free hit
counters
Exige V6 Cup - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

After many years of sprinting hill climbing and circuit racing in race cars I've had enough of maneuvering loaded trailers that are 10x my body weight and have decided to drop back through the classes into a road going car.  Have had many thoughts including 911's, Astons, R8s etc but keep coming back to the V6 Cup that I hope will get close to the race car experience I crave.  Have joined up and posted partly because I need a bit of reassurance, it's a lot of money for me to splash on a car.  Also I see 2 for sale at the moment and would welcome any opinions on either:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607015455693?search-target=usedcars&make=lotus&model=exige_s&searchcontext=default&page=1&postcode=bl09sl&sort=pricedesc&radius=1500&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=8

http://www.analogueautomotive.co.uk/cars-for-sale/

Thanks

Robbie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for all the advice and replies.  Went and saw it today and bought it.  I'm useless at buying cars, always break the rule about not buying the first one you see.  1st Caterham I ever went to see

Thanks for all the reassurance, still proceeding, plan to pick it up on Friday.

Welcome, Robbie. In terms of re-assurance, I'm biased but the Cups are bl**dy good cars, a hoot on track and to me, worth every penny when considering the price of the things they can keep up wit

Welcome, Robbie.

In terms of re-assurance, I'm biased but the Cups are bl**dy good cars, a hoot on track and to me, worth every penny when considering the price of the things they can keep up with when steered by a competent driver.

The Pewter Grey car is owned by a member on here and maintained to a high standard at Analogue Automotive, and never wanted for anything. It says a lot that the owner only moved it on to buy another V6 Cup in a brighter colour.

Warranty..as Chris says above, it's 12months from registration, but depending on the concern I would always lean on my service department to see what assistance can be made (on the assumption a 'No' is a reasonable response once the 12months is up).

Edited by Arun_D
  • Like 1

Thanks.  There is another V6 Cup for sale, a blue one in the north east, but it has the komotec ex430 kit fitted.  Is it wise to steer clear or not something to overly worry about?  It's tempting for sure, but I really don't want another 'knife-edge' race engine.

Robbie

36 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Thanks.  There is another V6 Cup for sale, a blue one in the north east, but it has the komotec ex430 kit fitted.  Is it wise to steer clear or not something to overly worry about?  It's tempting for sure, but I really don't want another 'knife-edge' race engine.

Robbie

Its strange that you mentioned that car because I actually looked for it earlier to post into this thread and was going to say it would be very very hard to look past that one but I couldn't remember which garage it was at.

has to be worth a test drive. extra performance will be significant!

Found it

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/exige-s3/lotus-exige-s-3-5-vvt-i-2dr/4822227?v=c

If I was in market for one now I think that would be top of my list, if the residuals were higher on the normal V6 I think I would be tempted to swap for that one too.

Im sure if you post a thread up on the various forums you will be able to find previous owner or at least someone that knows the car :)

Edited by RedViper

The Komotec kits seem to be very highly regarded and there are certainly a few regularly running around on road and track. I don't think I'd be overly worried about longevity issues with it - it certainly wouldn't be "knife edge race engine" territory. In fact the gearbox might be the weak link with the extra power and heavy track use.

There is always the argument though that 'Cup' cars are special and future value lies in their originality, but unless it's just going to a garage queen this probably doesn't apply.

36 minutes ago, RedViper said:

Its strange that you mentioned that car because I actually looked for it earlier to post into this thread and was going to say it would be very very hard to look past that one but I couldn't remember which garage it was at.

has to be worth a test drive. extra performance will be significant!

Found it

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/exige-s3/lotus-exige-s-3-5-vvt-i-2dr/4822227?v=c

If I was in market for one now I think that would be top of my list, if the residuals were higher on the normal V6 I think I would be tempted to swap for that one too.

Im sure if you post a thread up on the various forums you will be able to find previous owner or at least someone that knows the car :)

This car has been for sale for some time so you may be able to negotiate a good price for it.

I did speak to the dealer about 3-4 weeks ago and offered £53K subject to viewing it.  They declined, then a week or so later dropped the price to £52.5K.  Not a negotiating tactic I'm familiar with, car dealers eh!  Think I'll go and see it, maybe something was lost on the phone.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RobbieB said:

I did speak to the dealer about 3-4 weeks ago and offered £53K subject to viewing it.  They declined, then a week or so later dropped the price to £52.5K.  Not a negotiating tactic I'm familiar with, car dealers eh!  Think I'll go and see it, maybe something was lost on the phone.

Nothing lost on the phone.

I offered 54 when they had it up a 56. They said no and a few weeks later dropped the price!!

It's not there car is on SOR for a customer/ friend of theirs 

Edited by Seriouslylotus

ha ha I had the same thing at Stratstone Lotus when I bought my S240. offered cash there and then in showroom for a not very large discount they said no.

they reduced price following week and I bought next weekend.. funny how it works..

That blue one does look very nice like..

2 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

Nothing lost on the phone.

I offered 54 when they had it up a 56. They said no and a few weeks later dropped the price!!

It's not there car is on SOR for a customer/ friend of theirs 

And this blue car started at £60K, I did make a call about it - must be back in October 2015, but they were not budging on the price at all, seems a good price now, but depends if you want factory original or a modified car - how does that sit with the regs of the series you are planning to do?

Sounds like a great car. Congrats and welcome to a small but very enthusiastic club! It won't take many laps of your favourite track to make it seem like a very sensible idea, if not one of your better ones! They are sensational cars on track and thrilling cars on the road. As capable and enjoyable as many a track special with the benefit of being much more usable (rain or shine) on the road and for longer trips. 

The V6 Cup is a very strong package, more than up to hard track use and also happy to devour tight, technical tracks and power circuits alike.

Sounds like you got a very good deal to me and needn't worry with virtually all the depreciation taken care of by the previous owner.

All you have to think about now is where you're going to put your orange decals...

:thumbup:

Congratulations.  At least that stops me be being tempted by it now ;) 

enjoy. 

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Well done Robbie, and welcome.

Wonderful car you've just bought. Keep us posted on your thoughts once you've had chance to have a decent drive in it...

Having a bit of a crisis this morning, been phoning around for insurance and they all have the car registered as a RED Exige S.Spoke to the dealer who checked the V5 and the colour is stated as red, but original bill of sale says blue.  They say it is quite common for DVLA to wrongly input the colour,   Can someone who owns a V6 Cup please check their V5 and let me know what model it is registered as, is it an Exige S?

Am I over analysing this?! 

Thanks

Robbie

I had same issue aswell. Car is white. V5 said Black. Lotus sorted it out. 

Congratulations on what looks an outstanding car. Great colour. Great spec. 

Falcon engineering in Middlesbrough is where I take my exige and the previous S240 and Elise 111s before that. Check them out if that's reasonable distance from you. Steve / Dane are owners and are really car guys and get some ridiculous cars through their doors. 

I may regret saying this but where abouts in north east do you live? I'd really like to see what a 430 is like ?

Edited by RedViper
On 16 July 2016 at 12:21, RobbieB said:

Can someone who owns a V6 Cup please check their V5 and let me know what model it is registered as, is it an Exige S?

Am I over analysing this?! 

Thanks

Robbie

Same here, V5 says grey V6S but cars a silver Cup.

Black n gold