lake Como and Switzerland?

I'm very jealous Dave - there's hardly a day that passes when I don't long to be in the Alps. Great pictures.

What was the general reaction to the Exige? I imagine there are not too many of them around in those parts.

For anyone interested in doing likewise here's a snippet from my route from a few years ago...

Day 2: North of Lyon to Monaco via Route Napoleon, Cannes, and the Promenade des Anglais in Nice:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Epxph8yDLwZ2K-NqL1KRz7W7Ouo&usp=sharing

Day 3: Monaco to Val D'Isere via Col de Turini, Col de la Bonnette, Col de Galibier and Col de L'Iseran: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OSQV6qQEx3J7E27U5e309fXtoZo&usp=sharing

Day 4: Val D'Isere to Gletsch Via the Petit St Bernard pass, Grand St Bernard pass, Neufenen pass, St Gotthard pass, Furka pass, Grimsel pass, and Susten pass: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T-07ALykvbypyTvQHE5Xr5QPznw&usp=sharing

Day 5: Gletsch to Bormio via Grimsel, Susten, San Bernardino, Julier, Umbrail, and Stelvio passes: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xpiP5ZHO19KTexM3ybF0LLdj4as&usp=sharing

I then went up to Stuttgart for the Porsche museum, and on to the 'ring for a tourist session - I can provide the route if anyone wants it but as that part of the journey is slightly more boring and direct, and not in keeping with the Alpine theme, I've kept it to myself for now.

I'm planning on heading back over there shortly in my Exige but will be avoiding the South of France like the plague (I never learn!) and will head straight for Obergoms in Switzerland from where the Furka, Susten, Grimsel loop (my fave's) can be driven at will.

• Like 1

Dean, very positive response from people, although they were spoilt for choice with a Noble and Ultima also in the group. 

Did see 2 other Exige Roadsters over there (foreign plates).  Quite a few caterhams too, which looked great fun for those roads. 

Neal, no idea re Sept.  Google job 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Must have been spectacular, more pics!

Having to travel so many miles, what kind of insurance do you guys bring against flat tires? Is it just a tire sealant kit?

Last two weeks in august probably better. have a google of when French school holidays are finished and try and go after that to avoid excessive traffic.

I went end of august last year and was generally good.

My mate went a couple of weeks later and there was snow on a lot of the passes.. I think there is an element of luck but I would try to at least be setting off during august.

DJW: how did the Exige compare against the Noble. That's always a car I look at and wished I'd had balls to buy.

14 hours ago, Neal H said:

Is September okay for an Alps trip?

Yes, we're off first week of September for a week solid of passes, not a problem, leave it nearer Oct and you're in the hands of the weather gods. We've have blazing sunshine and equally snow on the high peaks in late September some years.

Black n gold

5 hours ago, alias23 said:

@DJW great trip and pics.

Looking at your plate, was you at Donington (evening) a few weeks back?

Sure was. First time there so took a while to suss track. Were you in the White V6 as you were flying ?

Edited by DJW

10 hours ago, RedViper said:

DJW: how did the Exige compare against the Noble. That's always a car I look at and wished I'd had balls to buy.

Similar power so in straight line nothing in it.  Exige brakes are better.  Noble leans more in corners but is easier to catch slides.  Interior is larger than Exige.  Noble has PAS but no ABS or TC.  Noble has risen £10k in value in last 2 years !!

Great cars although do need a fair upkeep as getting on a bit now. 

12 hours ago, NANO said:

on wich dates ?

I'm attending a Lotus & Speedster meet in Imst Sept 1st to 4th, then driving to Gravedona 4th to 6th, then on to Grindelwald 6th to 9th before returning home. 

I think there is also another Lotus meet driving the passes around the same time

12 hours ago, Xisthos said:

Must have been spectacular, more pics!

Having to travel so many miles, what kind of insurance do you guys bring against flat tires? Is it just a tire sealant kit?

just breakdown cover and fingers crossed !

Some more photos of scenery 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, DJW said:

Similar power so in straight line nothing in it.  Exige brakes are better.  Noble leans more in corners but is easier to catch slides.  Interior is larger than Exige.  Noble has PAS but no ABS or TC.  Noble has risen £10k in value in last 2 years !!

Great cars although do need a fair upkeep as getting on a bit now. 

Interesting I assumed it would be quicker.

They still look cool now after all these years. That's some nice appreciationB-)

For sure there are Nobles out there running some serious bhp, but in stock mode similar to the Exige.  

On 11 July 2016 at 20:53, Neal H said:

Is September okay for an Alps trip?

Yes. We've done it the past couple of years and had some fantastic deals in top hotels - seems that the summer is over and obviously the ski season a way off. Weather's been fantastic, all passes open and you can tie it in with the GP at Monza via Como if that floats your boat. 

• Like 1

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com